If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Price for the Sony STRDN1050

Options
  • 13-09-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi Richer Sounds,

Many moons ago I purchased my Sony STR-DE-475 amplifier from Richer Sounds when you still had a shop in Cork.  It has been a great amp but unfortunately the centre channel has stopped working (I swapped the centre and right speaker and verified that the speaker itself is fine).

I googled this issue and found a few people who reported this problem but there is no indication of a solution.  

As it is quite an old amp there is no internet radio or airplay which would be really nice to have so I have been looking at the Sony STR DN1050.

I have a few quick questions for you:

1. Do you know of a solution for the centre channel issue on the STR DE 475?
    2. Can you safely use 8 ohm speakers with a 6 ohm amp?
    3. Do you still do the boards.ie discount - and is it possible to pay in sterling (as the sterling price is €43 cheaper than the euro one)?

Many thanks,
    Shane

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Hi Richer Sounds,

Many moons ago I purchased my Sony STR-DE-475 amplifier from Richer Sounds when you still had a shop in Cork.  It has been a great amp but unfortunately the centre channel has stopped working (I swapped the centre and right speaker and verified that the speaker itself is fine).

I googled this issue and found a few people who reported this problem but there is no indication of a solution.  

As it is quite an old amp there is no internet radio or airplay which would be really nice to have so I have been looking at the Sony STR DN1050.

3. Do you still do the boards.ie discount - and is it possible to pay in sterling (as the sterling price is €43 cheaper than the euro one)?

Many thanks,
    Shane
    Shane,

apologies for the delay getting back to you and sorry to hear that you are having issues with you Sony AVR.

To try to answer your queries:

1: Without having your 475 on the bench its impossible to say what the issue is - but being realistic as its over 10 years old any service or repair is likely to be uneconomical as you can purchase a new AVR that will outperform you existing unit for well under £200 

2: Ideally you would match the impedance but in the real world, yes that would not be a disaster!

3: We do offer Boardies a discount whenever possible ( there was never a blanket discount!) but a lot of products are now rock bottom prices and we don't have any further movement - but do ALWAYS ask and we will do our best.

The STRDN1050 is currently out of stock and I'm not sure if we will be getting any more back as its officially a finished line - I should know in the next few days - alternatives you could look at include the Yamaha RXV677 http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200624-rxv677.aspx?swapstore=1 or if you look at this years new models the Denon AVRX2200 is a bit of a stunner: http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201492-avrx2200w.aspx or the new Yamaha RXV479: http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201534-rxv479.aspx

Apologies again for the delay getting back to you and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hi Richer Sounds,

Many thanks,
    Shane
    Shane,

apologies for the delay getting back to you and sorry to hear that you are having issues with you Sony AVR.

1: Without having your 475 on the bench its impossible to say what the issue is - but being realistic as its over 10 years old any service or repair is likely to be uneconomical as you can purchase a new AVR that will outperform you existing unit for well under £200 

2: Ideally you would match the impedance but in the real world, yes that would not be a disaster!

3: We do offer Boardies a discount whenever possible ( there was never a blanket discount!) but a lot of products are now rock bottom prices and we don't have any further movement - but do ALWAYS ask and we will do our best.

The STRDN1050 is currently out of stock and I'm not sure if we will be getting any more back as its officially a finished line - I should know in the next few days - alternatives you could look at include the Yamaha RXV677 http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200624-rxv677.aspx?swapstore=1 or if you look at this years new models the Denon AVRX2200 is a bit of a stunner: http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201492-avrx2200w.aspx or the new Yamaha RXV479: http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201534-rxv479.aspx

Apologies again for the delay getting back to you and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  Will definitely grab the 1050 if it comes back in stock so please let me know if it does.  The £299 price tag was brilliant and just about the budget.  What are your thoughts about the STRDN 860?  I really like the minimal look of the Sonys.

Thanks,
    Shane

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Richer Sounds,

Many thanks,
    Shane
    Shane,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  Will definitely grab the 1050 if it comes back in stock so please let me know if it does.  The £299 price tag was brilliant and just about the budget.  What are your thoughts about the STRDN 860?  I really like the minimal look of the Sonys.

Thanks,
    Shane
    Hi Shane.

Just a little update that the 1050 is now finished with no more stock arriving :(

The 860 is a good receiver with a lot of the features of the 1050. 5 star reviewed in what hifi. Currently priced at £399.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdn860/sony-strdn860

Then onto the 1060 which is coming in at £499.95
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201384-sony-strdn1060.aspx

Is there anyway of transferring stock from another store?  Seems to be a fair few in England (Birmingham 8, Chester 7, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Comer1

Is there anyway of transferring stock from another store?  Seems to be a fair few in England (Birmingham 8, Chester 7, etc).
    The 860 only has one HDMI out so no good for me. I'd definitely be interested in a 1050 if you could get more in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

ShaneOC,

Unfortunately we don't generally swap stock once it has gone out to the stores - and if they are precious stock ( like the STRDN1050 is) then the individual stores will cling onto them like limpets - we just sold our last demo STRDN1050 yesterday and we deffo cant get any more..

The STRDN860 is a really excellent unit but it does only have a single HDMI output - if you are looking for twin HDMI outs there is very little at the price that the STRDN1050 was at but the STRDN1060 ( the new model) and the Denon AVRX2200 both do have that functionality - if you would like a Boardsie price on either ;);)  just post or mail me and I'll do you a deal given that we don't have any free STRDN1050's left - have a look at both here:

http://www.whathifi.com/denon/avr-x2200w/review

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201384-sony-strdn1060.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John, PM has been sent!

Hi ShaneOC.

Just a little checkup that you have been looked after. John is sometimes not in teh office over the weekend,so if Ican help in any way please let me know.

Hi ShaneOC.

Just a little checkup that you have been looked after. John is sometimes not in teh office over the weekend,so if Ican help in any way please let me know.
    Thanks Kenny, PM sent to you now.

Hi ShaneOC.

Thanks Kenny, PM sent to you now.
    Hey ShaneOC.

Dropped a PM back :)

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.