Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone teach without Council membership

Options
  • 12-09-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello.
    A teacher returns to Ireland after 10 yrs abroad and registers for Teaching Council membership. The membership should be through by end of Sep. Teacher hears of a school which is crying out for a sub in her subject. Can the teacher be hired by this school immediately (even though she is not a member of the Teaching Council of Ireland yet)?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If someone had applied for membership then that can work. Also if there is no qusl teacher in that subject anywhere (not just local school needs a sub) then you can get it by. However its very very difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Have heard of at least two cases where teachers weren't paid .Be VERY careful .Nothing is 'backdate able ' either . No TC registration = No Govt pay is my understanding of it .Unless you have personal assurance that school will pay out of their own funds if needs be be prepared to work a fortnight for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

2011abc wrote: »
    Have heard of at least two cases where teachers weren't paid .Be VERY careful .Nothing is 'backdate able ' either . No TC registration = No Govt pay is my understanding of it .Unless you have personal assurance that school will pay out of their own funds if needs be be prepared to work a fortnight for free.

Crazy stuff!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya I think there was a thread on here about a year ago about someone who started but didn;t have the TC reg yet... never found out what happened either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

acequion wrote:
    Crazy stuff!!

Not really I mean there has to be a standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

acequion wrote: »
    Crazy stuff!! :mad:
    Totally, one of my colleagues let his reg lapse last year, he only realised when he didn't get paid. It took over a month to get the reg sorted during which time he was teaching away and not getting paid. He was never back paid, very hard situ as he was very worried about his mortgage, childcare etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

solerina wrote: »
    Totally, one of my colleagues let his reg lapse last year, he only realised when he didn't get paid. It took over a month to get the reg sorted during which time he was teaching away and not getting paid. He was never back paid, very hard situ as he was very worried about his mortgage, childcare etc
    That cannot be legal. Not getting paid while you're lapsed is one thing. Not getting backpaid is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

RealJohn wrote: »
    That cannot be legal. Not getting paid while you're lapsed is one thing. Not getting backpaid is another.
    Legal or otherwise, it happened !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The rule is that a lapse is now a stay at home thing so that u cant legally claim you're not being paid for work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

No TC registration = No Govt pay
    Unless it's through JobBridge. Cough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

http://www.napd.ie/cmsv1/index.php/about/napd-news-blog/382-teaching-council-registration

Important info about the registration if you have conditions attached.

Advertisement