Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this alright for dogs - omega oil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

euser1984 wrote: »
    The stuff in the pet shop costs a fortune....

http://horseworld.ie/catalogue/trm-curragh-carron-oil-4.5l-p_15903-/

Thanks.

Personally I use salmon oil on my cocker, I buy one litre costs €20 last me 3 / 4 months.

Try www.zooplus.ie

I get all my dog supplies on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

How often and how much do you give? My girl is about 30kg....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Everything you need for your dog in terms of essential fatty acids is contained in good old, cheap sardines from Lidl or Aldi. There's also an argument that giving dogs (and us) EFAs in their natural packaging improves their bioavailability than taking them as a capsule or additive.
    There's no harm mixing up the sources of EFA... Sardines, herrings, mackerel, salmon, nuts, and oils such as linseed, cod liver, even occasional olive oil, rapeseed oil or camelina oil... Just don't stick to the one oil supplement the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

+1 for the good old sardines!
    Our dogs would always sell their souls for sardines/any fish - cheap as chips, can be used as a treat or added to a meal, easily sourced, and good for them too - win/win! (Plus the cats can have them or yourself can have them on a bit of toast for an emergency supper :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Just don't feed the sunflower oil as it is counter-productive, nutritionally - ideally use sardines in tomato sauce. Pity we can't get tinned fish in plain water here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Just don't feed the sunflower oil as it is counter-productive, nutritionally - ideally use sardines in tomato sauce. Pity we can't get tinned fish in plain water here in Ireland.

My GSD looooves the sardines in tomato sauce... won't eat them without it :o
    I've seen sardines in mineral water somewhere... they defo used to have them in Aldi, but I haven't seen them there for ages. I'm sure I've seen them in Tesco, though they are John West and therefore a bit on the pricey side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Would giving half a tin of tuna mixed with dry food be a no no? My guy will only eat dry food mixed with something else smelly and seems to love fish. Had been using half a tin of wet food per bowl but thought the fish might be better seeing as the dietary needs are met by the dry food for the most part.

pawrick wrote: »
    Would giving half a tin of tuna mixed with dry food be a no no? My guy will only eat dry food mixed with something else smelly and seems to love fish. Had been using half a tin of wet food per bowl but thought the fish might be better seeing as the dietary needs are met by the dry food for the most part.

Lorry it into him pawrick! :D
    Now, having said that, tuna is at the top of the food chain, and there may be issues with mercury accumulation in their tissues (it's supposed to be a potential danger to humans too... I haven't really read up on it so not sure whether it really poses a risk unless you eat 20 tins of tuna a day?)
    There's a wisdom that you should try to feed fodder fish to reduce the risk, so the little fellas like sardines, herring, anchovies are considered ideal. But like I say, it's possible that tuna isn't actually a problem at all unless you gorge on it.
    But as Boomerang says, there is most certainly evidence that you should avoid tinned fish preserved in vegetable oils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Thanks for the info. DBB. Will give the sardines a go next and see how she likes them. Had heard about the murcury too but was thinking the benifit out way potential risks once I wasn't giving too much.

euser1984 wrote: »
    How often and how much do you give? My girl is about 30kg....

Sorry Op only seeing this now...

I give my cocker (18kg) a table spoon each day.

but as the other posters have mentioned sardines are great - my guy get these one day per week, i give him the ones in oil once per week he ADORES them.

he also get a tin of tuna (once every two weeks or so) again in oil - again he loves the smelly fish :)

i also give him a whisked raw egg once per week - good source of protein.

eggs, sardines and tuna are all excellent sources of oils and protein plus they are cheap and cheerful. One the days i give him the above i dont give him the oils etc.

if you want joint care there are other products which are great... i use luposan pellets... Yumove is also very good.

:D

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    My GSD looooves the sardines in tomato sauce... won't eat them without it :o
    I've seen sardines in mineral water somewhere... they defo used to have them in Aldi, but I haven't seen them there for ages. I'm sure I've seen them in Tesco, though they are John West and therefore a bit on the pricey side.

DBB - i always thought the sardines in tomato sauce would have too much sugars etc? that's why i've never bought them?? curious now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Some pet foods already contain omega oils as well. I know the Royal Canin the Mrs feeds her dogs does anyway. Pricey stuff though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Some pet foods already contain omega oils as well. I know the Royal Canin the Mrs feeds her dogs does anyway. Pricey stuff though.

Your dead right royal canin is very pricey food....

but not very good quality I'm afraid there are far better quality food out there for the same price or cheaper.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Your dead right royal canin is very pricey food....

but not very good quality I'm afraid there are far better quality food out there for the same price or cheaper.

She is a small animal vet, I'll trust her opinion on it. :)

She is a small animal vet, I'll trust her opinion on it. :)

Doesn't mean anything OP - ingredients speak for themsleves I'm afraid...

Vets are not always in line with nutrition and behavioural issues in animals, same applies to GP's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Vets are not always in line with nutrition and behavioural issues in animals, same applies to GP's

I would agree with this - especially if the food is sold in the vets. I would guess it very hard to be impartial when you're taking a cut in food sales...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sprat FTW!! :pac:

Evidence speaks for itself, not ingredients.
    kathleen37 wrote: »
    I would agree with this - especially if the food is sold in the vets. I would guess it very hard to be impartial when you're taking a cut in food sales...

She works for a veterinary hospital. She is nowhere near getting a cut in sales.

Anyway, was just a suggestion for the OP. :)

Evidence speaks for itself, not ingredients.

She works for a veterinary hospital. She is nowhere near getting a cut in sales.

Anyway, was just a suggestion for the OP. :)

What evidence are you referring to?

And I'm sorry but ingredients do matter - "you are what you eat" and all that.

Don't take my "word" for it - 99% of posters on here who are VERY experienced would say its poor quality dog food.

Here's an example from their webiste - "medium adult"

Ingredients
    Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, wheat, corn gluten meal, oat groats, chicken fat, natural flavors, dried beet pulp, fish oil, calcium carbonate, grain distillers dried yeast, vegetable oil, potassium chloride, monocalcium phosphate, salt, hydrolyzed yeast, L-lysine, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], trace minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate), rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

http://www.royalcanin.com/products/products/dog-products/size-health-nutrition/medium-dogs-from-23-55-lb/medium-adult

its full of crap - its common sense really ..

first product should never read rice and chicken by-product??????????????

First ingredients should always be decent protein NEVER bulking agents and BY PRODUCTS??? not even chicken?? its full of bulking agents and not much else.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/royal-canin-breed-specific-adult/

The above website compares nearly all available dog food brand - and look
    royal canin get 2.5 stars - again evidence its poor

Your vet really knows her stuff ;)..... maybe you should pass they website above on to her :D

Your vet really knows her stuff ;)..... maybe you should pass they website above on to her :D

Cocker5, steady on, will you? Make your point without being so smart-arsed. Agree with him or don't, but that is irish_goat's OH you're talking about.. how would you like if someone did the same to you?
    I am sick saying it on this forum... you don't have to agree with each other, but addressing in a patronising or passive aggressive way will not be tolerated.
    All of the regulars in this forum are aware of this, and I've issued enough gentle warnings at this stage... next time I see anyone posting in such an patronising way, I will be taking things further.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    DBB

• Advertisement
Advertisement