Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Guinness

• 12-09-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭

Risky Advertisement ! What do you take from it ? My take is consumption of Guinness can change your sexual orientation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

6541 wrote: »
    Risky Ad ! What do you take from it ? My take is consumption of Guinness can change your sexual orientation.

Sounds like you have tried several pints of it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Guinness can give you a grand dose of black shites too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe it's more of that gender fluid they're discussing in the other thread?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Gay but still incredibly masculine so it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

My gender fluids are beechwood aged. For a clean, crisp gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They have the weirdest ads.Can only assume it's deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Decent Ad.

This one was from 1995. Never made it to air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

guinness turn me gay? depends on how good the head is

Can't believe I laughed at that. Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Good ad. I think in a larger sense it's trying to break away from the notion that stout/Guinness is for aul fellas with a gut, stained pants and a pneumonic cough. Most of my favourite beers are stouts, especially from the macro breweries. West Kerry Brewery's stout is superb, as is O'Hara's Leann Follain. Stout developed a bit of a tired reputation and this seems to be a fight against it. Sure won't they're be a better flow on it?

Although I prefer Beamish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Fukuyama wrote: »
    Can't believe I laughed at that. Bravo.

nearly patted myself on the back with that one ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hey quick question do the Guinness family still have the controlling stake in the company or is it Diageo? I know that they do still own St James Gate.

It's just that I was reading up on something recently about Arthur Guinness requesting that the company never leave ownership of the family.

Hey quick question do the Guinness family still have the controlling stake in the company or is it Diageo? I know that they do still own St James Gate.

It's just that I was reading up on something recently about Arthur Guinness requesting that the company never leave ownership of the family.

It's all Diageo now.

Which, in a way, kind of spoils this ad. Because it's not a small company showing their stripes. It's a massive corporation making a calculated move to gain traction with a younger audience who sees Guinness as being an old mans drink.

The 1995 ad was calculated but ultimately they bottled it (pun intended).

Diageo have taken a hammering off micro breweries. I've drank Guinness since I was 18 but any chance I get I'll switch to Galway Bay Stormy Port, Murphys, Beamish or O Haras. They're all nicer.

That said it's a nice ad and it tackles a stereotype better than any government initiative. So...yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well done Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Guinness has always spent a fortune on ads though and has commissioned some of the most iconic TV ads over the years.

It's also always been accused of being an old man's drink, yet someone's clearly drinking it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

thinking behind it is similar to the 1995 advert, in that guiness is the alternative pint... not like the majority of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Being one of the old fellas that prefers Guinness to the pishyellow alternatives, and completing the stereotype (I'm unable to show the appropriate link) - Keith Duggan has an interesting article in the sports section of the Irish Times today, discussing Guinness and its use of advertising.

Well, it's good someone's breaking the stereotypes and as much as I think some people will think it's bandwagon jumping, it takes big brands and big voices to make changes to attitudes.

The reality is there are plenty of gay men and women who don't meet any stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Guinness is only good for rear exit. Not rear-entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

GUINNESS - Once you go black, you'll never go back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Guinness always fcuks you in the ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i can understand effeminate guys like graham norton being gay.. but this guy??

can't believe he's gay, he's too hard looking to be gay he throws the whole gay image on its head

maybe he's just into it for kinky kicks ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Fair play to him for having the strength to come out, but I'm a bit cynical about Guinness using them in their ads. I don't see the link between the drink and his situation, they just seem to want to attach themselves to an inspiring story.
    If this ad was the first time he came out publicly, then I'd say they were being a bit braver.

It completely smacks of jumping on a bandwagon. It would have been an edgy campaign in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

philstar wrote: »

can't believe he's gay, he's too hard looking to be gay he throws the whole gay image on its head

There's lots of hard-looking guys on grindr and i've seen some in gaybars. Personally I shun the more effeminate gay scene myself (not that I'm saying i'm a tough lad -- i just can't relate).

You pass people on the street every day who you don't notice are gay. We only spot the more camp ones!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Advertisers are like politicians, one crowd is in it to increase profits and the other is to increase votes. It's all BS really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

It completely smacks of jumping on a bandwagon. It would have been an edgy campaign in the 80s.

Absolutely. Seen it for the first time last night and you could feel people cringing. It was in the Imax too and that made it worse I think. Usually you can ignore trailers a little but the fcuking noise of that place there was simply no escaping it Lets face it, it's good PR for them. No one in Diageo (or wherever it was dreamed up) could give two fcuks about homosexuals being more accepted in society. At the end of the day, they're just after the pink pound (and the fashionable one also) lets not pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

The last time I drank a pint of Guinness was nearly two years ago ( I live abroad) and at this time of a Sunday afternoon, I would do anything for a couple of pints of creamy black.

Anything!

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when multinational corporations use on trend social causes for marketing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If Village People have taught us anything, it's that gay men come from all walks of life - construction workers, cops, naval officers and Indian chiefs.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Being gay = being sexually attracted to people of the same gender.

(I'm actually surprised this has to be explained in 2015)

You can be 'camp' (don't like that word) and any sexual orientation. I know quite a few rather 'camp' straight lads and some very 'macho' gay ones.

Same for gay women, you can be extremely feminine and also just happen to like other women. Or, you can have spiky hair, enjoy playing rugby and be a female brick layer and be hugely into men.

Stereotyping people into sexual orientation caricatures is absolute nonsense. It's lousy for gay people and it's actually really bad for straight people too.

Oddly enough, if you're a non-stereotypcial straight person who happens to be a bit camp if you're a bloke or a bit butch if you're a woman, you're also potentially subjected to a lot of homophobia.

My point really is just, stop worrying about who people go to bed with! Mostly, it's none of your business, unless you're actually in bed with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I saw the ad for the first time today and did not know it was a Guinness ad - it is well done although I am not sure the connection to Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Isn't the advert about fraternity and brotherhood rather than 'gay'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

i wonder what the Aul Lad Guinness drinkers think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Isn't the advert about fraternity and brotherhood rather than 'gay'?

Exactly. There's another one featuring Ashwin Willemse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

These are the new masters of Guinness
    http://www.diageo.com/en-row/ourbusiness/ourpeople/ExecutiveCommittee/Pages/default.aspx

The Corporate Relations Director is a hottie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

It's quite homoerotic when you think about it.

Muscular men rolling around in mud. Talking about demons tearing him apart after he turned to them, as they then show him walking towards them in a dark tunnel. Then we see the slow opening of the previously closed "roof". Come on. If that wasn't bad enough. At the very end, he is lying on the ground and a team mate comes over and rub his bald head vigorously, he smiles and it then immediately cuts to the head gushing and flowing all over the screen.

Ah here. This should be banned ffs.

It just shows one thing though - rugby is the most physical and also one of the most progressive sports out there when it comes to inclusivity.

GAA has followed suit very impressively.

Sadly it's soccer in particular that has a LONG way to go on homophobia. I've always thought it's a bit ironic given that soccer players are the only ones who have a history of openly snogging the face off each other on the pitch!

StonyIron wrote: »
    It just shows one thing though - rugby is the most physical and also one of the most progressive sports out there when it comes to inclusivity.

GAA has followed suit very impressively.

Sadly it's soccer in particular that has a LONG way to go on homophobia. I've always thought it's a bit ironic given that soccer players are the only ones who have a history of openly snogging the face off each other on the pitch!

What precisely did rugby and the GAA do that they can pat themselves on the back?

Do you mean individuals came out themselves? It's hardly "impressive" on the part of the organisations.

• Advertisement

What precisely did rugby and the GAA do that they can pat themselves on the back?

Do you mean individuals came out themselves? It's hardly "impressive" on the part of the organisations.

The impressive bit was the reaction or the general lack of one. Obviously you'll get a few nutters but, for the *most* part people took it in their stride.

The problem in soccer has largely been the fact that there's still a fear of fans turning on players. It's not the clubs, it's not the national organisations (at least in socially progressive countries). It's an aspect of the fan culture or a taboo that they're not getting past.

I'm not saying all the fans are but, the fear of being seen as gay in soccer has to be huge given how long it's taking to see almost any visible gay soccer players. It just doesn't add up that there are no gay premiership players for example. Statistically there has to be a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It's quite homoerotic when you think about it.

Muscular men rolling around in mud.

hmmmm....

StonyIron wrote: »
    I'm not saying all the fans are but, the fear of being seen as gay in soccer has to be huge given how long it's taking to see almost any visible gay soccer players. It just doesn't add up that there are no gay premiership players for example. Statistically there has to be a few.

Gareth Thomas had played his last international and was on the verge of leaving rugby union when he came out. It's not unlike ex premiership player and international Thomas Hitzlsperger.

What's also notable about both the GAA and rugby is that, for all your praise...no other high profile players have come out even though statistically there has to be a few.

It's at least started though.
    There's definitely a culture to be gotten past though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Always pisses me off when something like this is used as advertising.

You see an ad that is dealing with a serious subject, in quite a moving way, and rather than being an ad for, say, donations to homeless charities, or a suicide prevention hotline, its for a bloody beer or a mobile network or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

osarusan wrote: »
    Always pisses me off when something like this is used as advertising.

You see an ad that is dealing with a serious subject, in quite a moving way, and rather than being an ad for, say, donations to homeless charities, or a suicide prevention hotline, its for a bloody beer or a mobile network or something.

But you could not have an ad to donate to Gay people could you ?

It probably should include a link to something as it's actually a very emotional issue for some people.

Last thing you want is "feeling stressed out about your sexuality and sexual orientation - have a pint"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,259 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The ad always makes me think of little Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Pint of gayness please, thanks

This is a bit of a tangent. But the singer Josh Ritter had a great song about science once. The song - he says - was firstly written for his mother (which makes the punch line of this post weird) when he told her he was dropping out of Neuro Science in College for Music.

The lyrics are here, it is a very funny song live:
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/joshritter/stucktoyou.html

Anyway the relevance of the post comes on one of his first trips to Ireland back when I was in college. And in the Roisin dubh in Galway we demanded he ad-lib a new verse after a conversation we had.

A verse he has since added to the song and re-adlibs every time.

As I recall it went something like this:

"There's one last thing, it does appear
    It is not love, that will bring you beer......

But a top secret formula discovered by monks and perfected by the Irish,
    To make the best head yet.

But since youre gone,
    Its the only head I get"

Here is one of the ad libs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ToqS5FoZc

• Advertisement
Advertisement