Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower gone very noisy.

Options
  • 12-09-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I have a mira elite 2 shower which has got very noisy. The noise is coming from the pump/motor unit but the shower is still working fine. Can I assume that this shower is on the way out but is not dangerous? Is their anything that can be done to fix it or am i looking at replacing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,095 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your motor is on the way out. Replacement motor around 120 euro plus postage. Your shower is 10 to 15 years old. Definitely not worth spending that on it. It's either a new shower or try to source a reconditioned pump online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have a mira elite 2 shower which has got very noisy. The noise is coming from the pump/motor unit but the shower is still working fine. Can I assume that this shower is on the way out but is not dangerous? Is their anything that can be done to fix it or am i looking at replacing it?

I've posted on this a couple of times. I get this issue a bit with Mira showers. You could search the forum for the longer answer

Agreed with cleaning the filter.

But I also flush the shower with limescale remover as we have limescale issues in our area. You can buy it in lidle. Also harpic limescale remover works .

What I do is run the shower. Identify the pipe feeding the shower from the tank supplying the shower. With the shower on you can feel the pull of water at the correct pipe.

I stick the nozzle of the remover into the pipe and let it run away until the water at the shower head is the colour of the remover (blue in my case) you need a lookout at the shower head.

Once it's running through the shower

Turn off the shower ,leave it overnight. Remove the flex hose and clean the head too, with remover and a pin if necessary.

Next morning, with the hose still off the unit run the shower. I get a lot of grey gunk at first then the shower runs clear.

I pop the hose on then. I do this every 6 months. My current Mira shower is 5 years old, the others only lasted 18-24 months .

That's what I do anyway, I can hear the improvement in operation straight away as some work has been removed for the unit..

This is a method you can use that does not involve opening the shower and it helps to clean the guts of the shower.

Its what I do, others may talk you out of it. But in my opinion flushing a system is a good maintenance task, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stoner wrote: »

Its what I do, others may talk you out of it. But in my opinion flushing a system is a good maintenance task, but each to their own.

It definitely works well alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,095 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There's nothing wrong with trying to descale the shower and instructions above are pretty good. A water softening system is the way to go if you have the cash.. Also there is a mini softening system that is just for your shower. It goes in the attic. I haven't heard how good or bad it is.

Just pointing out to op that he is wasting his time doing this as his issue is with faulty bearings in the motor.

Advertisement