Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Trout Dingle Oceanworld

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fished in Argentina for wild rainbows, had them up to 18lbs and another guy had one of 24lbs. Unbelievable the difference. Would never fish for stockies again. Every fish took you down to the backing, and gave huge acrobatic displays jumping 100 yards out in the lake. When I win the Lotto it's the first trip I'm booking...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Zzippy wrote: »
    Fished in Argentina for wild rainbows, had them up to 18lbs and another guy had one of 24lbs. Unbelievable the difference. Would never fish for stockies again. Every fish took you down to the backing, and gave huge acrobatic displays jumping 100 yards out in the lake. When I win the Lotto it's the first trip I'm booking...
    Sounds like a fishing dream mate.
    I've got 3 places I want to go
    Frazer river in Vancouver for sturgeon
    River Ebro in Spain for catfish
    And any river in New Zealand for trout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

That sounds amazing Z. I've fished for stockies quiet a bit in scotland and done properly they fight just as hard as any wild trout of equal size. If they've been in there a few months the fishery has a flow of fresh water through it, and the water can support the density of fish then I promise you that a 3lbr will have your forearm burning and you will be doing v well to land a 7lbr.

I think the way waters are stocked here in Ireland is a joke.
    For example. The dodder gets stocked few days before the season starts and the fish have hardly move from the spots they were stocked. It's no secret so I've no problem saying it. Too many people fish it days before season starts which is a disgrace.
    Anyway I personally think the fish should be stocked the day the season or days after it ends to give the fish enough time to travel around
    I've caught fish on the dodder that were in the river for over a year or so and the fight is a lot better. And they're a lot more weary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think the way waters are stocked here in Ireland is a joke.
    For example. The dodder gets stocked few days before the season starts and the fish have hardly move from the spots they were stocked. It's no secret so I've no problem saying it. Too many people fish it days before season starts which is a disgrace.
    Anyway I personally think the fish should be stocked the day the season or days after it ends to give the fish enough time to travel around
    I've caught fish on the dodder that were in the river for over a year or so and the fight is a lot better. And they're a lot more weary.

That's a reason why, many years back, our club stopped stocking and changed to improving the river for spawning. We now have a river with a excellent population of wild brownies who give a tremendous fight and actually require angling skills to catch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I couldnt support a club that basically dumps farmed fish into a river. It's pretty much a crime. Habitat improvement and c&r is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Auldloon wrote: »
    I couldnt support a club that basically dumps farmed fish into a river. It's pretty much a crime. Habitat improvement and c&r is the way forward.

Same I support wild fish in wild rivers Farmed fish are a disgrace :( I don't in anyway support farmed fish in rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I'll be in vancouver in three weeks on a fishing trip, I'll be sure to put up some photos for you :-)

viper123 wrote: »
    I'll be in vancouver in three weeks on a fishing trip, I'll be sure to put up some photos for you :-)

Fücker :)
    My mate is over there on a work visa and lives literally 2 km from the Fraser river. Salmon should be running soon enough down there and by time your over there they'll be heading up river. Ya going for salmon or sturgeon? May aswell go for both of em while your there. Big king salmon and a sturgeon would make my year :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

That's 3 times the size of a 6lb trout My pb

Nice fish man. Whats your pb on a river?

• Advertisement

Wow this threa has gotten interesting in a good way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Fücker :)
    My mate is over there on a work visa and lives literally 2 km from the Fraser river. Salmon should be running soon enough down there and by time your over there they'll be heading up river. Ya going for salmon or sturgeon? May aswell go for both of em while your there. Big king salmon and a sturgeon would make my year :)

Will be targetting both, was over about 5 weeks ago and did a days sturgeon with a guide out of Chiliwack while i was there. Only one small one caught, but loved it so much booked a proper trip back as soon as I got home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Ebro is well worth it. Very accessible and relatively cheap. Worth a day or two on the pellet fish to try for a real biggie, but then I would suggest exploring beyond Mequinenza and the usual spots for cats that are still preying and not just pellet fed pigs. Some of the companies would sort that out.

Real good sport for zander along the gorges and some good carp too. Do if before the Spanish manage to mess it up somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

That's a reason why, many years back, our club stopped stocking and changed to improving the river for spawning. We now have a river with a excellent population of wild brownies who give a tremendous fight and actually require angling skills to catch.

My club has done the same, I don't think we are in the same one?

We used to stock in 15-20 years ago but the condition has improved so much now that the wild fish stock has meant there is no need. Size and numbers well up over the last 5 years. We have let a 50 metre long stretch almost completely grow in with rushes with the water percolating around and it has helped no end. Mechanical improvements have helped too. I don't think its been stocked now since 2000.

Its never going to happen that way for the dodder though. Or the Tolka.

I do remember catching an escapee 8lbs rainbow (from an upstream stocked lake)on it a few years ago. I was quite disgusted when it loomed up as I though it was a good brownie. The cat didn't even like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Bio Mech wrote: »
    My club has done the same, I don't think we are in the same one?

We used to stock in 15-20 years ago but the condition has improved so much now that the wild fish stock has meant there is no need. Size and numbers well up over the last 5 years. We have let a 50 metre long stretch almost completely grow in with rushes with the water percolating around and it has helped no end. Mechanical improvements have helped too. I don't think its been stocked now since 2000.

Its never going to happen that way for the dodder though. Or the Tolka.

I do remember catching an escapee 8lbs rainbow (from an upstream stocked lake)on it a few years ago. I was quite disgusted when it loomed up as I though it was a good brownie. The cat didn't even like it.

It would be some river (the Dodder) if it was looked after properly. Take out all the defunct or broken weirs and the potential would be something else.

I know of several Spots on the dodder that no one fishes and holds lovely fish. Can be a pain to get to but the rewards are great. 3 year ago found a lovely spot and spun a minnow and was hammered by a beautiful golden coloured brown trout. Had beautiful spots on it aswell.
    Great fight that took me some 30 yards down river only to be snagged around a fcukin shopping trolley an snap the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

I've not doubt it holds some lovely fish having caught and lost some decent sized trout from it. I just think if it was looked after a bit more there would be more of these better fish spread throughout the river.

I know of several Spots on the dodder that no one fishes and holds lovely fish. Can be a pain to get to but the rewards are great. 3 year ago found a lovely spot and spun a minnow and was hammered by a beautiful golden coloured brown trout. Had beautiful spots on it aswell.
    Great fight that took me some 30 yards down river only to be snagged around a fcukin shopping trolley an snap the line.

Stupid ignorant people dumping our rivers. Well sorry that you lost the fish :(

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    Stupid ignorant people dumping our rivers. Well sorry that you lost the fish :(

The dodder it's as bad as it was 10 year ago in terms of dumping.
    Years ago you'd hook into 3 mopeds before you'd hook a trout

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

As for Rainbows, a stocked fish will go as well as any Salmon of similar size as long as it has been in a good sized water for a while. People tend to use too powerful a rod on still water. I had a couple of "wild" 6 pounders the other week that were great sport ( and went back).
    Some fisheries are a disgrace with over stocking of poor quality fish that are caught while still in shock. Cages and trickle stocking works well but never sen it here. Got to watch for poaching though. I also think that stocking fish more than 3lb is false, nothing dissapoints worse than a knackered brood fish.
    Did not think I would be moving from Britain to fish for Rainbows but things have changed a lot in a decade.
    Brownies are too valuable to be taken IMHO. Many people kill all they catch, sad.

• Advertisement

Tippjohn wrote: »
    As for Rainbows, a stocked fish will go as well as any Salmon of similar size as long as it has been in a good sized water for a while. People tend to use too powerful a rod on still water. I had a couple of "wild" 6 pounders the other week that were great sport ( and went back).
    Some fisheries are a disgrace with over stocking of poor quality fish that are caught while still in shock. Cages and trickle stocking works well but never sen it here. Got to watch for poaching though. I also think that stocking fish more than 3lb is false, nothing dissapoints worse than a knackered brood fish.
    Did not think I would be moving from Britain to fish for Rainbows but things have changed a lot in a decade.
    Brownies are too valuable to be taken IMHO. Many people kill all they catch, sad.

I agree with u on the brownies they are way too valuable to kill. That is why I love catch and release :)

Not being un-nice. Just saying it's not worth getting bothered about. They were just captive trout and will seem huge to the average angler in Ireland.

Ledger Polite Mud, I know this is an old post and all but I was reading over my posts and I realised that you were right and I was dramatising over wrongly sized fish as a mistake. I am sorry Ledger Polite Mud

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bigjohn17

image_zpsxv4vircy.jpg
    That's 3 times the size of a 6lb trout
    My pb

Looks like Corcagh Park, shame the trout lake is completely void of fish now. The other lake has a few coarse fish left, all carp and tench seem to be gone.

bigjohn17 wrote: »
    Looks like Corcagh Park, shame the trout lake is completely void of fish now. The other lake has a few coarse fish left, all carp and tench seem to be gone.

Correct sir. Corkage park was my spot to go. Was great learning for the fly aswell. Learned how to present a fly and use lures aswell on the fly. Then just got good. I caught some big lads and some carp on the fly also. Once Godfrey left the place went to Shiite. You can fish with all methods on both lakes. I'd love to see it rise up again

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bigjohn17

Correct sir. Corkage park was my spot to go. Was great learning for the fly aswell. Learned how to present a fly and use lures aswell on the fly. Then just got good. I caught some big lads and some carp on the fly also. Once Godfrey left the place went to Shiite. You can fish with all methods on both lakes. I'd love to see it rise up again

I actually live close to it and used to did a lot of waggler fishing when I first got into fishing.

I sent an email asking about the status of the lakes and if there are any plans to re-open it to IFI who referred me to SDCC as they ran the fishery, 3 weeks later still waiting for a reply.

I did at least manage to get IFI to update their site to say Corcagh fishery is no more, so no one wastes their time going their.

Advertisement