Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your best summer...and why...

• 11-09-2015 11:52pm

So what was your best summer ever?

For me it was 1992. Finished the Leaving Cert, first summer going out with the woman who is now my wife, first time going out and drinking properly after a year or 2 of silly stuff, had a job so was paying my own way, got to the Uni where my (now) wife was (which had kinda dictated the choices a few months earlier!) and the charts were full of anthems like the Shamen 'Ebeneezer Goode' that we thought were great at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

Waiting for someone to say the Summer of 69!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thought of it,but you know,so cliched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

When I learned how to stop ejaculating prematurely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

300 words, title: mo laethanta saoire.
    In your own words.

And yes, you must use paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

kneemos wrote: »
    Thought of it,but you know,so cliched.

Sorry...I couldn't resist, was funny in my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Summer of 90. Headed out in the ferry to France, final destination south west Germany after a night train from Paris for a summer job. Me and about a dozen mates, Italia 90 and lots of drinking and general mayhem. Great fun was had :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Summer of 09, got a large payout from a personal injury claim in April and had a great time spending the windfall on a 6 week world cruise. How do you top that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Summer of 09, got a large payout from a personal injury claim in April and had a great time spending the windfall on a 6 week world cruise. How do you top that?

By not being handicapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Arm wrestling on a car roof at 50.

Repairing dent on said car with a spade handle and making others believe it was a shopping trolley dent.

Dropping my bike several times because I didn't quite understand weight distribution whilst cycling 40 miles to camp.

Watching Mc Ginley skim my plate over the lake at said camp!

Shooting stars

Cold Football Special at 20 miles.

Meeting Amelia. She was perfect but I didn't know she was into me until it was too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Every summer above ground is a good summer.

Apart from '85, it was just pish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

petrolcan wrote: »

Arm wrestling on a car roof at 50.

Repairing dent on said car with a spade handle and making others believe it was a shopping trolley dent.

Dropping my bike several times because I didn't quite understand weight distribution whilst cycling 40 miles to camp.

Watching Mc Ginley skim my plate over the lake at said camp!

Shooting stars

Cold Football Special at 20 miles.

Meeting Amelia. She was perfect but I didn't know she was into me until it was too late.

Is there a code to translate this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Every summer when I was young was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

First love
    Turned 18
    Lots of sunshine
    2 weeks in Spain
    Some great albums came out
    Met one of my music heroes at the time
    Oxegen '04
    Saw some amazing concerts
    Still felt excitement
    Still cared about life

Fun times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

1995, because the weather was awesome unlike seemingly every other summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I honestly dont have a best summer! I loved my summers from when I was doing the leaving and in uni. Part time jobs and travelling and doing grown up things...
    I suppose my best (as in ideal) summer would have elements of every summer I have lived thru! A cop out answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Met a girl from Tralee at The Cure.
    Santa Ponsa in August.
    Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

No particular year but when I was a young lad in primary school the summers were always great. No school, staying out late in the evenings and playing soccer with jumpers for goal posts. Sleep overs in friends houses. Trips down to Tramore and Courtown. Just pure freedom. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The summer of 2015. It was nice and cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

best summer, cant remember the year but all i know it was warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Is there a code to translate this?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The last few haven't been too bad.

any ones during later secondary school or college were fairly poor for me due to not actually having any friends to 'play' with.

The last few years I've had money to go places and do things, + the greater confidence / years to do things id like to do... As well as having a few friends of similar interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Probably the summer after I had graduated. Started working for a German company and they brought around 20 graduates over to Frankfurt for 3 months training. They put us up in a hotel for 3 months, everything was paid for and we also got daily expenses. This hotel also happened to be the same hotel where all the new trainee air hostesses for Lufthansa were put up. Trips to the sauna downstairs were frequent! It was the first time having proper money and first time having a proper summer in terms of weather. It was non stop partying, cheap alcohol in comparison to Ireland and beautiful girls. It was the sort of summer you never wanted to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

This summer for definite, I haven't been on holidays for a good few years until this summer ! Travelled on a j1 to Chicago at the start of May , had the best summer of my life did more things during that 4 months than I ever have living in Ireland . Also to top it off we travelled all around California for the last month .

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Last summer was pretty cool. Got the Irish Pub book about 2 years back and last summer managed to put a pretty big dent into it by visiting a few pubs. Oh and the weather was much better :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Summer of love - San Francisco 1967

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

1995... living in Cork at the time. Wine, women and song, plus 30C every day. I thought I was in Heaven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2009 were all pretty special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

World cup 1994!!! I was 10.

The atmosphere where i grew up that summer was the best.

World cup 1994!!! I was 10.

The atmosphere where i grew up that summer was the best.
    Where did u grow up?
    Just curious

• Advertisement

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Where did u grow up?
    Just curious

I dont think you need to know since you will probably never grow up!

I dont think you need to know since you will probably never grow up!

I'm confused do i have some sort of terminal illness that will prevent me from growing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

1992 for me as well.

11 years old and going into the final year of primary.

Locally organised soccer tournaments (We won!). Community Games medals (We came second!). Pairc Ui Chaoimh School Sports Day (I won!). The Barcelona Olympics*, Nick Faldo winning the Open, Denmark winning Euro 92 plus some cracking pop songs.

One of my favourites was "This used to be my Playground" by Madonna. A nostalgic song about her youth. Ironic, that I now feel that way about the Summer of 1992.

*There's something about the Olympics that makes a Summer more memorable for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Well done, it was you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

1995 was a good one when we had Scatman John, The Outhere Brothers etc.

My favourite was 1998 as I finished primary school, weather was superb, went with folks to Spain for 2 weeks where I had my first kiss :D Also played golf in the glorious weather every day for the whole summer.

I tend to base my life around music and when I listen to any of the 1st 3 Prodigy albums (only got into them around that time) they all remind me of 1997 / 1998.

1994 was a good one when we had Scatman John, The Outhere Brothers etc.

That was 1995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2012 was pretty good - first summer together with my now-husband, went to the Euros in Poland and the London Olympics together, also went to Zurich for the Diamond League athletics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I spent it in New Zealand and trained to become a OWSI with PADI (Scuba instructor).

The 3 months it took to do that were the best of my life. So laidback, having the time of my life with amazing people.

If i could be stuck in a timewarp, i'd go back in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Got married with my lovely wife.
    Went to Sharm El Seikh for 15 days of vacations, all inclusive and lots of money to spend.
    Scuba diving in Red Sea Coral Reef, 34-38°C every day, long days (we where there in June)
    Amazing food in the hotel (I gained 10 pounds :o ), lots of activities in the region and inside the hotel.
    24/7 with my love.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

1995 - 2001 inclusive were all great summers, but 1998 on my J1 in NYC was probably the most enjoyable to live through. This summer just passed was great as well, as I got married and had around 6 weeks off in total between that and changing jobs, which was pretty sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

One of the summers from secondary school when I had nothing to do and all the time to do it. Ended up doing nothing but I was fine with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Great atmosphere around the country during the World Cup.

Advertisement