Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Makeup is deceitful

• 12-09-2015 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Does anyone else think this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

So are beer goggles Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

A bitta polyfilla, has to be done.

It really depends on the extent of the makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dave from Cork rang and he agrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

No! Making the best of the good stuff. Maximising the bright eye, the pink cheek, the shapely contour. Showing your best face. The cosmetic version of polishing your car. Why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

My lipstick is always lying to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does anyone else think this ?

How much are we talking about here? I think it deceives women into thinking the more they throw on the more attractive they become.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

eternal wrote: »
    My lipstick is always lying to me.

The mascara said she couldn't make it to my birthday because her dog was sick but I saw her posting about her cozy night in with netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I hear that most eye shadows are shady characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

A wonderbra for the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Not as bad as a dog trying to lippy your leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

PARlance wrote: »
    I hear that most eye shadows are shady characters.

It's not like anyone bats an eyelid at the shady rumours. It's almost half expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

How much are we talking about here? I think it deceives women into thinking the more they throw on the more attractive they become.

I can't post the link but I was looking at something earlier. It had a before and after pic of this girl with red hair and she was barley unrecognizable when she had makeup on. It was like a completely different women and it just got me thinking how deceitful makeup is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I deceive people into thinking that my face is beardless by shaving it.

I AM SUCH A DECEIVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

An old but wise dude gave me some advise that is relevant to answering the ops question...
    "You don't look at the mantle piece while you're poking the fire"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

A bitta polyfilla, has to be done.

It really depends on the extent of the makeup.

Stunnah ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That no make up selfie thing that was on Facebook a while back gave a fairly clear indication in to how much different people look with or without it. Was like looking at 2 different girls in certain cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I deceive people into thinking that my face is beardless by shaving it.

I AM SUCH A DECEIVER.

... ya couldn't leave her if ya tried...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Clothes are more decitful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

A wonderbra for the face.

No thanks Ted.

• Advertisement

SPANX

close thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

An old but wise dude gave me some advise that is relevant to answering the ops question...
    "You don't look at the mantle piece while you're poking the fire"
    And even makeup wouldnt improve the look of the poker.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Some women way overdo it. I remember having white pillows and brought a girl back one night. She must have had it plastered onto her cause she left so much face on the pillow when she left that I woke up asking it for head.

Tone it down ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

To the OP - women wear make-up FOR THEMSELVES, and not for men :)

The application of make-up has been used by women - and men - for thousands of years, as a means of expression. It's an art form. Do men not alter their appearances to suit their liking too? Do you not shave, cut and style your hair, wear particular clothes?

If you really think that women are being deceitful by wearing make-up, then I'm sorry for you. I'm afraid you have an over-inflated idea of how important you are (no offence). The desire to 'deceive' you does not motivate women. I feel sorry for men who were brought up in such a way as to presume that when women arrange their appearance, it is any way related to you, or what you think. Perhaps it was as a result of some shortcoming on the part of your mother, or your father. Or perhaps it's all you. The fact that you wonder about this suggests paranoia and fear, perhaps of rejection, or of getting hurt. I'm sorry if you've ever been wounded by a heavily-made-up woman (honestly not being sarcastic, I mean it!) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Astrolabe wrote: »

The application of make-up has been used by women - and men - for thousands of years, as a means of expression. It's an art form. Do men not alter their appearances to suit their liking too? Do you not shave, cut and style your hair, wear particular clothes?

If you really think that women are being deceitful by wearing make-up, then I'm sorry for you. I'm afraid you have an over-inflated idea of how important you are (no offence). The desire to 'deceive' you does not motivate women. I feel sorry for men who were brought up in such a way as to presume that when women arrange their appearance, it is any way related to you, or what you think. Perhaps it was as a result of some shortcoming on the part of your mother, or your father. Or perhaps it's all you. The fact that you wonder about this suggests paranoia and fear, perhaps of rejection, or of getting hurt. I'm sorry if you've ever been wounded by a heavily-made-up woman (honestly not being sarcastic, I mean it!) :(

A bloke is a bloke. If you sleep with him he will look the same the next morning, while the same can't be said about a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

A bloke is a bloke. If you sleep with him he will look the same the next morning, while the same can't be said about a woman.

I'd drop it if I was you. She knows where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I don't think you can definitively say that. Some women are wearing make up to present their most sexually appealing side, whether consciously or subconsciously. Nothing wrong with it either, surely it's obvious that make-up is being worn even if it's toned down?

And I say all that as a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So you go to bed with one woman, you wake up with another...

and you're complaining about this?

:pac:

• Advertisement

Ah come off it, I don't think that's what the OP meant. I know people you wouldn't recognise after absolutely caking themselves in make up. They look like a completely different person and I think that's what the OP is getting at rather than what you are insinuating.

He/She asked a simple question, is it deceitful? Well, I think it can be. It can make people look completely different. Look at actors/actresses in movies/theatres, they can be made out to look much younger/older than their years.

And the OP never specified a sex!! Men wear make up too. You're jumping the gun a bit with the paranoia and fear of rejection.

It's an art form is it..... that would explain me waking up to a few Picasso's the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wear make up because it makes me look less dead. Sometimes I forget I even have it on. I feel the same with and without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Yeah some women go too far. And what of it? You're not obligated to ride them like. You could always just steer clear and let them get on with their business of choosing to look a certain way not to your pleasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So is shoving a Rolled up sock down my jock's, but at the end of the day I only ever pull horrors so we both end up being disappointed anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I met my husband without a screed of slap on me. I only started wearing makeup daily when I was working as a receptionist and now its purely habit. I don't look like someone else with it on either. Properly applied makeup only enhances features really.

http://i.imgur.com/pqnXV9o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

beks101 wrote: »
    Yeah some women go too far. And what of it? You're not obligated to ride them like. You could always just steer clear and let them get on with their business of choosing to look a certain way not to your pleasing.

I wear makeup to suit myself. Some days I dont but as I'm getting older I realise that I do look a bit more like a corpse without it :o

I think its weird that some people think its a deception. Sure you might look a bit different with it on but I always find it ironic that some people (men and women)can slate women when they dont wear some sort of makeup ie "She doesnt make an effort" etc. Damned if you do and damned if you dont so imo, just do whatever the feck you feel like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Makeup can make a huge difference depending on how it's applied I suppose.
    Saw this video recently:

This lady looks perfectly nice both with and without makeup, but it does look like 2 different people imo.

I think if I was single but then hooked up a few times with a guy I found very attractive but then after a few dates he revealed an entirely different looking face I would be a bit put out if they looked so different to the extent that I was no longer physically attracted to them.

Now of course that wouldn't always happen because not everybody looks completely different without makeup, some people look just as good or nicer without makeup, or you might like the person's personality so much that it is the main thing you find attractive.

But in the early dating stages where initial physical attraction can play an important role, if somebody looked like a completely different person to the person you were initially physically attracted to then I can see how the makeup could be considered a little bit deceptive.

Most people myself included do several things to improve our appearance. I colour my hair, I shave, I try to wear nice clothes etc. but 99% of the time I leave my face bare. I don't think anything makes quite as big a difference as actually changing the way your actual face and features look with makeup.
    I used to wear a lot more makeup in my teens, but I don't want to be that person that nobody recognises without makeup, or the person that constantly gets asked if they are feeling tired or unwell on a day that they are not wearing makeup. I want people to recognise me for just me, as in this is my face, this is what I look like on a day to day basis.

(I appreciate the fact though that I would possibly feel very differently if I had skin problems or scarring and also the fact that in certain professional environments makeup may be expected and even necessary)

When I met my oh it was a night out where I was in full done up mode, nice outfit, hair straightened, full makeup etc. I made a point of turning up on our second date in more casual clothes and not a bit of makeup. So I guess you could say that yes, a part of me must feel that makeup could be a bit deceptive and I prefer to be sure that a person likes me for how my face looks bare than when I am wearing something to enhance things.

That is not to say that I don't like makeup. I actually love it to play around with! I would always wear makeup if I was going for a night out with the girls, or a meal with my oh, or to any big occasion like a wedding. I would wear makeup to a job interview. I would sometimes just put some on if I was feeling bored and had time to before heading into town or something.
    So nothing major against makeup or people who wear it every day, because I know that makeup can be really fun to use and that for some people it really can be a way to express an artistic side or talent for it, or even just part of a routine that they find sets them up for the day.

I just think though that if you like to wear LOTS of makeup (which is fine and can look cool), that when it comes to dating you should let the person you are meeting see you without makeup fairly early on in the dating, 99% will probably still be attracted anyways but I do think it fair if it's a case you look completely different without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yeah it's part of why I don't wear much make-up - and the bit I do doesn't make me look too different to how I look without it.
    But I'm lucky enough to have clear skin. People can have lots of blemishes, dark bags under their eyes, have a very pallid/grey-ish complexion (I used to have that, but for some reason my skin has more of a glow now, which I'm very glad of), premature deep lines, prominent capillaries.
    I guess it is deceitful, but there's no malice there - nobody's setting out to dupe the shyte out of someone by wearing make-up, it's more that they're hiding what they feel insecure about, and so that they can be happy and confident with how they look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Yeah it's part of why I don't wear much make-up - and the bit I do doesn't make me look too different to how I look without it.
    But I'm lucky enough to have clear skin. People can have lots of blemishes, dark bags under their eyes, have a very pallid/grey-ish complexion (I used to have that, but for some reason my skin has more of a glow now, which I'm very glad of), premature deep lines, prominent capillaries.
    I guess it is deceitful, but there's no malice there - nobody's setting out to dupe the shyte out of someone by wearing make-up.

Yeah I agree, there's definitely no malice there. Makeup can be worn for a number of reasons, out of habit/routine, for work reasons, for added confidence reasons, for aritstic reasons or simply just for fun, (because it certainly can be fun trying out new techniques or styles! :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I bloody love makeup. I love the application of it, the colours, the formulas, the matching of shades, the various brushes, the whole shebang. If I could afford it I would buy way more than I have, and I have a decent amount already. It's definitely a hobby for me.

I wear very little makeup at work (just cos I couldn't be arsed getting up early) but going out I would do the whole lot, sometimes including fake lashes (although to be fair, I use the shortest ones of these because I don't like the very fake ones personally, but each to their own). I LOVE doing my makeup.

If I was to meet a fella then who was suddenly disappointed and shocked to find that my eyelids weren't in fact naturally coloured gold shimmer with a burnt orange hue or that my cheekbones couldn't naturally create their own highlight, then I'd be kinda glad to be rid of the thick f**ker tbh.

If you think it's deceitful then pretty much anything we do is- clothing, shaving, painting our nails, dying our hair, the list goes on. Each to their own- there are plenty of girls out there who don't like makeup for you do avoid the ones who "deceive" you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's the time element that gets me. If I cut my nails, thirty seconds, shave, about two minutes, comb my hair, less than a second. :p

I don't know where people get the patience for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It's the time element that gets me. If I cut my nails, thirty seconds, shave, about two minutes, comb my hair, less than a second. :p

I don't know where people get the patience for it.
    Enough practice and it can be applied very well in mere minutes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Whatever about the make up but Jesus the eyebrows....they look like a praying mantis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Enough practice and it can be applied very well in mere minutes! :)

This old dog is to old to learn new tricks at this stage! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think excessive make up is attractive but I think it's better than excessive fake tan.
    A big turn off for me is somebody who can't relax with their friends without being made or go to the shop for a few things without getting made up.

Has anyone on here seen the pic of Mila Kunis without makeup ? A beautiful women with makeup but a complete hound without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Smidge wrote: »
    I wear makeup to suit myself. Some days I dont but as I'm getting older I realise that I do look a bit more like a corpse without it :o

I think its weird that some people think its a deception. Sure you might look a bit different with it on but I always find it ironic that some people (men and women)can slate women when they dont wear some sort of makeup ie "She doesnt make an effort" etc. Damned if you do and damned if you dont so imo, just do whatever the feck you feel like :)
    Has anyone on here seen the pic of Mila Kunis without makeup ? A beautiful women with makeup but a complete hound without it.

Hate to say I said so but...............................:)

Smidge wrote: »
    Hate to say I said so but...............................:)

The only men who wear makeup are those on Tv. I've seen a few of them and they like complete hounds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

No offence OP but I'm guessing you're pretty young yeah? I get the feeling that maybe your expectations of what female beauty should be are fairly heavily influenced by things that are already quite deceptive*, because that's the only way anyone could think Mila Kunis is a "hound" (by the way, that's a fcuking horrible way to talk about a woman).

*Tv, films, photoshopped pictures, etc. just unrealistic standards in general.

Tell you what, since you have such strong opinions about what we shouldn't look like: can you give us some indication of what we should look like? With pictures if possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement