Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which "The Great Gatsby" movie is closer to book

• 11-09-2015 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

• I was told that there is a movie that is closer to the book and wondered which one? I do want to read the book but i want to to get a general idea of the over all story,
    • Also King Lear is there a movie that is closer to the book to better help me understand?

The reason i ask is i have am doing a Vtos Leaving cert and i want to get a head start. Im incredible nervous but also looking forward to it. Math will kill me though lol

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Certainly read the book first, then watch the movie, much better that way.

I've only seen the one version of Gatsby, don't recall any major differences from the book (other than trying to fit everything into a 2 hour movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭shazzerman

The version of The Great Gatsby you want is probably the one from 1974 starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.
    The best King Lear I've seen is Kozintsev's Russian version from 1971, but for your purposes, I suggest the Peter Brook version starring Paul Scofield or the BBC version with Michael Hordern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I watched 1976 The Great Gatsby and i got lost in the story but in that i count understand. The story seemed messy.

what about the Ian McKellen version? i got that yesterday, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Not seen it, but I'm sure it will be useful (going on the cast and the running time). There is a 180 minute version starring Michael Hordern which is pretty good too and should be easy to get on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hi,

Best of luck with the VTOS. I've only seen the DiCaprio version and read the book afterwards so not sure if this is much help to you for your course but when he was researching the Gatsby character for the film, DiCaprio also read Trimalchio (I think that's the correct spelling!) which is like a longer, more detailed version of Gatsby which Fitzgerald also wrote. He said it really helped him to understand Gatsby's reasonings and motivations for his actions in the Great Gatsby.

Personally, having read the book after seeing the film, I remember having a much more clear impression of Daisy's character than from the film itself. Apart from that, it sticks pretty much to the book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement