Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical first fix help

Options
  • 13-09-2015 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

If an Electrician could help me out with a query Id greatly appreciate it.

I am doing first fix electricials at the moment. The metal back boxes being installed for switches/sockets are 12.5mm too shallow meaning there will be a gap between the back boxes and the faces of switches/sockets.
    The boxes are 50mm and I am putting a 62.m insulated slab on the external walls. Is the gap acceptable under current regulations??

I have been told by someone that the gap will create a fire hazzsrd as if a wire sparks the insulation could catch fire.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Buddy15 wrote: »

I am doing first fix electricials at the moment. The metal back boxes being installed for switches/sockets are 12.5mm too shallow meaning there will be a gap between the back boxes and the faces of switches/sockets.
    The boxes are 50mm and I am putting a 62.m insulated slab on the external walls. Is the gap acceptable under current regulations??

I have been told by someone that the gap will create a fire hazzsrd as if a wire sparks the insulation could catch fire.

Thank you

Hi Buddy..I can't answer your question but you might have better luck in the Electrical forum. You could ask a mod to move this post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buddy15

Ok thank you I will try that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who is supervising the build?
    Why is your registered electrical contractor not making these decisions?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Moved from Construction & Planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buddy15

hi Kceire, i have asked my engineer but he is putting it back on the electrician. The electrician has said there is no problem with it and that it happens in lots of houses. The person who told me this gap was not permitted was saying this based on an engineer in another property making the electrician change boxes to make sure there was no gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Buddy15 wrote: »

Thank you

Put squares of plasterboard as spacers behind the 50mm switch boxes, and screw the boxes to the wall through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Bruthal wrote: »
    Put squares of plasterboard as spacers behind the 50mm switch boxes, and screw the boxes to the wall through them.

So simple and yet so effective. Clever solution.

Advertisement