Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS Installer

• 12-09-2015 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I recently installed "iOSinstaller" on my PC as a precursor to running the popular "Popcorntime" media streamer on my iPad. At one point I was prompted to connect the iPad to my PC, turn on "Airplane Mode," disable "Find My iPad" and after a lengthy installation procedure that put my iPad into restore mode, the App appeared on my iPad screen. However, when I tapped it the following message popped up . . .

"Do you trust the developer "iPhone distribution: Richel LLC. to run apps on your iPad?"

Needless to say I was a little cautious and tapped "No".

Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

If you are engaging in downloading copyright material, this shouldn't be a concern to you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Braggadocio

Many thanks for the prompt response . . .

Basically I'm just a casual watcher of downloaded movies, TV, etc.

So what you're saying is, if I'm NOT the uploader of the content, I should be OK.

I was a little worried as the message seemed to suggest that the "Developer" might be running more than just its own app on my tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I'm just pointing out that the topic may be in breach of the charter for this forum...
    No discussion of anything illegal, with special mention of cracked apps.

Gotcha! Sorry but I'm a bit of a novice. Thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

"Do you trust the developer "iPhone distribution: Richel LLC. to run apps on your iPad?"

Should I be concerned?

When you get an app from the app store, the app has already been vetted and signed by Apple.

When you bypass the app store you are obviously installing an app that hasn't been vetted by apple. You've no idea what else that app might be doing in the background hence the question 'do you trust the developer'.

• Advertisement

Good advice! The app never functioned anyway as it always turned itself upside down when tapped (for some bizarre reason), so I dumped it. Thanks again for the prompt input.

Advertisement