Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink

Options
  • 12-09-2015 4:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Are Mink a danger to me when I'm fishing? Would they attack me? Would they go for my bait in the water?

Are they known for causing fish shortages in rivers?

Someone I know brings a stick when they're fishing so that they can "defend themselves against Mink". While they've never told me they've been attacked before, I'm still curious

Has anyone had any encounters with Mink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Many encounters and No to your questions. A Mink would only attack is completely cornered and this would not happen when you are fishing. They'll often watch you from a distance but will keep clear of you. They won't take bait. Despite what some anglers will say, there is no evidence of them having any significant affect on fish populations in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Despite what some anglers will say, there is no evidence of them having any significant affect on fish populations in Ireland.

I know a few places where there are Mink and a few more where there aren't any Mink. I rarely catch any fish in rivers with Mink despite being there for hours, but in places without Mink I'd be surprised if I haven't hooked a fish within 30 minutes.

I haven't had a close encounter with Mink before but once I saw two of them swimming together on the surface of the river before diving down again.

How big are they roughly? The size of a small dog maybe?

I know a few places where there are Mink and a few more where there aren't any Mink. I rarely catch any fish in rivers with Mink despite being there for hours, but in places without Mink I'd be surprised if I haven't hooked a fish within 30 minutes.

I haven't had a close encounter with Mink before but once I saw two of them swimming together on the surface of the river before diving down again.

How big are they roughly? The size of a small dog maybe?

The body length is 12 to 17 inches, depending on the sex. And weigh 1 to 3 pounds.

I have caught many fish in areas where mink are regularly seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

i was told mink are more of a danger to wildlife above the water. i.e eating birds and there eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I was told mink are more of a danger to wildlife on the banks, to birds by eatin them and their eggs!! ive seen them down the liffey, they're about the size of a cat

• Advertisement

I was told mink are more of a danger to wildlife on the banks, to birds by eatin them and their eggs!! ive seen them down the liffey, they're about the size of a cat

Yes, small mammals and ground nesting birds are prime targets for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

They won't take your bait but a freshly killed salmon or trout left on the bank whilst your carrying on with your fishing is an excellent meal for a mink so if there's on watching you and your not looking don't be surprised to see your fish running through the grass or reeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I was talking to an old guy one night fishing for sea trout. he told me he had two nice fish but was reduced to one because a mink robbed one, swam across d river and started munching on it. he said he was gonna bring down the shot gun the next night.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Had a lovely sea trout brazenly taken on me one evening last year. Iv since invested in some body grips and have had no fish stolen on me since. 😉

Does no one have game bags or keep pocket at back of their jackets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I can assure you they can take your bait. Happened to me several times around Lough ramor

I can assure you they can take your bait. Happened to me several times around Lough ramor

While the bait was in the water or on the bank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Youd be surprised if you haven't caught a fish in 30 minutes? You must be fishing some serious rivers!

I've caught plenty fish on my local river, which is full of mink. I think people make them out to be worse than they are. I don't even think fish is any bit significant in there diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was fishing the Robe one evening and a family of mink swam across 10 yards away from me. Was one of the best evening's fishing I ever had, serious amount of trout coming to the fly. I think they have a lot more impact on waterfowl and small mammals than fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Round where I grew up swans were plentiful,
    I used to see them every evening following the mother around. All in a line about three or four. She get fierce protective if we ever got near. I haven't seen cygnets in donkeys years now.
    For that I blame the tree huggers.
    Mink is only doing what it's supposed to do. Educated eco warriors should know better.

kupus wrote: »
    Round where I grew up swans were plentiful,
    I used to see them every evening following the mother around. All in a line about three or four. She get fierce protective if we ever got near. I haven't seen cygnets in donkeys years now.
    For that I blame the tree huggers.
    Mink is only doing what it's supposed to do. Educated eco warriors should know better

Huh? You do know mink have been escaping from fur farms here since the 60s? If anyone is to blame it's fur farmers for allowing them to be introduced.

If that's the case why don't we blame the people for buying them, why don't we blame the mags for advertising, the TV channels for airing programmes that feature them etc so on...... That there's a dangerous route to take zippy. Everybody gets blamed so nobody learns....
    Another thing. You are aware of business practices I'm sure, but lost stock means lost profit. I can't see farms losing too many stock. I'm sure it Has happened but very rare cases.
    It doesn't matter if it's a snail farm, cattle farm or mink farm. Stock goes missing is a damn inconvenience.

If that's the case why don't we blame the people for buying them, why don't we blame the mags for advertising, the TV channels for airing programmes that feature them etc so on...... That there's a dangerous route to take zippy. Everybody gets blamed so nobody learns....
    Another thing. You are aware of business practices I'm sure, but lost stock means lost profit. I can't see farms losing too many stock. I'm sure it Has happened but very rare cases.
    It doesn't matter if it's a snail farm, cattle farm or mink farm. Stock goes missing is a damn inconvenience.

You were the one who blamed the eco-warriors, but apparently we can't go down the road of blame because it's a dangerous road??? Have you any evidence that escapes of mink were caused by eco-warriors, and there were no other escapes? Cos it couldn't possibly be the fault of the farmer, they never make mistakes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Are Mink a danger to me when I'm fishing? Would they attack me? Would they go for my bait in the water?

Are they known for causing fish shortages in rivers?

Someone I know brings a stick when they're fishing so that they can "defend themselves against Mink". While they've never told me they've been attacked before, I'm still curious

Has anyone had any encounters with Mink?

They'll certainly take your bait/catch from the bank if you leave it unattended. They're not going to get too close to you though. They might be brave enough at times but any sudden movement from you and they'll scarper.

There really is no need for anyone to be bringing a stick for protection against mink. It would be similar to bringing a stick around the town in case a cat decides to attack you.

Reedsie wrote: »
    . It would be similar to bringing a stick around the town in case a cat decides to attack you.

I currently have a very rare rock that keeps tigers away.
    Hasn't been tigers in Ireland because of this rock. The ones in the zoo are literally terrifie of this rock I have.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    You were the one who blamed the eco-warriors, but apparently we can't go down the road of blame because it's a dangerous road???

Jesus h fcukin christ are you on the wind up?
    The animal rights idiots opened the doors of a building that housed thirty thousand mink and youre blaming the farmers. Roll eyes icon does not even come close to what I'm thinking now.

Have you any evidence that escapes of mink were caused by eco-warriors, and there were no other escapes? Cos it couldn't possibly be the fault of the farmer, they never make mistakes! :rolleyes:

The animal rights idiots opened the doors of a building that housed thirty thousand mink and youre blaming the farmers. Roll eyes icon does not even come close to what I'm thinking now.

Now I know you have no clue how business works. Farmers do not want to lose any stock.
    Kiss. It means keep it simply stupid.
    Lost stock equals lost profit.
    I never said farmers could not be blamed for losing stock, it happens, but they sure as hell don't open doors to let a potential thirty thousand mink to roam free in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

I currently have a very rare rock that keeps tigers away.
    Hasn't been tigers in Ireland because of this rock. The ones in the zoo are literally terrifie of this rock I have.

Dodderangler, I want to buy your rock.

Dodderangler, I want to buy your rock.

Careful, he has sold that same rock at least 4 times.:)

Now I know you have no clue how business works. Farmers do not want to lose any stock.
    Kiss. It means keep it simply stupid.
    Lost stock equals lost profit.
    I never said farmers could not be blamed for losing stock, it happens, but they sure as hell don't open doors to let a potential thirty thousand mink to roam free in the countryside.

Chill the beans there kupus. There was a recent deliberate release by some f*ckin eejits (I agree with you there) of 5,000 mink in Donegal. I'm not aware of other acts of sabotage, perhaps you could link us the evidence of other crimes, or the 30,000 you mentioned?
    Mink have been found in the wild in Ireland since the 60s - the farm in Donegal has had quite a few incidents previously of accidental releases. Once mink farming was introduced in this country it was inevitable. But it couldn't possibly be the mink farms fault... fact is if it wasn't for the farmers mink would not be feral in this country, no matter if there was never a single eco-warrior ever in Ireland.

right sorry for flying off the handle, but that rolly eyes pizzed me off.
    5000 mink escaped, there was 30,000 in there at the time.
    there has been other acts of animal activism terrorism, google is your friend. in one instance i think 10000 were released if my memory serves me right. Im too busy now getting ready to watch fra v it.

when a wholescale amount of mink released, they will travel further to get away from each other as they are territorial.
    to my knowledge farmers have not lost significant amounts of mink, and if they did, imo I dont think they would make a significant change to wildlife in the area, as they could be trapped, hunters will go for them, etc... but such a huge amount. well, the numbers are in their favor.

right sorry for flying off the handle, but that rolly eyes pizzed me off.
    5000 mink escaped, there was 30,000 in there at the time.
    there has been other acts of animal activism terrorism, google is your friend. in one instance i think 10000 were released if my memory serves me right. Im too busy now getting ready to watch fra v it.

when a wholescale amount of mink released, they will travel further to get away from each other as they are territorial.
    to my knowledge farmers have not lost significant amounts of mink, and if they did, imo I dont think they would make a significant change to wildlife in the area, as they could be trapped, hunters will go for them, etc... but such a huge amount. well, the numbers are in their favor.

My point is that mink have been in the wild since the 60s, so the release of 5,000 in 2010 (I think) was not responsible. It only takes a small number of individuals to establish a population, and they are endemic now. There are probably a lot more than 5,000 mink living in the wild in Ireland, the vast majority born in the wild to several generations of feral mink before them, very few were captive bred. If there was never a deliberate release in Ireland we would still have a high number of feral mink, their presence and abundance here is 99% the fault of mink farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I am a regular follower of this forum but other than "liking" pics from time to time I don't comment as I reckon that most of ye have more knowledge and experience than me.
    However in this situation and in my opinion, unless you can identify with markings or photos then it could be a mallard, fox, badger, stoat, ferret, pine martin or any other member of the Mustelidae family.
    As a childer in the (70's ) while fishing with my Grandfather, I saw a neighbours sow wading into the lake and creaming pike/perch/roach from a night line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Reedsie wrote: »
    They'll certainly take your bait/catch from the bank if you leave it unattended. They're not going to get too close to you though. They might be brave enough at times but any sudden movement from you and they'll scarper.

There really is no need for anyone to be bringing a stick for protection against mink. It would be similar to bringing a stick around the town in case a cat decides to attack you.

Had a load of deadbaits taken by mink. Funny, thing just wandered up to the bag which was 10m behind me, opened it and took a deadbait and ran off. And repeat. Probably took about 5. Cheeky feckers, but as you say, won't go near you. The idea of bringing a stick for protection is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

And we'll leave it there so. I think the OP's question has been answered and the discussion is moving to something probably best discussed in other forums.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement