Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To stirr or not to stirr ?

Options
  • 12-09-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

i have 23L of Northern style ale in primary fermentation phase 7 days. It has come down from 1035 to 1012. In week. It is still quite cloudy. But it looks like it is clearing up a little. I want to get rid of as much sugar as possible in the coming week. I am going to add hops this weekend. Question is, ... Should I stirr it up to re-suspend some yeasty sediment ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Seven days is still too early to be worrying about what your final gravity is going to be. At 1.012 after seven days it looks like the yeast are doing their job and no external interference is required. Leave the fermenter alone for another week at least then take another sample and see where you are at then. The gravity will more than likely have dropped another small bit by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You can stir if you want to get settled yeast back to work in suspension. Though you probably won't drop an awful lot more than 1.012.

Advertisement