Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hpat course with X entry

• 11-09-2015 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have to repeat my hpat this year and am going to do a prep course from xxx xxxxx. I've heard that they're the best! I'm going to do the diamond package which includes the 5 1 hour 1-1 sessions with a tutor and am wondering is it necessary to get the motivator too? It's an awful lot of money but I want to get it right this time around!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Robbiert

I feel like the motivator isn't necessary unless you actually have motivation issues (which I assume you don't assuming that you're willing to retake the Hpat). As a current user of the course that shall not be named (voldecourse amirite :P) I think the online stuff alone is worthwhile. If you're repeating I assume your mind is set but judging from your comment history section 2 is your weakest. Keep in mind it is the hardest to improve. However if you want it that much go for it, I know someone personally who did the Hpat 3 times and the third time got 99th percentile. Good luck, and happy prepping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Oh my god, seriously save your money. Every year this company throws out some shiny new way for them to rob desperate people. It's actually a complete joke at this stage. A motivator, seriously? How many times must it be stressed that it is an APTITUDE test and therefore cannot be extensively prepared for? The HPAT preparation course providers are the only people trying to sell the idea that the test can be studied for. Gee, I wonder why? You are wasting your money. You are either capable of succeeding in the HPAT or you're not and that's it. No matter how much money you throw at the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Always very interesting that it is low post posters that tell us all how great these expensive courses are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Robbiert

Oh no I'm caught, I guess I'm a dirty corporate shill. /s

Seriously though, the only thing more obnoxious than people bombarding this forum with x entry group requests is the separate cohort of people raining on people's parade when that course is even discussed.
    The effectiveness of prep courses has been beaten to death in every single Hpat thread since its inception, so please let us 'waste' (lol) our money in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Robbiert wrote: »
    Oh no I'm caught, I guess I'm a dirty corporate shill. /s

Seriously though, the only thing more obnoxious than people bombarding this forum with x entry group requests is the separate cohort of people raining on people's parade when that course is even discussed.
    The effectiveness of prep courses has been beaten to death in every single Hpat thread since its inception, so please let us 'waste' (lol) our money in peace.

Be my guest. Don't really give a crap what you do with yourself. I'm more concerned about the other people reading this thread that are going to be fooled into thinking they need to lash out hundreds of euro to do well in a test when they most certainly don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Niamhjkl

Theboybang wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have to repeat my hpat this year and am going to do a prep course from xxx xxxxx. I've heard that they're the best! I'm going to do the diamond package which includes the 5 1 hour 1-1 sessions with a tutor and am wondering is it necessary to get the motivator too? It's an awful lot of money but I want to get it right this time around!

Thanks!

Without getting into the whole no prep vs prep dispute that is becoming the ever more common on the HPAT threads, I too shall be repeating the HPAT this year.With an exam like the HPAT you need to walk in on the day and feel prepared, relaxed, in control. Some shall achieve this confidence and control they need after a few practice tests, whereas some of us, myself included, feel the need to study harder and for longer. Both cases have their success stories, and unfortunately both have their downfalls. You have to prepare (or not prepare) in whatever way suits you, after all it shall be you sitting your exam for your result for your college place. Nobody else.

With regards to the personal motivator, I do not feel the need to buy into it. Your HPAT prep is on your own back, as will be every other exam after it. Going back to sit the HPAT shows your motivation as it is, (the second time is already so much worse right?), However if you're in the financial situation to do so, and with feel it beneficial, why not? It's your preparation after all.

I hope you choose whatever you feel is necessary and that your study goes well throughout this year. Good luck :)

Advertisement