Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paperless Ticketing and the U2 gig - how that work if buying tickets as a present

Options
  • 12-09-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I want to try buy ticket for the U2 Innocence+Experience Tour Concert in the 3 arena in November for my nephew as his upcoming 21st birthday present

Looking on Ticketmaster site I see that this gig is paperless ticket event. Ticketmaster saying the following
    Paperless Ticket

A Paperless Ticket event is when the Credit Card that was used at the time of booking to purchase tickets is used as the customer's ticket/entry into the event.

You will not receive physical paper tickets for Paperless Ticket events. Instead of going to the venue's Box Office, you simply go direct to the door, present a valid photo ID (such as a driver's license or passport) and swipe the credit card that was used to purchase entry to the event. Your entire party must enter the venue at the same time with the valid credit card and the tickets are non-transferable.

Virtual credit card users: please do not use virtual credit card account numbers for Paperless Ticket purchases as you must present the physical credit card at the time of entry.

Does that mean only way he could get in is

• if he brings credit card I used to pay for the tickets with him to the gig on the night. Even with the credit card would he get in as booking on tickets would probably record my name and hence his id wouldn't guarantee him getting in
      or
    • Would I have to go and pick up the tickets for him on the night
      or
    • how does this work
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

From FAQs
    •    Paperless tickets are not transferrable. You cannot buy a Paperless ticket as a gift for someone else. You can only buy a paperless ticket if you (the card holder) will be attending the event in person. If you buy 2 paperless tickets, your companion must enter at the same time as you.
    •    There are NO EXCEPTIONS to these rules.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought only the standing tickets were paperless, not all the tickets. Maybe try for seated tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Passport1

Thanks for replies and information

From what I can make out the whole event is paperless ticketing regardless of seating or standing :-(... but feel free to correct me if I wrong...

Pity if I cant get the ticket for him. He a huge fan and would have made his 21st for him...:-(. Not to worry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Give him your card on the night, be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Passport1

But what about the id have to show at door on nite of gig. Would he get he with his id and different name on credit card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Give him your card on the night, be fine.

Unless the nephew bears a remarkable resemblance, they'll fail the ID check...

Calling it now - there won't be an ID check on the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

This is a fantastic way to finally get rid of touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Calling it now - there won't be an ID check on the night.
    maybe the first few going in will be but as the crowds starting building they will forget about the id thing. I was at slipknot last jan and the crowd going in at a certain point was so big that they didnt even check bags etc.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    maybe the first few going in will be but as the crowds starting building they will forget about the id thing. I was at slipknot last jan and the crowd going in at a certain point was so big that they didnt even check bags etc.

Of course, it'd be chronic queue-wise. And in any case, are they really going to leave 2 seats inside empty while 2 genuine fans with genuine tickets wait outside in the cold, because they were received as a gift?

No, realistically they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Passport1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies and information

From what I can make out the whole event is paperless ticketing regardless of seating or standing :-(... but feel free to correct me if I wrong...

It is incredibly confusing. The standing is "paperless" meaning there isn't a physical ticket and you just swipe the credit card which is fair enough and easy to grasp.

There's then a single line in the wall of text FAQ which says that ALL tickets will require a government issued ID that matches the name of the buyer which seems to imply that the seated tickets also can't be bought on behalf of someone else. Yet the very next line says "paperless tickets can't be transferred or bought as presents" mentioning nothing of the obvious restriction that the previous line has placed on all the tickets.

You do have to wonder why they didn't just make the whole thing paperless if they wanted to safe guard the entire event from reselling but everything I can find says only standing will be. It really seems to be a case that the requirement for ID on the seated tickets was added as an afterthought however when I directly questioned ticketmaster on it they said no tickets (standing or seated) could be purchased as presents (or otherwise transferred).

To further add confusion Ticketmaster's tout site seatwave (aka getmein) has seated tickets listed for resale.

I'd say it is very likely the requirement for ID for the seated tickets will be quietly dropped especially as it hasn't been widely announced, the FAQ is contradictory and the id requirement for seated is currently missing from the actual ticket purchase page which only talks about the restrictions on GA (aka standing) tickets. Until it is made clear though I wouldn't go purchasing tickets unless you intend to be there on the night yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

This is a fantastic way to finally get rid of touts.

It would be if it also allowed a refund option for people who may find they can't go due to unforseen circumstances. Glastonbury which uses ID locked tickets allows this up to six weeks before the festival. At least it is something but it is far from perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Last paperless ticket gig I was at (Robbie Williams at the Point) you had to scan your ticket as usual, and then the credit card was swiped. No check of ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Last paperless ticket gig I was at (Robbie Williams at the Point) you had to scan your ticket as usual, and then the credit card was swiped. No check of ID.

How was it paperless if you had a ticket to scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

akamossy wrote: »
    How was it paperless if you had a ticket to scan?
    Good point. For some reason I thought we had a printout. Anyway, I remember having to swipe the credit card but there was no ID check. No idea if they'll use the same process or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Of course, it'd be chronic queue-wise. And in any case, are they really going to leave 2 seats inside empty while 2 genuine fans with genuine tickets wait outside in the cold, because they were received as a gift?

No, realistically they are not.

I went to the Tom Waits concerns in the Phoenix Park in 2008, where they checked passports of ticketholders, and there were no queues or delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 SullDog

Hi guys, Just thought I'd let you know what I found out today after roughly 30 minutes on hold to Ticketmaster customer service. Sort of similar to the OP I bought tickets using my father's credit card (I had read the T&C's prior to booking but thought I'd try for the tickets first and worry about problems later) So anyways I rang Ticketmaster and the lad on the phone said that "ONCE YOU HAVE THE CREDIT CARD USED TO MAKE THE BOOKING PRESENT ON THE NIGHT OF THE GIG THEY'LL JUST SWIPE IT AT ENTRY AND THEN GIVE YOU A SLIP OF PAPER TO GAIN ENTRY. HOWEVER IT WOULD BE IDEAL IF THE CARD HOLDER THEMSELVES WAS PRESENT EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT ATTENDING THE GIG ITSELF". Hopefully that puts some worried minds at ease! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

slight twist on this, I somehow managed to get Student tickets, I didn't realise thats what I was buying. Im not a student yet they are asking for Student ID as per the word doc in FAQ ?

Am I goosed or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

aidanki wrote: »
    slight twist on this, I somehow managed to get Student tickets, I didn't realise thats what I was buying. Im not a student yet they are asking for Student ID as per the word doc in FAQ ?

Am I goosed or what ?

If they cost you reg standing prices 70.45 before fees they were not students tickets but people were notified that they were by mistake no worries it happened a lot of people supposedly and they'll be honoured.

Advertisement