Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 RWC coverage

1151617181921»

Comments

Jaysus sexism in sport is really rearing its ugly head with Fiona Steed as pundit. The amount of lads having zero problem tearing her to shreds is disgusting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

DellyBelly wrote: »
    In fairness she plays women's rugby not what you'd call a mainstream sport. Could you name the Irish table tennis team?

If I was tuning in to watch a live broadcast of the Irish table tennis team I probably could. Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jaysus sexism in sport is really rearing its ugly head with Fiona Steed as pundit. The amount of lads having zero problem tearing her to shreds is disgusting.

Shes gone now thank God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

No issue with her being a woman just don't think she is any good at punditry. People are entitled to their opinion. I have to say Shane Byrne is ****e as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

ken76 wrote: »
    He really is dire and in the middle of a Springbok attack he is talking about Champions league football

Agreed, I really thought the match commentary this afternoon was completely anodyne - just the same few stock phrases applied again and again and again. Had to turn off the sound eventually.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Blow ins. She's been on before. TG4's Rugby is anchored by a woman. RTÉ are the only ones still stuck in the dark age.

(Gabby Logan does a better job than Inverdale on BBC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't know who she is but if us viewers are finding it difficult ti identify her it underlines how poor TV3s judgement is. I am assuming she is some kind of journalist.

Nonsense. It just highlights casual sexism. Would people say the same thing about a man they couldn't identify?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

BarryD wrote: »
    Agreed, I really thought the match commentary this afternoon was completely anodyne - just the same few stock phrases applied again and again and again. Had to turn off the sound eventually.

"What they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzz"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

They should get the lads that do the s4c English commentary, they are great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

all they were missing were the touchscreens!!!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

BarryD wrote: »

Mind you, both teams game plans are pretty monotonous too

Where's Barnes? Was he commentating for the Welsh game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Conor mcnamara can't even get players names right.jeremy kaino he called him.I would understand if he didn't know japanese or fijian players.but that's poor

Conor mcnamara can't even get players names right.jeremy kaino he called him.I would und we stand if he didn't know japanese or fijian.but that's poor

He's absolutely rubbish. How has he gotten all the big games in the tournament? Clearly hasn't a rashers about rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Carlo Ancelotti

Matt Coopers sarcastic tone infects every question he poses

10 mins remaining France being humiliated on scoreboard loosing by 40 odd points .they come out with this gem.Frances world cup us slipping away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The way the commentators were going on you'd swear France had just thrown it away in the last 10 mins. Laughable!

As for Fiona Steed, I really like her, and I am not just saying that because I am a woman or anything. When Byrne was trying to crack bad jokes and be funny, she was the one who directed the conversation back to the analysis. Plus I think the likes of Hook and McGuirk would die of shock if RTE had the balls (no pun intended) to stick a woman on the panel.

They often have men commentating on women's sport, so what is wrong with a woman commentating on men's sport. Maybe she could teach Conor McNamara a few more rugby phrases, broaden his repertoire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If I was tuning in to watch a live broadcast of the Irish table tennis team I probably could. Yeah.

I suspect a large amount of people watching the Rugby World Cup (like myself) are casual followers and therefore wouldn't have a clue about any of the irish womens rugby players.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭real man

Its great stuff for the liberals on twitter. The "wage gap" is closing, one step closer to true "equality". I suggest a Black woman as pundit tomorrow for QF3. Then a Muslim refugee for QF4. In the semi finals try someone in a wheelchair and then maybe a Traveller.

I think for the final a Black Muslim woman who is a lesbian, in a wheelchair might just do the trick. TV3s diversity will be through the roof. Although Travellers might be alienated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭real man

I suspect a large amount of people watching the Rugby World Cup (like myself) are casual followers and therefore wouldn't have a clue about any of the irish womens rugby players.

Imagine tuning into the Football World Cup QFs and seeing a woman soccer player on there. It wouldnt happen, its just embarrassing tokenism. Shes only there because of her gender. Is Womens rugby even professional?

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Next time they should have Lynne Cantwell. Knows her rugby and not bad to look at..

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Next time they should have Lynn Cantwell. Knows her rugby and not bad to look at..

They need pros or ex pros not token panelists

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

subfreq wrote: »
    "What they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient, what they need to do now is be patient.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzz"

"Tired bodies" must have been on the phrase of the day toilet paper this morning as was used about once a minute during the second half of the welsh game.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Being an ex pro doesn't make you a good pundit. Some former players are thinkers with a good understanding of the game. Like Jennings. Others might have had a good understanding of the game as it was before but is now outdated. Some good players just show no insight or understanding at all, whether that's what they're asked for, or they were just donkeys, or don't express themselves well, who knows. Shane Byrne for example is awful. Others haven't played at that high a level but have good knowledge, such as Murray Kinsella.

Fiona Steed didn't add a whole lot but didn't say anything daft either. Not bad for someone who I don't think has much experience. I don't think anyone would be commenting either way if some lad who'd played a few provincial games a few years ago had said exactly what she did.

"Real Man", was there ever a more ironically named poster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

real man wrote: »
    Its great stuff for the liberals on twitter. The "wage gap" is closing, one step closer to true "equality". I suggest a Black woman as pundit tomorrow for QF3. Then a Muslim refugee for QF4. In the semi finals try someone in a wheelchair and then maybe a Traveller.

I think for the final a Black Muslim woman who is a lesbian, in a wheelchair might just do the trick. TV3s diversity will be through the roof. Although Travellers might be alienated.

??? What the hell are you even on about?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    ??? What the hell are you even on about?

Drunk talk. And if it wasn't, he should certainly claim he was at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ha. TV3 playing Bring Me The Horizon for the Argentina "Road to the Quarter Final " montage

1-4 final of wc should be watching build up .but tv3 have just ruined it with ads.will turn on about 5 mins before the game.I normally love buildup but tv3 can get ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Stringer & Kissane in Cardiff;
    are we looking at the camera or are we looking at each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

ken76 wrote:

She's got a hell of a lot of Caps you've never got Knob !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

1-4 final of wc should be watching build up .but tv3 have just ruined it with ads.will turn on about 5 mins before the game.I normally love buildup but tv3 can get ****ed.

Record it. Watch from the start about 45 minutes after the beginning of the program. Skip over ads and anything that looks like panel fckwittery. You will catch up roughly around the anthems.
    Can't emphasise enough how much better this makes the viewing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thumbs_Down

There's a Hook, Pope and McGurk live stream on Deliveroo ireland facebook page. At half time too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Carlo Ancelotti

There's a Hook, Pope and McGurk live stream on Deliveroo ireland facebook page. At half time too.

Thats a proper panel

She's got a hell of a lot of Caps you've never got Knob !

Naturally dick head I don't play women's rugby

**banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Man i want a Range Rover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Shame they don't have a female panelist today they could talk about Madigans haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

Seriously ? Go back to your caves guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bans have been handed out. Don't be idiots... Think before you post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The amount of ads are obscene. Just obscene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Conor mcnamara ,"and the tyiide is turning" x 8
    Followed by some more ****e

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement