Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staright pull ARs

Options
  • 12-09-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

IMG_3258_zpste1vezdx.jpg

Whats the story with these straight pull ARs, are they being licensed in Ireland, I'ld say they'ld made deadly foxing rifles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A perfectly legal rifle to liscense .And should be less hassle than the real "Rock N Roll" semis. "Looks like" doesnt mean" it is",as there is no definition in Irish law as wht an "assault rifle" actually is and has been proven enough times in DC in the last few years. So if you have no definition of an object,how can you say another one "looks like " it?

In short it just has some weird parts on it and some getting used to egronomics,but it is just now a tarted up bolt action so it should be handled no differently than a standard rifle application.

Reason there arent many about is simply they are Sterling expensive and they are really only a UK and certain liberal gun banning states in the US phenomen.
    No one else in Europe and the US really wants or needs one and look on them as curios and if they needed a bA upper would simply buy the parts and barrel minus a gas tube port and build one in about 20 mins for around 300 usd.

If you want one Patriot Ordinance makes one that is apprently the best of the best at the moment and a company Sufflock guns imports them into the UK.STG and USD..Bring the cheque book!:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭freddieot

Checkout the Ruger Precision rifle. Might be something to consider instead. Its pure bolt action but has the AR look if that's what really is attracting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I prophecy that that the Ruger PR is going to be the best-ever seller for the company. Over in the USA, where some dealers are letting it out of the store for $1100, there are some places with a waiting list of over a hundred. The five local gunstores in our part of Oregon have a HUGE waiting list.

The Youtube movies show and extremely capable rifle that has been made after listening to many many shooters - the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be out-seling the other two calibres by five to one.

The UK price is around £1400 - you'll get it cheaper, of course.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

And Remy are bringing a similar one out (megabucks, though and B/A - not straight pull)

http://www.tacretailer.com/2015/03/12/remington-drops-a-tactical-bomb-on-the-civilian-market/

Mossberg have a bolt rifle that takes any AR magazine - MVP

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/

Not having a centrefire semi-auto in production, Remington have never produced any kind of a straight-pull rifle. It was a necessity only for the UK market after the 1988 ban on centrefire semi-autos.

AFAIK, Ireland does not have the CSR competitions that these style of guns are most often used for. So in Ireland any kind of a straight-pull would be an expensive curiosity, since many of you have the 'real thing', unlike [legal] shooters in UK.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Not having a centrefire semi-auto in production

tac

Er..The Remington Woodsmaster semi rifle and the Remington R15 and R 25 modern sporting rifles....Ok the last two being made for Remington on Bushmaster and DPMS platforms.However I do belive now all three companies belong to the Cerebus corporation?[Apt name for that corporation].So I suppose it could be argued either way if they are genuine Remington or not?

As for usage here.There are a few lads running them in Bullseye 360 and doing very well with them too.

Sigh!! Mossberg is losing out on a significant market by not building those rifles in Left handed versions.Ruger still gets it with the LH gunsite scout rifle,but it can only use dedicated AR mags. Now Ruger go away and make that PR in LH too .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sigh...you're right. I've just been here in yUK too long to remember them.

The last Remington Woodmaster I ever saw had been found in the car of a gentleman in Fermanagh.

And of course, with NO sporting rifled semi-auto centrefire arms of any kind coming into the UK since 1988, it's easy to see how knowledge of them can lapse.

By Bullseye 360 and so on, are you talking about straightpulls or semi- autos? And I did write 'since many of you have the 'real thing', unlike [legal] shooters in UK'.

tac

[quote="tac foley;97005676

By Bullseye 360 and so on, are you talking about straightpulls or semi- autos? And I did write 'since many of you have the 'real thing', unlike [legal] shooters in UK'.

tac[/quote]

Both types are here in the competitionsTac.
    More the NI lads run them due to liscensing laws up there.There are about 160 est SA CF here in the republic.Not alarmingly huge numbers and the least likely to be any problem either of all liscensed guns.Id say once they becomecheaper the "semi semi auto" will take off in the UK .Its just as quick as the real thing.Seeing that certain organisations used the woods master too does that put it in the "assault rifle 'category for AGS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    More the NI lads run them due to liscensing laws up there.There are about 160 est SA CF here in the republic.Not alarmingly huge numbers and the least likely to be any problem either of all liscensed guns.Id say once they becomecheaper the "semi semi auto" will take off in the UK .Its just as quick as the real thing.Seeing that certain organisations used the woods master too does that put it in the "assault rifle 'category for AGS ?

Of course not grizzly! Everyone knows that you cant have wood on an assault rifle and that assault rifles are black and black rifles are assault rifles... duh ;) ...jesus, has google not taught you people anything. Now... I'm off to clean my HK MP3...

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Ah yes, I tend to overlook that many shooters from the North come into the Republic to shoot, and being part of the UK they cannot have real semi-auto centrefire like you guys can. It would be really great if one of the UK magazine writers could visit a shoot and tell it like it is for the huge audience over here - it would certainly open a few eyes, of that there is no doubt.

As for 160 SA CF shooters in the RoI not being huge numbers, well, Sir, it sure beats the heck of of a big fat zero which is how many there are here in yUK.

As I noted earlier, the only Woodmasters I ever saw ANYWHERE in the UK were in the possession of members of the certain organisation that you hinted at.

tac

• Advertisement

It would be great if some UK writers did drop over and take an intrest in what we are doing in the ROI.Considering we have an international event that is attracting US,Irish and now South African shooters to a range in the middle of nowhere, Ireland where experts in long distance shooting have said it has some of the most trickiest wind to read and shoot in that they have ever experianced.:)
    Could give the Bisley lads a run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Heard there was a AR in the UK where the bolt when fired held back/open and you had to press a release button to move bolt forward loading the next round, hence as quick as u could press the release you could fire... Love to know more if any one has any info..

There are a couple like this in our club. They are made by The Southern Armoury by master-gunbuilder Bob Smith. His first attempt was a 9mm carbine - you can see it in action on Youtube - tac's guns - semi-manual -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yHuA69oAA

I really can't figure out why anybody in Ireland would want one of these things, apart from the fact that it's an interesting - if unnecessary - form of firearm. After all, you can have the real thing at half the price.

There is also a blow-back/hold-back version of the Czech VZ58, too, for around eu2000 or so - a considerable saving on the SGC item.

tac

PS - I should, perhaps, have noted that one of Bob's wonder-guns and a reasonable tactical sight and bipod is going to set you back around eu4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

tac foley wrote: »
    There are a couple like this in our club. They are made by The Southern Armoury by master-gunbuilder Bob Smith. His first attempt was a 9mm carbine - you can see it in action on Youtube - tac's guns - semi-manual -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yHuA69oAA

I really can't figure out why anybody in Ireland would want one of these things, apart from the fact that it's an interesting - if unnecessary - form of firearm. After all, you can have the real thing at half the price.

There is also a blow-back/hold-back version of the Czech VZ58, too, for around eu2000 or so - a considerable saving on the SGC item.

tac

PS - I should, perhaps, have noted that one of Bob's wonder-guns and a reasonable tactical sight and bipod is going to set you back around eu4000.
    Would you know if there is anything like Bobs 9mm in a AR 10/15 platform out there?

Thx Tac

TB - please read your PMs.

tac

Advertisement