Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin - A Landlords perspective

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Your posts offer interesting viewpoints from your perspective.

I think this (my) post might be taken up as sounding rude as I'm asking the almost the exact same question for a third time.

How do you think you would get on if you reduced the price of your rent a bit. Do you think the demand might go up or down?

As you are a landlord, as you have described, I think your answer would offer a very interesting viewpoint on the situation we find outselves in at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Slydice wrote: »
    Your posts offer interesting viewpoints from your perspective.

I think this (my) post might be taken up as sounding rude as I'm asking the almost the exact same question for a third time.

How do you think you would get on if you reduced the price of your rent a bit. Do you think the demand might go up or down?

As you are a landlord, as you have described, I think your answer would offer a very interesting viewpoint on the situation we find outselves in at the moment.

I think really don't know to be honest. I'm a firm believer in 'if it looks to good to be true is usually is'. I was one of the cheaper apartments in the area with some major pluses (very new high spec kitchen, freshly painted, car parking, noise cancelling windows) and some negatives (looked out onto quays - so noisy with windows open). I was willing to negotiate with the right tenant and did.

I think offering it at a lower price would have probably raised alarm bells, perhaps increased the number of RA tenants (which I wouldn't have rented too I'm afraid due to not agreeing with the system in the main) and perhaps created more enquiries but perhaps not.

As for the room again loads of enquiries so I don't think price was the issue. With a room I was willing to accept RA subject to getting on with the person and them not being unemployed and thus in the house all day. Employment could have been voluntary I didn't look for references/income certs of any kind.

Coming down from where we were on the room would have made it not worth doing. There is of course a price one places on privacy and having your own space.

So all in all I don't think price was a major factor - perhaps I wrong and it was and I went in too low on both counts and people thought something was up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Thread re-opened. Please keep it civil and stick to the topic. There is no need for any grandstanding. If you want to have one-to-one discussions, take it to PM, rather than a back and forth through the thread.

Any more issues and the thread will be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

mid wrote: »
    next time you could also try these facebook groups, they seem to be more popular that daft.ie with international students (both have 25,000+ members)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rentdublin/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/277024535766729/

You can also see 'wanted' ads posted, so you'd see if its someone you'd be interested in renting to before replying.

Thanks for this - I've had a room up for rent on Daft for a couple of weeks, but joined these FB groups after seeing this post, and I've gotten more interest in a couple of days there than I have in a couple of weeks using Daft! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thanks for this - I've had a room up for rent on Daft for a couple of weeks, but joined these FB groups after seeing this post, and I've gotten more interest in a couple of days there than I have in a couple of weeks using Daft! :)

thats a reflection of the youth of today... its all social networks...:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes but the youth of today don't own the properties. They have to know where to look ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

dudara wrote: »
    We were looking approximately a year ago. We can afford the upper end of the market and we spent about 1 week looking. Anything I was seriously interested in, I was there on time, well-presented and with details in hand. In the end, we found a place relatively easily, having viewed about 6 prior places. The whole experience definitely wasn't as bad as I had feared it could be.

Somewhat same as myself, although dont know if I'd call it high end of the market. Either or, we decided to leave our apartment at the time and we got a three bed house within three weeks. So a week to spare before we hit our leave date in the apartment.

But I'm a pretty calm collected person and have some faith in my abilities of being impresionable but also smelling bull****ters and dodgy individuals.

But it was pandemonium for a view viewings where auctions started in the front gardens before we even got into the place. depending on the location and the rent your looking for, I'd imagine dictates how much traffic you are going to get.

But make no mistake about it, the "crisis" is very real. The shortage in supply is allowing pricing get to silly levels, where the buyer has very little cards to play. I've no worries when it comes to buying as I don't get emotionally attached to stuff so I can kinda deal with walking away from something if it hits over budget. but I'm definitely just happy renting, with the regulations as they are at present and the very average properties for big prices.

OP or second poster havn't outlined the specs of their place, but a South city centre apartment for €1000 I'd probably guess is a one bed, or a small two bed.

And I guess what the third poster means, is that if prices were dropped down to actual value, you'd be flooded.

A lot of people are wise now to looking away from Dublin. I know if I was looking tomorrow I wouldn't bother with Dublin, I'd be looking at surrounding counties and just commute in.

The same type of property im in that I pay €1250 a month for (3 bed house) I've seen in surrounding counties that are a handy enough commute, for between €800-1000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

TheDoc wrote: »
    Somewhat same as myself, although dont know if I'd call it high end of the market. Either or, we decided to leave our apartment at the time and we got a three bed house within three weeks. So a week to spare before we hit our leave date in the apartment.

But I'm a pretty calm collected person and have some faith in my abilities of being impresionable but also smelling bull****ters and dodgy individuals.

But it was pandemonium for a view viewings where auctions started in the front gardens before we even got into the place. depending on the location and the rent your looking for, I'd imagine dictates how much traffic you are going to get.

But make no mistake about it, the "crisis" is very real. The shortage in supply is allowing pricing get to silly levels, where the buyer has very little cards to play. I've no worries when it comes to buying as I don't get emotionally attached to stuff so I can kinda deal with walking away from something if it hits over budget. but I'm definitely just happy renting, with the regulations as they are at present and the very average properties for big prices.

OP or second poster havn't outlined the specs of their place, but a South city centre apartment for €1000 I'd probably guess is a one bed, or a small two bed.

And I guess what the third poster means, is that if prices were dropped down to actual value, you'd be flooded.

A lot of people are wise now to looking away from Dublin. I know if I was looking tomorrow I wouldn't bother with Dublin, I'd be looking at surrounding counties and just commute in.

The same type of property im in that I pay €1250 a month for (3 bed house) I've seen in surrounding counties that are a handy enough commute, for between €800-1000

And how much in fuel per month would you pay never mind the extra time...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And how much in fuel per month would you pay never mind the extra time...

Probably less then I pay now to be honest.

M50 travelling northbound is a disaster every second day. I know from a friend in Kildare who I've stayed with a few times, the commute is quicker to work from that direction, then it is currently, me going from Swords - Park West. This week alone I've had in excess of 90min inbound commutes due to M50 crashes and incidents. Each morning I check the traffic and for the last while if there is an incident, I ring my boss and tell her I'm working from home, and I'll be in when the traffic clears. The mental fatigue of conjested traffic is something I never would have thought was a thing.

This morning there was something up in the tunnel which caused a massive backlog on the M1, I was just shy of two hours getting in this morning.This is for what should be a 25 minute trip if it wasn't for braindeads on the motorways.

Plenty of people are doing it, and the feedback is that it is a genuine cost saving, that the traffic from the surrounding counties is a lot less the hitting up the M50 northbound. One of my team finished up two weeks ago to head back to Waterford, where the rent is pennies compared to Dublin. She'll get a job in the same sector with good money and it will be a massive increase in terms of disposable income for her and her family.

Also worth remembering that a LOT of young people are staying home longe rwith their parents. The new purchase regulations for first time buyers pretty much rules out most first time buyers in Dublin from buying unless they have a bit of cash about them.

Alternative methods are being used. People building adhoc dwellings in parents backgardens are really popular now. They are basically like shed you live in, and are really suprisingly good. Know a bloke who works for one of these suppliers and tells me they have more work than they can handle.

But also people staying at home longer with parents. I know if I could turn back the clock and knew this was coming, I'd be living it at home and would have no problem saving up for a mortage. Parents have the room in the house, I'm one of two kids so its not crowded.

Of all my mates, of about 23 of us

I rent with GF
    Another couple rent an apartment
    Three of the lads rent a house
    Two couples and one of the lads rent a house

And thats it. The rest all at home. And I wouldn't mind, working good jobs, but its the viable way to hit that mortgage deposit and stuff. Of us out renting none of us have a hope in HELL of hitting the 10% deposit, never mind the actually higher rate youd need. And we arn't exactly young, we are all 25-28. We have one of us who owns a house with his fiance, and that is only because they got approval before the changes came into place.

Frequently forgotten is while the base deposit is 10%, that is for properties that are totally not fit for purpose, so your actually looking more in the higher bracket and the deposit severly ramps up.

I have no like for our government, and I detest so many things that go on, but for once I'm going to be selfish and welcome the auction politics coming in this budget. A review of the first time buyer regulations and probably money back in the pocket from a few cuts would be welcomed.

At the point where I actually start needing to be selfish. I know I can look after myself, I've a good head, and wont run myself into trouble. so don't care and have no sympathy for people that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AFFORDABLE accommodation in Dublin is scarce...
    Well, affordable EMPTY accommodation in Dublin is scarce. Most people that I know who find affordable accommodation in Dublin don't usually leave unless the place goes for sale.
    pillphil wrote: »
    If I rang them, the conversation would be "Hi, I'm pillphil, I'm ringing about flat x, is it still available?"
    As opposed to "al reet bud, room still going?". When speaking, like texting, you speak formally if you're looking for something; you project your best image forward.
    I think really don't know to be honest. I'm a firm believer in 'if it looks to good to be true is usually is'. I was one of the cheaper apartments in the area with some major pluses (very new high spec kitchen, freshly painted, car parking, noise cancelling windows) and some negatives (looked out onto quays - so noisy with windows open). I was willing to negotiate with the right tenant and did.
    Sounds nice. I'm guessing a lower price on that would have made people wonder if there were undesirables living next door, tbh.
    thats a reflection of the youth of today... its all social networks...:D
    I think most of the good facebook groups for renting are monitored, whereas daft ads can be left up for months after getting let, and can be scam ads.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    me going from Swords - Park West
    Off-topic, but if you don't mind a few minutes walk, would you consider renting in Celbridge or Adamstown and getting the train to Park West?

• Advertisement
Advertisement