Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 RWC coverage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Anyone know the name of that song in the Keith Wood promo for the Ireland/France match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's what most people want.

My main gripe with that was when you'd have the game set to record only to arrive home with the crucial second half if a match missing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

The commentator on Tv3 " Say what you like about the French, but they have one of the great national anthems"

Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

**** all analysis - due too too many add's - seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I feel bad for the ones that can't get UTV, TV3's coverage is a joke and hopefully those who can get UTV or ITV switch and hurt TV3's coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

edgecutter wrote: »
    I feel bad for the ones that can't get UTV, TV3's coverage is a joke and hopefully those who can get UTV or ITV switch and hurt TV3's coverage.

Yea, but the UTV/ITV programme has now ended and TV 3 are still motoring. Having said that, I watched the game on ITV HD !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I gave tv3 the swerve and watched it on Itv hd,was it that bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

I'm watching the tv3 live player and there have been adverts on for the last ****ing 10 minutes non stop. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

How long is the game over now and still no mention of Sob punch? Ridiculous

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Can anyone else hear the voices in the background on TV3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Can anyone else hear the voices in the background on TV3?
    Yes..not hearing voices in my head so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Great win but at a cost. Just wondering if the TV3 commentators are actually at the game? Seemed very slow to mention the injuries to Sexton, O'Connell and O'Mahony. Seemed to me they were rabbiting on about something else until the downed players came into TV shot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

Vicious punch. Link to the video: https://vine.co/v/e00TQj0OpTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

LaGlisse wrote: »
    How long is the game over now and still no mention of Sob punch? Ridiculous

On TV3? It was the first thing they spoke about. They showed the video before any of the trys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Rate the analysis (studio & commentary) on TV3 higher than RTE. Jennings gives great insights and Williams has a real enthusiasm for the game. Wood is decent but the BBC might have made him a bit bland. :P

Toland and Barnes are great on commentary, pity about the lengthier ad breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sangsung wrote: »
    Vicious punch. [/url]

not condoning what O'brien , did , but repeated playing in slow-mo , makes it look a lot worse , anyone who played the game know these things happen . shouldn't have done it , but its a physical game, France talking all week about taking Sexton out , and they do just that , there always 2 sides

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭scouser82

TV3 cutting to an ad break before the Japanese had even kicked the ball out to end the half. FFS!!!!!!

I hate the ads. The actual ads themselves, I hate them. I hate Virgin, I hate that painkiller Superhero dad ads, I hate the air ad with the tribal Irish music, I hate the Heineken ad with the gob****e with the coin. I hate all of them. But I can name all of them, and I guess that is what counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I hate the ads. The actual ads themselves, I hate them. I hate Virgin, I hate that painkiller Superhero dad ads, I hate the air ad with the tribal Irish music, I hate the Heineken ad with the gob****e with the coin. I hate all of them. But I can name all of them, and I guess that is what counts.

My personal protest is to never go near any of the products advertised during this farcical and pathetic coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

First Up wrote: »
    My personal protest is to never go near any of the products advertised during this farcical and pathetic coverage.

they did a feature with williams and wood about an hour before the ireland game. when they get into the technical stuff its quite good, its just so many ad breaks though. if they got a decent host in it would be a good watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Did they actually miss the beginning of the second half of the Japan game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Couldn't believe the poor picture quality on 3e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Couldn't believe the poor picture quality on 3e.

Is this really standard definition? It seems far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

the worst part of the coverage is the cutting away once full time whistle goes, you miss the immediate post match stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

aimee1 wrote: »
    the worst part of the coverage is the cutting away once full time whistle goes, you miss the immediate post match stuff

Who's your one doing in the after match interviews. She looks a bit of a duck out of water but in a good way. A fresh and different style. She's growing on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Any ideas when the game will be uploaded onto 3 player? I still haven't been able to watch it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

scouser82 wrote: »
    Timed the half time break:

First ad break: 26 secs
    First "analysis": 22 secs
    Second ad break: 5 mins 42 secs
    Main "analysis": 2 mins 18 secs
    Third ad break: 5 mins 41 secs
    Quick comment before back to commentator: 21 secs

This channel is beyond a joke. It's also amazing why anyone would pay to advertise on TV3 during half time as its a perfect excuse for people to go for a shower, run, do some gardening, or whatever.

It really is something else, people would be well advised to go use those 15 minutes of their weekend doing something productive rather than sacraficing it for 2 minutes and 18 seconds of half time analysis !

I turned on the coverage which began an hour before kick off. I immediately pressed pause and then began watching it on a 32 minute delay and used that 'credit' to fast forward all ads. After the game there was several five and a half minute ad breaks too and by the end I had to watch part of the last one. Next Ireland match I know I have to watch it on a 35 minute delay to avoid all the Range Rover, Heineken, Guinness, etc blasts of ads you've seen 100 times by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Any ideas when the game will be uploaded onto 3 player? I still haven't been able to watch it :mad:

Full replay not long started on 3e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Quality of broadcast on tv 3 is shocking. Pity rte or bbc didn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Quality of broadcast on tv 3 is shocking. Pity rte or bbc didn't get it.

utter ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tv3 re showing the game now, except they've managed to reach 60 minutes and now we are at the start of the game again. Amateur hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

What the hell? Was watching the full match replay on 3E live and it cuts to an add break around the 60th minute. Then when the ad is over it cuts back to the start of the match. Ah here I give up.

Not that I mind watching the full game again but come on...

What the hell? Was watching the full match replay on 3E live and it cuts to an add break around the 60th minute. Then when the ad is over it cuts back to the start of the match. Ah here I give up.

Not that I mind watching the full game again but come on...

God help anyone who was avoiding the result and stayed up to watch this.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    God help anyone who was avoiding the result and stayed up to watch this.

Well their first mistake was relying on TV3 to show the result :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

This is effin disgraceful. Thought I'd get to catch the game but I'm up for work in a few hours so now I'm screwed

Us there anywhere we can complain? Honestly that's a disgrace. We won in case anyone is wondering :pac:

And at half 1 it cuts to the ****ing Middle, seriously what the hell 3e? we missed the last 20 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

Well they cut it off anyway after re showing the first 25 minutes or so of the first half. I'll be watching games elsewhere from now on.

I hope someone from Tv3 is reading this - your coverage is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

Put the match on to record earlier, 3.30pm start, fine - Triple checked it and then left the house as had a family commitment,

- Sat down to watch it later and then it it cuts out just before kick-off - They had separated the build up from the match itself - Ingenious (Pr*cks)

Then I wait hours to see the match on 3e and they seem to have tried to save 8 or 9 euro by re-broadcasting it in ultra-low, seriously crap resolution - It looked like fcuking Minecraft in green jerseys.

Then at 60 minute they cut to adverts and then re-start the match at 0 minutes.

FFS what a pack of utter tools.....

This wasn't even picked up on or acknowledged - Either they tried to chance it and merely brush over or else nobody at TV3 noticed as nobody there could force themselves to watch as the video quality looked like an illegal broadcast from Cuba.... In the 1950s.

A$$holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

You know what I am sick of all the complaints about TV3 and their coverage. You know what, they went and got the world cup, every game and put together a panel and package that was the best they could. RTE, who get out licence fee didnt do this and have steadily let all Sport go over the last few years so they can continue to fund the likes of Joe Duffy, Ray Darcy, Mirian O'Callaghan on discraceful wages. RTE are now at the point that they wont show a World Cup in a sport we may excel in. Of course we will get wall to wall coverage of a soccer world cup that we likely wont be at when Russia rolls round...so thank you TV3..without you we would be left watching it on ITV...RTE please pull your socks up and get your act together, you let premiership highlights go because 1.2m was too much to spend...again well done TV3..I for one have enjoyed the coverage...every channel shows adds and if thats what they need to do to pay for this coverage then I'm fine with it...if people want to complain they should complain to RTE and ask serious questions as to what the TV licence is spent on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

sonic85 wrote: »
    I hope someone from Tv3 is reading this - your coverage is a disgrace

I would honestly say/believe they don't care.

They are merely using the RWC as a revenue generating tool with the advertising companies. I'd say probably 90-95% of viewers wouldn't be regular TV3 viewers, and that they are just there for the rugby, so TV3 don't give a toss about the quality of their coverage. They are merely putting on the cheapest show they can while maximising the amount of ad revenue they can bring in.

As far as they are concerned, they have delivered the content, the rugby itself. everything else that comes with it (commentary/studio analysis) is simply playing second fiddle to the potential ad revenue they can generate.

They don't care that their coverage is sh1t, they don't care that we all hate it, they don't care that a soccer commentator isn't a decent rugby commentator.

Think back to Ryanair in their most hated days, a lot of people disliked (hated) them, did they care? not 1 iota!!, they had the product that everyone wanted, if you didn't want it, so what, there are another 60 million who do want it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

CONSI wrote: »
    put together a panel and package that was the best they could.

for best, read cheapest
    CONSI wrote: »
    TV3..without you we would be left watching it on ITV...

No. without TV3, RTE's (smaller) bid would have been successful, and we'd be watching on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Put the match on to record earlier, 3.30pm start, fine - Triple checked it

You fell for that one! I agree it's not clear from their schedules when kick off actually is. You'd want to be checking the papers or teletext or the web.

Concur though with others that advertisers may not be too happy, as people figure the only bits worth watching are the actual games, the analysis whether pre, mid or post match is just too painful with all the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

For those of us on Saorview, the SD picture is really horrible. The Champions League picture for matches on TV3 is just as bad.

I've been watching all the Ireland games in the pub anyway so it's not a major deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I would honestly say/believe they don't care.

They are merely using the RWC as a revenue generating tool with the advertising companies. I'd say probably 90-95% of viewers wouldn't be regular TV3 viewers, and that they are just there for the rugby, so TV3 don't give a toss about the quality of their coverage. They are merely putting on the cheapest show they can while maximising the amount of ad revenue they can bring in.

There was a piece in the IT the day before the first game. One of the TV3 head honchos claimed in it that showing RWC was actually costing them money.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

for best, read cheapest

No. without TV3, RTE's (smaller) bid would have been successful, and we'd be watching on RTE

Some short memories about who the primary rights holder for the last two World Cups was. It wasn't RTE! Setanta were the rights holder and if it weren't for the Crown Jewels list there'd have been no games on terrestrial at all. As it was TV3 in 2007 and RTE in 2011 could only show the opener, Ireland's games, and one game in each knockout round. Now I'm not defending TV3's quite frankly terrible coverage, but it's more than terrestrial viewers got in the last two World Cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I really haven't had that much of a problem with TV3, other than the frankly ludicrous amounts of ad breaks. I've enjoyed Woody and Stringer's analysis, and even Mett Wulliums. Cooper's just a place-holder really. Easy to ignore. And I've gotten to see way more games than I thought I would before the competition started. It's been far from perfect. But not as bad as I thought it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I really enjoyed it yesterday. Yeah, half-time was a bit sh*t with the ads but the panel were good, I think Cooper and McNamara have improved as the tournament has gone on and I watched it in crystal-clear HD.

Getting Stuart Barnes on board was a great call too.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭kazamo

Don't rule out TG4 outbidding RTE also.......it has happened before :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Am I alone in only caring about the match coverage itself? Analysis is much of a muchness these days, as internet sites can do it in far better and more interesting detail. I'll take the RWC being on a freely available channel with poor peripheral coverage over the situation we've had in the past. And either of those situations over any more George Hook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement