Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to London for a weekend. Am I better off getting an Oyster Card or will conta

Options
  • 12-09-2015 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Title says it all. Just wondering if it's worth my money getting an Oyster Card or will be TSB card work as it's contactless.

Only going to be using the train 4 times over the weekend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dmullins3 wrote: »
    Title says it all. Just wondering if it's worth my money getting an Oyster Card or will be TSB card work as it's contactless.

Only going to be using the train 4 times over the weekend

Don't use your irish card. You will be charged an international transaction fee each time.

Oyster will be better value. It costs £5 then topup by whatever you want.

Anything you don't spend plus the £5 will be refunded when you return the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Don't use your irish card. You will be charged an international transaction fee each time.

Oyster will be better value. It costs £5 then topup by whatever you want.

Anything you don't spend plus the £5 will be refunded when you return the card.

Or the OP could just hang on to the Oyster card to use next time, or give/sell it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭dmullins3

Thanks to both of you guys. I'll get the Oyster Card and keep it for whenever I go back again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't use your irish card. You will be charged an international transaction fee each time..

I was under the impression that all of the day's usage was charged together in one go at the end of the day? Maybe I'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Nope, each journey is charged individually. Then when you hit the cap you're not charged anymore. That means you pay a transaction fee on each journey if you've a foreign card.

• Advertisement

Nope, each journey is charged individually. Then when you hit the cap you're not charged anymore. That means you pay a transaction fee on each journey if you've a foreign card.

There is only a cap when using an oyster card. They don't have a cap when using a contactless debit or credit.

I was under the impression that all of the day's usage was charged together in one go at the end of the day? Maybe I'm wrong...

You might be right. I just looked at my bank account and i only have a single large charge on days where i was traveling a lot.

There is only a cap when using an oyster card. They don't have a cap when using a contactless debit or credit.

Actually i stand corrected. They introduced capping with debit and credit cards a while back.

Also here is a quote from the tfl site. They dont guarantee that foreign contactless cards will work.
    All UK issued contactless American Express, MasterCard or Visa credit, debit, pre-paid cards will be accepted for contactless payments. Other methods of contactless payment that meet financial industry standards, including mobile phones, may also be accepted. Some non-UK cards may not be accepted, card holders should check the TfL website before attempting to use them for travel.

Advertisement