Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do I even do???

Options
  • 12-09-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I've recently just entered 5th year straight outta 3rd year and I got pretty average results on my JC all honours at higher level. (7cs 4bs)
    But I want to pursue a career in medicine. But I have no idea where to start or what to do.
    I realise theres a lot to do during these next 2 years.
    But im so confused on how my study timetable should be like, what I need to study for hpat
    Like im an actual train wreck TBH and I would greatly appreciate advice to help me not to go insane and leave everything last minute like I did for the JC

Subject I do are:
    English (H)
    Maths (H)
    Irish (H)
    French (H)
    Biology (H)
    Chemistry (H)
    Accounting (H)
    LCVP

advice, tips, links to websites/threads for my subjects would be so incredibly helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Is LCVP an option, because if you are doing that many higher subjects it's utterly pointless. Especially if you are aiming for medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cygnetab

Consonata wrote: »
    Is LCVP an option, because if you are doing that many higher subjects it's utterly pointless. Especially if you are aiming for medicine.

Yeah lcvp is an option. I did it so I can get a bit of work experience in the hospital to see what I'm getting myself into

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Don't do anything for the hpat in fifth year, you'll have plenty of time next year. Spend this year working hard in class and studying as you go for a solid foundation next year, you ultimately basically need straight As (or a mix of A1s and high Bs) for medicine, so you have your work cut out for you. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

Do lots of exam questions. We didn't really use the papers much in 5th year at all but you'll find in 6th year that you use them almost everyday. It's no harm to get started answering exam style questions early.
    For HL Maths I think it's important to just go over everything so often to get it into your head, the course is so long and there's so many different areas that I often found I'd completely forget what one chapter is about whilst doing the next one. Therefore you need to go back over previous chapters constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

Also for Irish, try to learn all your sraithphictuirs in 5th year. For me, we did 10 in 5th year and 10 in 6th year but what ended up happening was that you knew the first ten inside out because you'd been studying them for over a year where as the last few were only covered in the weeks before the exam. You really need to know every single one inside out because it so often happens that you get the very one that you'd hate to get.
    For English, get writing essays as early as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

I would drop LCVP, that's a waste of time if you're doing all honours. I'd also drop your weakest subject to ordinary level too. I done that with Irish in the middle of sixth year and it paid off as you can focus on your best six, I wish I had done it sooner. I didn't even study for it come June - it's a gamble but if you're confidant in your other subjects its one that should have a positive outcome.

Maths is such a long course, you should just go over everything as it comes along and make sure you understand it. Don't be afraid to ask your teachers questions even if you think it'll make you look stupid; there'll be other people that don't get it either. I had to spend a whole lunch time one day with my maths teacher as I didn't get one annoying wee bit. And practice with exam papers from the get-go, I found a huge discrepancy between the questions in our notes and textbooks to those actually asked in the exam.

English is the only other that I could give you tips on and that is be as sappy as you can! Examiners want to see a personal response; even if you think it sounds stupid write it down, because it's your opinion, it's how it affects you, therefore it's entirely relevant. Also, read lots, it's best to have a varied vocabulary that you can show off in the exam!

Also in terms of essays, find your style as soon as you can and stick with it. It may be personal writing, stories or speeches, but you should use the first half of fifth year trying them all out, and the rest of your time before June perfecting them!

Don't do anything for the hpat in fifth year, you'll have plenty of time next year. Spend this year working hard in class and studying as you go for a solid foundation next year, you ultimately basically need straight As (or a mix of A1s and high Bs) for medicine, so you have your work cut out for you. Good luck

Is there anything i could do for hpat at least. And thank you!

Ellie1996 wrote: »
    Also for Irish, try to learn all your sraithphictuirs in 5th year. For me, we did 10 in 5th year and 10 in 6th year but what ended up happening was that you knew the first ten inside out because you'd been studying them for over a year where as the last few were only covered in the weeks before the exam. You really need to know every single one inside out because it so often happens that you get the very one that you'd hate to get.
    For English, get writing essays as early as possible.

Thank you for all the advice I really appreciate it. I was really nervous with the whole sraith pictiur. Thankfully I got a good teacher this year. Thanks a mil!

Advertisement