Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Lane Restaurant

Options
  • 12-09-2015 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anybody has tried this place yet? We wandered by this afternoon, didn't go in but perused the menu. The interior certainly looks nice- trendy modern look. I have to say I'd worry for them given their location- hopefully I'm wrong.
    It's funny, with all the eateries in Greystones, I'd still struggle to think of anywhere I could recommend for a decent lunch. Hopefully this will be it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

We popped in this morning just to satisfy our curiosity. We were given the brunch menu although it was about 10.30. Even so, most on it seemed similar to the breakfast menu so that was ok. The service was fine, friendly welcome on arrival though as it turned out it was a little slow. We both had coffee which was good I'm pleased to say. The food however (bacon sandwich & eggs benedict) was a bit underwhelming.

Just some first impressions: it's closed Mondays/Tuesdays and then seems only to be open mornings to afternoons- closing between brunch and lunch and closing at 3.30pm. I'm a little unsure of how viable this is as in my opinion it had more of restaurant/diner feel about it i.e. somewhere you'd be just as likely to go in the evening. Maybe they've plans to do so?
    The décor was nice- trendy industrial look so popular at the moment but it was really quite dark. I'm not sure how they'll get round the absence of natural light- again if this was somewhere more geared to evenings perhaps it wouldn't be such an issue. Their signature dish seems to be rotisserie chicken. As they were just firing up as we got there we couldn't try it but it certainly smelt good! Personally I love chicken, but I wonder if the menu is a little limited.

I'd like to have been able to have given rave reviews. That said I appreciate this is a new business and there's bound to be some teething issues. I'll definitely go back and try the chicken. They offer a take-away/collection service which I think is potentially a good idea.They also had some delicious looking cakes at the counter and according to the menu they seem to use plenty of local suppliers which always goes down well.

I really hope this place does well. It could really invigorate Theatre Lane which until recently has looked a bit dilapidated. Fair play to the county council/town council (not sure who's responsible!) they fixed some of the broken paving stones and planted some flowers certainly improving the lane. As mentioned in my original post, I think there's still a need for a decent breakfast/lunch venue in the village- here's hoping this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Didnt even know it was there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

Where is theatre lane please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

Where is theatre lane please.

Beside Vanity fur - right beside the steps that lead you to toymaster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what is the story with the Theatre itself - is it just lying idle? Would be nice if the finished the side of the building as well (facing Supervalu).

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    what is the story with the Theatre itself - is it just lying idle? Would be nice if the finished the side of the building as well (facing Supervalu).

I think its used now and again.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Tried this place a few weeks ago - ordered the rotisserie chicken for two take away with salads etc - personally I found it great value . €25. Excellent quality.

Telephoned the order in , collected it and it was delicious - chicken was very moist, lovely roast potatoes.. Salads were yum too

Staff were very friendly too!

All in all I say a winner for me! I'll def be getting the deal again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

cocker5 wrote: »
    Tried this place a few weeks ago - ordered the rotisserie chicken for two take away with salads etc - personally I found it great value . €25. Excellent quality.

Telephoned the order in , collected it and it was delicious - chicken was very moist, lovely roast potatoes.. Salads were yum too

Staff were very friendly too!

All in all I say a winner for me! I'll def be getting the deal again!

Given that currently a chicken costs in the region of €3 retail and salads etc less than that €25 sounds expensive for takeaway.

Cerco wrote: »
    Given that currently a chicken costs in the region of €3 retail and salads etc less than that €25 sounds expensive for takeaway.

3 Euro is not the regular cost of a chicken!!!
    But yes I do think 25 Euro is a bit expensive

Terry Pratchet

Cerco wrote: »

They are organic chicken .and to be honest I wouldn't feed a full chicken to my dog that cost € 3 let alone eat it myself.. The quality would only be amazing - not!

Any organic chicken I've ever bought cost around €9/€10 or more!

Again it comes with 3 salads.. I never mentioned it's was lettuce leaves.. Couldn't be more different.. If u but a small tub of pre made cous cous etc in tescos that costs around €3.50.. You get three different type of salads..

Then there's the potatoes etc..

So the actual cost for a decent chicken, nice salads and potatoes is in the region € 21.. With no cooking costs, no electricity costs etc..

So your incorrect infact.

If you want to be a negative nancy so be it, I think it's great and will be back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I haven't tried it yet but €25 for a nice/good quality lunch for two doesn't sound too unreasonable to me. Break down the cost of ingredients for any meal (especially pizza!) and you could argue it was overpriced! Hope this place does well. Les Pierres Grises (creperie) definitely my fave at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stilltryingit

Had lunch in Theatre Lane last week (I had lamb burger) and have to say that it was superb. I think the menu is short (still 7 or 8 options though) as all the food is very fresh. The salads were amazing and I have heard great things re the rotisserie chicken too, hope they do well. Sometimes we forget that when a business like that opens up someone has taken a risk, maybe borrowed money etc and is really trying to make a go of things.

Advertisement