Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College grants

Options
  • 12-09-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey, so I'm in 6th year and just wondering what the conditions for the college grants are? I've heard of your parents/you have property/assets they won't give you the grant. Does anyone know anything about this - thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

http://susi.ie/eligibility/undergraduate-student/

No point asking us, we don't know your financial situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    http://susi.ie/eligibility/undergraduate-student/

No point asking us, we don't know your financial situation.

Hi, thanks for the link. Yeah I'm aware of them I have been on the website. I have just heard off other people if you have property outside of the house you live in, you are seen as someone who has assets and won't receive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

That's not true. You parents can earn a income from property and you can still earn a grant as long as you are under the threshold.

That's not true. You parents can earn a income from property and you can still earn a grant as long as you are under the threshold.

Okay, thanks I thought that myself. I still think with both my parents working that there salaries will still be much over whatever the limit is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

The grant is solely done on income. So whilst one may have assets outside the family home, it does not affect the income threshold, unless an asset is sold, then it is (selling price-cost of asset) divided by the number of years owned to get one year of income from the disposal of an asset. We found out all this, re:assets apart from the family home, by talking to one of the guys from SUSI at the TCD Open Day. They were really helpful.

Also it depends on how far away you live too; as we weren't expecting anything, but were pleasantly surprised! :)

• Advertisement

If the assets are contributing to income, then it will affect the income. In this case the house is being rented out, than that money will be taken into consideration when getting the grant.

Yeah, obviously sure that's income from rent then. He never said that the assets were generating any revenue.

mdudy wrote: »
    Yeah, obviously sure that's income from rent then. He never said that the assets were generating any revenue.

Yes but he mentioned property, which will be rented out.

Not necessarily, one can own property and not rent it out.

mdudy wrote: »
    Not necessarily, one can own property and not rent it out.

The other houses my parents have are all rented out! So yes there is income from them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jasonthelad

Hey im in LC too and im just wondering when can you start applying for a grant?
    and what sort of stuff would you put under the disadvantaged area to get you one?

Hey im in LC too and im just wondering when can you start applying for a grant?
    and what sort of stuff would you put under the disadvantaged area to get you one?

Hey, I'm not sure when it open I just checked the website and says its not yet anyway. I also was looking at some leaflet I have and it says applications should be in by the 1st of August 2016.

What do u mean stuff under the disadvantaged area ?
    I haven't seen an application form so I'm no familiar with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't just put 'stuff' in your application. Everything has to be backed up with forms from social welfare etc..

If you're entitled to a grant, you'll get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rr2299

sorry about this I don't know where to post as Im only new to boards, but does anyone know would a grant cover accommodation for college? I will be further than 40k away from home and my accommodation will come to 5k which my parents definitely can't afford, they have about a total income of 20k per year! I really want to go to college, I would be heartbroken if I couldn't but I'm worried sick about all these things! Can someone please give me exact figures for the full package of susi etc or help on what I could do! This would be well appreciated, Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Not sure if this is relevant but my sister got the grant this year and received about six thousand for a whole year. This was due to both distance and low income so it really does make a huge difference 😊

Thanks so much, Im so afraid that they won't pay in time etc,did that cover the 3k for registering etc and did she manage on that amount of money as well? It sounds like plenty but would you struggle on that amount .. Btw this means that accommodation has to be paid up front and I should in the long term get the money back? sorry for the hundreds of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

Yeah it covered all costs, due to her being on campus and on the hear scheme we were allowed pay for accommodation in instalments. It's hard but manageable. A part time job even in the summer or during first year for one day a week will make a world of a difference.

And Im assuming majority of the instalments money was paid from the grant money? Thank you so much you're such a great help.

Advertisement