Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading home for Christmas

Options
  • 11-09-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get home for Christmas, but obviously I want to get back into Canada at the end of it. Do I need any paperwork beyond my visa, like bank details or anything like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Loblox wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get home for Christmas, but obviously I want to get back into Canada at the end of it. Do I need any paperwork beyond my visa, like bank details or anything like that?

Are you on the IEC with time left on it? Any time I returned to Toronto from a trip abroad I simply pointed immigration towards the work permit stapled into my passport and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Are you on the IEC with time left on it? Any time I returned to Toronto from a trip abroad I simply pointed immigration towards the work permit stapled into my passport and never had any problems.

Yep, my current IEC is good until May 2016. Is that all I need? I heard about some crazy stuff, like someone getting turned away when they got back because they didn't have proof of funding or insurance. I just want to make sure I can get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Will you still have your job when you return?

I went home and back 3 times while on my IEC and dozens of times to the US & back (we live right at the border). I never had anything to show them other than my passport. Although when in the airport I always said that I had gone home to visit family but I was coming back as I had work on Monday (or whatever day). Then they asked about where I worked, checked the visa and all that. But it always seemed fine once they knew I was working.

Same with coming back from the US, sometimes we got home with hardly any questions, sometimes there was lots, but typically once they knew I was working they didn't ask for anything more and just checked that my IEC was still in date.

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Will you still have your job when you return?

That might be the one kicker. My current contract expires in the New Year, so while I'm back in Ireland. Basically, my boss wants to renew my contract, which we would do before I left, but his boss is all "yeah, well, we'll see with the profit margins and the taxes and the clients and the I don't even know." My IEC expires next summer, so even if they opt not to renew, I could feasibly keep working here (and have quite a few freelance gigs based here that I could fall back on), and I'd only be short a month or so before I'm eligible for express entry. Catch is, if I don't book soon, tickets start getting expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I've left Canada and returned twice on my IEC! They just stamp the back of your work permit instead of your passport. Had no problems at all! ;)

• Advertisement

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    I've left Canada and returned twice on my IEC! They just stamp the back of your work permit instead of your passport. Had no problems at all! ;)

They didn't ask about insurance or banking or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

No not a thing! I was so stressed out and nervous coming back and it was grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

They shouldn't -they already covered that (presumably) when they issued the work permit itself. The permit should be all they require.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I've been and out a few times since I activated the permit and I've never been asked for anything other than the permit.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Who is everyone flying home with at Christmas Air Transit don't seem to be flying over xmas week and it's €1500 for return flights with Aer Lingus which is pure greed I refuse to pay them that. It cost me just under €500 to fly out here I know it's a busy week and I expected flights to be a bit more but that is just ridiculous I don't like giving Aer Lingus my money since their flights to Canada in general almost doubled in price over the last 2 - 3 years since they realised loads of Irish were heading over here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement