Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to prune beech hedge ?

Options
  • 12-09-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Is it too late in the year to prune a beech hedge ?
    It's 2.5 years old and up to now I've cut the leaders and longer side shoots back in winter when dormant ..

Comments

Is it too late in the year to prune a beech hedge ?
    It's 2.5 years old and up to now I've cut the leaders and longer side shoots back in winter when dormant ..

No it's not too late. Did mine yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I was recommended to cut at the height of summer.
    I've a few short bits to trim from last year...

tampopo wrote: »
    I was recommended to cut at the height of summer.
    I've a few short bits to trim from last year...

Yeah August is the best time. But if you haven't pruned it then you can do it now lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Yeah August is the best time. But if you haven't pruned it then you can do it now lightly.

I thought it was best to prune in mid winter when plants are dormant. That's what I did last year and was planning to do this again this year. Is this the wrong approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

That's what I heard too. Shape your hedge in winter and just keep it trim with light cutting during summer. I was hoping to cut back one side of my hornbeam hedge this year so I'd be interested in other's thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I haven't pruned yet, my hedge is about 1.5 year old. It's quite thin and the bushes haven't met each other yet (2-3 feet apart), but it has had quite a bit of upwards growth. Some a lot more than others. Should I just trim the tops so that they are even height and just leave it at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

jester77 wrote: »
    I haven't pruned yet, my hedge is about 1.5 year old. It's quite thin and the bushes haven't met each other yet (2-3 feet apart), but it has had quite a bit of upwards growth. Some a lot more than others. Should I just trim the tops so that they are even height and just leave it at that?

If it's only 1 year old , cut back the leaders in winter , and longer side branches

Cutting in summer is really only to encourage more leaf growth ,,, you can do that from year 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If it's only 1 year old , cut back the leaders in winter , and longer side branches

Cutting in summer is really only to encourage more leaf growth ,,, you can do that from year 3

When in Winter is a good time for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

jester77 wrote: »
    When in Winter is a good time for this?

Doesn't really matter . Mine are are 3 years old and I usually cut them in Feb

Advertisement