Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age if child when after school care is no longer required

Options
  • 13-09-2015 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what age your kids stopped needing a childminder and went home from school alone and basically waited for the parents to come home from work.

I'm guessing 12 or should you continue with the childminder until they start secondary school?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on how long they are home alone for and the child .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

So many variables involved!

I'd say maybe from when they started secondary school, mostly because chances are they're getting home an hour or two later in the evening, so that means substantially less time at home before the parents get home. E.g. the child might finish home at 16:00 and be home by say 16:30, and the parents would (at a guess) be home by 18:00, so it's really not that much time for a young teenager to be home alone. Also there's usually a bit of a leap in independence involved in moving from primary school to secondary school, so it seems to make sense.

It really depends though on the maturity of the child, on their ability to follow rules, and on how comfortable they are being home alone. I mean it just wouldn't be fair to do it if they're very mature and responsible, but are actually terrified being in a big empty house all alone.

You'd have to be very clear on safety/security rules. Can you be sure they'll lock the door when they get home, and keep it locked? Make sure that they know not to open the door to anyone. I would suggest that you don't allow them to prepare any food that involves electricity, even if they're allowed use the cooker etc while you're in the house. Then things like for example, are they allowed use the house phone? (Very tempting if they're home alone and bored/lonely! You could get a nasty surprise with the next bill.)

I'd make a firm rule that they're not allowed have friends in the house until you get home. On a related note, I'm not actually sure what the legalities are around leaving your own child home alone, and it's something you'd need to be aware of (even if, at your discretion, you decide not to obey these.)

I think almost all secondary schools do some sort of after-school study. It would be an idea to look into this, it would cost a lot less than a childminder and provide you with some peace of mind! It would also give your child a chance to get their homework done straight after school, and arrive home with the whole evening free ahead of them.

Advertisement