Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marrying US girlfriend

Options
  • 12-09-2015 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone.

First thanks a million for reading this. I wondered if I could get some help/tips.
    So I'm proposing to my wonderful girlfriend soon (Octoberish).
    She's a US Citizen. We've maintained a long distance relationship and now she'd like to move to Ireland and begin our lives together.

Couple of points of interests about us.
    She's a nurse (a great and highly qualified one, with a child care speciality). Compared to white I do for a living she literally saves lives (I'm in IT :P)
    She has a Boston Terrier that is a non-negotiable the little guy has to move over, he's family.
    I'm an Irish Citizen.

The plan we had was to register for the marriage via post (one can do that apparently) with the registrar. Set a date 3 months, as that's the minimum period from when we have all the paperwork sent in (we'd like to be married sooner than later).

Next, once we have the above confirmed we're hoping she can come over on a 90 day Visa to help me sort out the necessaries and sync up our dates so we're married just before the Visa expires.

Once she's married apply for a Stamp 4 (spouse of an Irish citizen) so she can work.

We're both Catholic so we'd like a Church wedding and pre-cana class.

That's the broad idea. Now what I'm hoping for is to hear from people who have done this or similar and if you have any tips, ideas, hurdles we've not thought of and generally advice and well wishes would be great!

She's the best and Ireland would really benefit from her presence here :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Beware of one major issue : the U.S. Inland Revenue Service (IRS) now expects the foreign spouses of US citizens to submit American tax returns, even if they're not resident and have never been or have any intention of being resident in the U.S.

It's worth checking out before you tie the knot, particularly if you've any businesses or anything like that.

Even if you've no income, you still have to submit. U.S. return.

It's an absolutely crazy setup but, it's worth being aware of it before you get married to any U.S. Citizen.

Mandatory reporting requirements have also resulted in a lot of European banks declining business from Americans and dual nationals.

The IRS really created havoc for ex pat Americans and their spouses.

I know that all sounds totally unromantic, but just have a word with a tax advisor before you make any dramatic moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

StonyIron wrote: »
    Beware of one major issue : the U.S. Inland Revenue Service (IRS) now expects the foreign spouses of US citizens to submit American tax returns, even if they're not resident and have never been or have any intention of being resident in the U.S.

It's worth checking out before you tie the knot, particularly if you've any businesses or anything like that.

Even if you've no income, you still have to submit. U.S. return.

It's an absolutely crazy setup but, it's worth being aware of it before you get married to any U.S. Citizen.

Mandatory reporting requirements have also resulted in a lot of European banks declining business from Americans and dual nationals.

The IRS really created havoc for ex pat Americans and their spouses.

I know that all sounds totally unromantic, but just have a word with a tax advisor before you make any dramatic moves.

Non US spouses are not obliged to submit US tax returns. They may choose to, but it is not obligatory.

However, there are strict reporting requirements regarding assets and foreign bank accounts, so you may not want to hold joint bank accounts or joint ownership of properties.

Do get US tax advice though, as actions that would not be taxable in Ireland - say transfer of property from you to your wife - may actually be taxable in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

casper2345 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

First thanks a million for reading this. I wondered if I could get some help/tips.
    So I'm proposing to my wonderful girlfriend soon (Octoberish).
    She's a US Citizen. We've maintained a long distance relationship and now she'd like to move to Ireland and begin our lives together.

Couple of points of interests about us.
    She's a nurse (a great and highly qualified one, with a child care speciality). Compared to white I do for a living she literally saves lives (I'm in IT :P)
    She has a Boston Terrier that is a non-negotiable the little guy has to move over, he's family.
    I'm an Irish Citizen.

The plan we had was to register for the marriage via post (one can do that apparently) with the registrar. Set a date 3 months, as that's the minimum period from when we have all the paperwork sent in (we'd like to be married sooner than later).

Next, once we have the above confirmed we're hoping she can come over on a 90 day Visa to help me sort out the necessaries and sync up our dates so we're married just before the Visa expires.

Once she's married apply for a Stamp 4 (spouse of an Irish citizen) so she can work.

That's the broad idea. Now what I'm hoping for is to hear from people who have done this or similar and if you have any tips, ideas, hurdles we've not thought of and generally advice and well wishes would be great!

She's the best and Ireland would really benefit from her presence here :)

Thank you!

Been there done that! Sounds like you have a solid plan and have figured things out. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have specific questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Non US spouses are not obliged to submit US tax returns. They may choose to, but it is not obligatory.

However, there are strict reporting requirements regarding assets and foreign bank accounts, so you may not want to hold joint bank accounts or joint ownership of properties.

Do get US tax advice though, as actions that would not be taxable in Ireland - say transfer of property from you to your wife - may actually be taxable in the US.

I just know people in France who have divorced over it! They didn't actually break up, but they dissolved their marriage over tax implications regarding something to do with a business.

That's why I would caution tax advice. It's not something that comes up with marrying other nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also check out the nursing registration requirements: I believe it takes both time and money to get foreign quals recognised here, and that the nursing council aren't the most responsive of registration boards. Info here: http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/trained_outside_ireland.aspx#faq3

Be aware, too, that getting work here will require her to get Garda clearance. At one stage, this was close to impossible for anyone who hadn't lived here for five years. I believe it's not so bad now, but it's still not trivial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 casper2345

Also check out the nursing registration requirements: I believe it takes both time and money to get foreign quals recognised here, and that the nursing council aren't the most responsive of registration boards.

Be aware, too, that getting work here will require her to get Garda clearance. At one stage, this was close to impossible for anyone who hadn't lived here for five years. I believe it's not so bad now, but it's still not trivial.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Does the Stamp 4 not qualify her to work in Ireland?
    From wikipedia: "Stamp 4 refers to the stamp number, or immigration status, given to an individual with permission to reside in Ireland. It indicates that the person is entitled to work without a work permit.[1] It is issued to people on work visas/work authorisations, to the spouse of an Irish citizen, to the spouse of an EU citizen (Stamp 4 EUFam), to refugees, to people with Irish Born Child residency and those with long-term residency status. Once a person has been granted Stamp 4 status by the Irish Department of Justice and Equality, he or she is to report to their local Garda National Immigration Bureau in order to receive the physical card, or "Certificate of Registration". The card shows the holder's Stamp 4 status, as well as their photograph and other personal details. The Stamp 4 card is proof of the person's Stamp 4 status and should be shown to employers when evidence of the person's Stamp 4 status is needed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Does the Stamp 4 not qualify her to work in Ireland?
    From wikipedia: "Stamp 4 refers to the stamp number, or immigration status, given to an individual with permission to reside in Ireland. It indicates that the person is entitled to work without a work permit.[1] It is issued to people on work visas/work authorisations, to the spouse of an Irish citizen, to the spouse of an EU citizen (Stamp 4 EUFam), to refugees, to people with Irish Born Child residency and those with long-term residency status. Once a person has been granted Stamp 4 status by the Irish Department of Justice and Equality, he or she is to report to their local Garda National Immigration Bureau in order to receive the physical card, or "Certificate of Registration". The card shows the holder's Stamp 4 status, as well as their photograph and other personal details. The Stamp 4 card is proof of the person's Stamp 4 status and should be shown to employers when evidence of the person's Stamp 4 status is needed."

Yes but you also have to be registered with a professional body to practice so she would be advised to start the process of getting her qualifications recognised by an bord altranais ASAP as it can take ages. I have a Brazilian friend who is a surgeon and she had to work in a hotel cleaning rooms for seven months waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Possibly not directly related to your question OP, but - you have met her in person, haven't you? Or has this been entirely long distance?

The answer to this is not my, nor anyone here's business, but if you have not, can I suggest you go over for a few days holiday?

looksee wrote: »
    Possibly not directly related to your question OP, but - you have met her in person, haven't you? Or has this been entirely long distance?

The answer to this is not my, nor anyone here's business, but if you have not, can I suggest you go over for a few days holiday?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Just a small point. As you already know there is a legal requirement to give the registrar three months notice of your intention to marry. The Catholic church imposes its own three month notice requirement, so you should be contacting your parish priest and arranging to meet him at the same time as you are first contacting the registrar.

Plus, on working, what etymon said: Stamp 4 will qualify your partner to work; it will not qualify her to work as a nurse. She will need registration for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

She will need to register with An Bord Altranais before she can begin work. I'd advise she start this process straight away. I'm an Irish nurse and there notoriously difficult to deal with, there communication is terrible and extremely slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

wat24 wrote: »
    She will need to register with An Bord Altranais before she can begin work. I'd advise she start this process straight away. I'm an Irish nurse and there notoriously difficult to deal with, there communication is terrible and extremely slow.

They are a nightmare however there is a huge recruitment drive on at the moment for nurses. Hospitals are screaming out for them so ABA are under immense pressure to speed up the process.

Dovies wrote: »
    They are a nightmare however there is a huge recruitment drive on at the moment for nurses. Hospitals are screaming out for them so ABA are under immense pressure to speed up the process.

Oh believe me we know all too well. It is a nightmarish experience.

Advertisement