Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to PSN

• 12-09-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Bought a PS4 last week and still after a week I haven't been able to connect to PSN even once. Keep getting 'please wait' and eventually timeout.

Is it me or are people having problems this week? Router is new UPC one and every other device is working perfectly. Read something about increasing MTU to 1470 but can't find it In the router settings.

Created a hotspot with my phone and it logged in straight away but I can't get in with the wireless at all really strange.

Any help appreciated or I'll be putting it back in the box and firing it back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

The MTU setting is on your PS4, do a manual network setup on your PS4 & try using MTU 1470 & NAT Type 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Did a manual setup and the MTU was set at 1500 and NAT Type 2 was selected.

Any other ideas?

try setting MTU to automatic

That did something. Finally let me in on wifi for the first time in a week
    Wonder will it last.

Thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

Do you know by any chance if you're connecting to the 5ghz band or the 2.4ghz band on your router?

We got a new UPC router this week and it's dual band so it has both of the connections available, however, afaik the PS4 only works with the 2.4ghz band.

I'll test this when I get back home to see if this can be the issue. On the bottom of your router you should have the sticker with both network names and their band so you can identify which one you're connecting to

If this is not the issue then I'm out! :p

• Advertisement

lulzordan wrote: »
    Do you know by any chance if you're connecting to the 5ghz band or the 2.4ghz band on your router?

We got a new UPC router this week and it's dual band so it has both of the connections available, however, afaik the PS4 only works with the 2.4ghz band.

I'll test this when I get back home to see if this can be the issue. On the bottom of your router you should have the sticker with both network names and their band so you can identify which one you're connecting to

Ha know what that could be the very thing. We only got this router two weeks ago and I know there were two network names and passwords on it. Thanks for that one never would have thought of it.

Will update tomorrow

lulzordan wrote: »

Unfortunately using the 2.4GHz already. Still having nothing but trouble today. It's connecting every second or third time but none of the apps like Netflix will allow me to connect and some won't download. Did I get a dodgy system or would you say it's the wifi or PSN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

any way you can set it up on another network like a mates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Try tether it to your phone, then you'll know if you can rule out the router or not.

I tethered it to phone last night but as soon as I go back to wifi it's not working properly. Just getting connection error messages all over the place.

• Advertisement

Im wondering if it's a combination of wifi and PSN. Seems to be a lot of trouble with it at the moment and no solutions

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PSN-Support/Cannot-Connect-to-PSN/td-p/23542516/page/41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im wondering if it's a combination of wifi and PSN. Seems to be a lot of trouble with it at the moment and no solutions

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PSN-Support/Cannot-Connect-to-PSN/td-p/23542516/page/41

Haven't had any real connection issues over the weekend to be honest, its most likely your connection....

You say you are on UPC, can you check the old router if you still have it and see are you having the issue?

Have you tried connecting it by LAN cable to your router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

The PS4's wifi is absolutely pathetic really.

I have mine upstairs and a wired connection isn't an option. Wifi rarely works or will work for a few minutes if I do a Library rebuild in Safe Mode.

There's no proper, long term fix that I can find

QikBax wrote: »
    The PS4's wifi is absolutely pathetic really.

I have mine upstairs and a wired connection isn't an option. Wifi rarely works or will work for a few minutes if I do a Library rebuild in Safe Mode.

There's no proper, long term fix that I can find

Try a powerline adapter

Quick update on this:

Get into the PSN sometimes but something still very wrong with i think. Im bringing it back if i dont get it sorted out in the next day or so. Its not working maybe the Wifi is faulty in it.

Connection speed (download) is 274.1 kbps
    Connection speed (upload) is 1.8 Mbps

And i have 250Mg Broadband and all other devices are working grand. Ones wired in are getting the full 250mg almost and the ones on wireless are getting 47Mg Download and 25Mg upload.

Any last suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Where is the PS4 in relation to the wireless router/access point? If there are walls or other impediments between them, can you move the PS4 closer and test again?

Can you wire in the PS4 to see what speeds you get from it?

Advertisement