Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrostatic lawnmower fluid change

Options
  • 12-09-2015 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All

Has anyone here attempted a fluid change on the hydrostatic ride on, I have a castlegarden and its starting to slow down a bit and the hydro is getting noisey,

can't find out much info on the net on what oil to use or what needs to be done,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Maybe best to get it checked out.. Sounds like the hydro may be goosed. (have a look or dip a magnet in the reservoir to see if there is any metal bits in the fluid).

The little ride on we had on the golf course went for 2 years before the fluid needed changed and it was getting used 20 hrs a week in the summer.

The majority of machines use the same fluid and you would need a filter etc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes, its well worth changing to prolong the life of your machine. It is deterioration of the oil, especially build up of particles, that causes wear and the drop in performance.

Ideally you should use a fully synthetic oil, but these can be hard to get at the higher viscosity ratings. I ended up using a semi-synthetic 10W40.

Changing is not totally straightforward. There will be more than one chamber inside, so opening a single drain plug will not empty it. There may be two drain plugs or you may have to remove the gearbox and invert it. As mentioned above, there will also be a filter that should be replaced. Also they can be slow to fill, requiring quite a bit of patience. Purging air is usually done by slowly selecting full forward and full reverse several times, ideally with no load (wheels off ground and free to spin).

Try to find the gearbox model number and search on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Just a FYI for anyone else who is looking for info, there is a reservoir under the grass shoot that hold the fluid,

Topped mine up and it like a new machine again,

Castle Garden use Tuff Torque transmissions (in mine anyway) and the recommend 5w50 oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you might want to change the oil instead of just topping it up - there might be lots of little bits floating around in it

few bits here about it ( might be handy for others )

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

gctest50 wrote: »
    you might want to change the oil instead of just topping it up - there might be lots of little bits floating around in it

I'd also recommend that you change it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement