Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date someone who was overweight ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I don't agree.

What's shallow about having standards and personal preference?

you're not taking the whole person into account, which is the definition of shallow.

the issue is whether being shallow is necessarily a bad thing (it's not). if someone's too fat or too short or they have bad teeth and that's a deal breaker for you then off you go.

Well you keep telling yourself you would turn down Sienna Miller, Rihanna, Selma Hayek, Eva Mendes, Heather Locklear, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez and others because smoking has or will "definitely impact" on their appearance!

****, i forgot science doesn't apply to celebrities. my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

What is overweight? Are we talking about a stone or two or about obesity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well you keep telling yourself you would turn down Sienna Miller, Rihanna, Selma Hayek, Eva Mendes, Heather Locklear, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez and others because smoking has or will "definitely impact" on their appearance!

Apart from Rihanna, I wouldn't find any of those other women you listed attractive anyway, and that still doesn't negate the impact that smoking has on a person's appearance.

Imagine if they didn't smoke then how much more attractive they'd be? That was your point, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Paulownia wrote: »
    What is overweight? Are we talking about a stone or two or about obesity?

Anything above Kate Upton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I would. I find women who have a bit of weight on them incredibly sexy I just don't know why.

Would you ?

Yes I would if I found him attractive.

A strong sexual attraction doesnt work like that for me. Genuine sexual attraction doesn't happen very often for me. When it does, it's usually not towards someone I would expect to be attracted to.

I remember being attracted to a fairly stocky guy at school. I don't know what it was about him. Also i have een really attracted to a tall conventionally good looking man, a really average looking short guy and a really skinny bearded man.

there's kind of a moment where something about the person just stands out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Apart from Rihanna, I wouldn't find any of those other women you listed attractive anyway, and that still doesn't negate the impact that smoking has on a person's appearance.

Imagine if they didn't smoke then how much more attractive they'd be? That was your point, right?

They'd be fatter.

Good luck finding an actress they doesn't smoke.

My point is that it's hilarious to deal with absolutes like smoking will definitely affect appearance and that's why someone would not go out with a smoker.

It may not. People that are considered beautiful smoke. It's as silly as someone saying they wouldn't date all those beautiful sun kissed Californian models because that sunshine will affect their looks. Yeah right!

My point is that it's hilarious to deal with absolutes like smoking will definitely affect appearance and that's why someone would not go out with a smoker.

It may not. People that are considered beautiful smoke. It's as silly as someone saying they wouldn't date all those beautiful sun kissed Californian models because that sunshine will affect their looks. Yeah right!

i said appearance was one of the factors involved in people ruling out smokers. I made this point to show how you can be shallow in ruling people out over a supposedly cosmetic issue while still having sound reasons behind it.

mother of ****, if emma watson lit one up and then offered me a roll in the hay i'd say yes, if that's what you want to hear. i'd make sure she brushed her teeth first though, and gargled a bit.

showered to wash the stink off her

still would though.

• Advertisement

strelok wrote: »
    ****, i forgot science doesn't apply to celebrities. my bad.

Is there a science that says smoking makes people ugly? Wow!

Great. Could you analyse Eva Mendes in terms of that science, maybe say how much better looking she'd be if she didn't smoke, point to specific issues with her etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Date overweight girl?

You clearly haven't met my mates :pac:

i said appearance was one of the factors involved in people ruling out smokers. I made this point to show how you can be shallow in ruling people out over a supposedly cosmetic issue while still having sound reasons behind it.

mother of ****, if emma watson lit one up and then offered me a roll in the hay i'd say yes, if that's what you want to hear. i'd make sure she brushed her teeth first though, and gargled a bit.

still would though.

The assessments for who you bed and for whom you stick around for are different.... That very important detail always gets left out of these boards chats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Only if they were actively trying to fix the situation.

Great. Could you analyse Eva Mendes in terms of that science, maybe say how much better looking she'd be if she didn't smoke, point to specific issues with her etc.

Hang on, are you saying smoking doesn't affect appearance?

And you're basing this on a handful of extremely well groomed hollywood celebs?

You don't know what she looks like, none of us do, we only get the edited versions.

• Advertisement

still would though.

Ah.

So then you actually disagree with the people who "blanket reject smokers" and you agree with me that it's silly to have absolutes?

And it's not really about the affect on their looks. It's actually the smell that puts you off?

Sure we're not far apart so.

Eh? Smoking does have an absolute and quantifiable impact upon a person's physical appearance, premature skin aging being one -

http://www.medicaldaily.com/how-does-smoking-cigarettes-make-your-skin-look-older-twin-study-shows-how-smoking-causes-premature

And as for the whole Californian sun-kissed models, yeah, there are many people wouldn't date sun-worshippers because they're aware of the impact of over-exposure to the sun. Brigitte Bardot being a classic example of an early age sun-worshipper, and the impact thereafter.

Hang on, are you saying smoking doesn't affect appearance?

And you're basing this on a handful of extremely well groomed hollywood celebs?

Not at all.

Merely laughing at the claims of those who are saying they wouldn't date beautiful women who smoked...because of appearance!

Of course smoking can affect appearance. So can the weather, food, stress etc. I wouldn't say I wouldn't date people in stressful jobs though, it would be one of those silly absolutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

It might limit choices of position for bedroom antics unless you'd enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

I would. I find women who have a bit of weight on them incredibly sexy I just don't know why.

Would you ?

Personally I don't find overweight people attractive. That said other things make people attractive(face, personality etc) so they may end up trumping the weight issue.

• Advertisement

Brigitte Bardot being a classic example of an early age sun-worshipper, and the impact thereafter.

Or Dot Cotton or Pat Butcher :)

Those are more long term effects.

Originally smoking was associated with being attractive and sexy before they knew the dangers because it was branded that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I would and have done, to varying degrees. I like a bit of a pot belly, A1 for cuddles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

arayess wrote: »
    ITs more naive too , many a friend was seeing a fit healthy girl who coupled with kids and more maturing age increased their frame significantly.
    Sure, but that happened far less often in the past generations, or happened at a later age. "Mummy tummy" is completely understandable, going up three or four dress sizes not so much and IMH outside of a medical condition, theres no excuse for a man to pack on the stones.

Something else is going on today. These days you do see more men and women with "middle aged" spread in their 20's and 30's. Even that old notion of looking to their parents to get some idea of what they'll be like can go awry. I know a fair number of men and women who are fatter than their parents. Though generally speaking if you're at a partner's family get together and the trend is to heaviness, or the trend is to skinniness, that's how they'll turn out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sure, but that happened far less often in the past generations, or happened at a later age. "Mummy tummy" is completely understandable, going up three or four dress sizes not so much and IMH outside of a medical condition, theres no excuse for a man to pack on the stones.

Something else is going on today. These days you do see more men and women with "middle aged" spread in their 20's and 30's. Even that old notion of looking to their parents to get some idea of what they'll be like can go awry. I know a fair number of men and women who are fatter than their parents. Though generally speaking if you're at a partner's family get together and the trend is to heaviness, or the trend is to skinniness, that's how they'll turn out.

This is so true. I've seen s lot of women in their 20s with way way more muffin tops and flab... I don't know why but it's the middle aged women who get noticed more for it...

But when you get past the confirmation bias....and look a little harder...it doesn't seem all that true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The whole 'you get fat as you get older' thing seems a bit of a cop out to me tbh.

Yes, once kids and middle age happen, your metabolism slows down and you may not have as much time to exercise, so you could go up one or two dress sizes. A stone or two of a gain during middle age seems normal. But to go from a size 10 at thirty years old to a size 18 at 40 years old is over-eating on top of the slower metabolism.

A good friend of mine married a beautiful woman. 20 years later and she has ballooned. And he sleeps around.

Which leads to great debate in our house as my wife takes the "that's awful, he's terrible" line and I'm more "but she is very different to the woman he married".

A good friend of mine married a beautiful woman. 20 years later and she has ballooned. And he sleeps around.

Which leads to great debate in our house as my wife takes the "that's awful, he's terrible" line and I'm more "but she is very different to the woman he married".

That's marriage though too...a whole other ball game.

I agree with both sides of that argument.

Yes, she's very different to who he married, at least looks wise.

However, he is choosing to sleep around. The right thing to do here would be to end the marriage. Not cheat on her. Plus, if he's still sleeping with her, he's putting her health at risk.

The whole 'you get fat as you get older' thing seems a bit of a cop out to me tbh.

Yes, once kids and middle age happen, your metabolism slows down and you may not have as much time to exercise, so you could go up one or two dress sizes. A stone or two of a gain during middle age seems normal. But to go from a size 10 at thirty years old to a size 18 at 40 years old is over-eating on top of the slower metabolism.

It's the car.... I'm not fat but I'm out of shape since I use the car more.

I agree with both sides of that argument.

Yes, she's very different to who he married, at least looks wise.

However, he is choosing to sleep around. The right thing to do here would be to end the marriage. Not cheat on her. Plus, if he's still sleeping with her, he's putting her health at risk.

Yeah there are all sorts of dynamics going on no outsider can understand.

Marriage changes things because people get comfy and the certainty and proximity kills the sexy. It's a terrible catch 22.

If you get really fat, you may be comfort eating, you may be depressed, you may not feel attractive and not feel that alluring, which then triggers a celibacy in the home....he then feels rejected and unsatisfactory...a barrier of loneliness is created and people look for solace elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tmh106

Reading this (rather depressing thread) I can't help but think that overweight women actually have an advantage in the dating business - being overweight seems like it is an effective first filter to weed out the assholes.

tmh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I think it's nice for couples to stay in shape for each other but its hardly a justification to cheat on your wife.

Out of interest, has anyone here ever approached their partner about their diet/weight gain? I have and it wasn't a good day, I'll tell you that. Better than going shagging other people though. (Morally speaking of course)

tmh106 wrote: »
    Reading this (rather depressing thread) I can't help but think that overweight women actually have an advantage in the dating business - being overweight seems like it is an effective first filter to weed out the assholes.

tmh

"i can't help but think that shorter men have an advantage in the dating business - it seems like an effect first filter to weed out the bitches"

being overweight seems like it is an effective first filter to weed out the assholes.

tmh

Same can be said for ugly. They'll filter out potential dates just as quick.

Bad hygiene, personality deficient people have a similar advantage in that their time wont be wasted on people either as the decision will be made for them.

But, that's having a REALLY positive outlook on life.

Is he not happy he gets to sleep with a "different" woman. You are not the same person you were 20 years ago. I wouldn't say his reasons for sleeping around are purely the fact that she put on weight.

I'm a different woman everyday. My husband loves it :)

tmh

"i can't help but think that shorter men have an advantage in the dating business - it seems like an effect first filter to weed out the bitches"

What 'optimism' looks like :pac:

RWCNT wrote: »
    I think it's nice for couples to stay in shape for each other but its hardly a justification to cheat on your wife.

Out of interest, has anyone here ever approached their partner about their diet/weight gain? I have and it wasn't a good day, I'll tell you that. Better than going shagging other people though. (Morally speaking of course)

I told my aunt I was going to start buying marks and Spencer's diet ready meals. She said "yes o think that would be a very good investment."

zeffabelli wrote: »
    I told my aunt I was going to start buying marks and Spencer's diet ready meals. She said "yes o think that would be a very good investment."

Ah jaysus, don't go living off processed ready meals! In all seriousness, if you want to lose weight, go check out the nutrition forum. Ready meals are just full of salt and leave you hungry. You can lose weight and still enjoy food!

As for the "you've gained weight" conversation - I had it with an ex. When I say he ballooned, he gained about eight stone during the two years we were together. I tried to tactfully approach it. It ended up with us agreeing to go to the gym together. He went once, and rewarded himself with takeaways for a week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Generally you'll find overweight men date or marry overweight women.

And have overweight children?

• Advertisement

zeffabelli wrote: »

:pac:

But, she's wrong. Most low fat/diet ready meals are terrible - even M&S I'd wager.

FAT and SUGAR are two of the easiest/cheapest food ingredients to give taste. Manufacturers remove one and add the other.

Some low fat products have other additives that make them unhealthy.

I doubt any prepackaged diet meals could be very good for you.

you can lose and maintain weight using prepackaged meals, it's just harder than if you cooked for yourself. it seems counter intuitive, and initially the prepackaged meals are probably the easier option but the more you learn about meal prep and nutrition the easier and more natural it will become until you're able to horse a giant delicious meal into yourself for the same amount of calories (but better macro/micros) as whatever tiny little plastic container for six euro you get in the supermarkets.

you can lose and maintain weight using prepackaged meals, it's just harder than if you cooked for yourself. it seems counter intuitive, and initially the prepackaged meals are probably the easier option but the more you learn about meal prep and nutrition the easier and more natural it will become until you're able to horse a giant delicious meal into yourself for the same amount of calories (but better macro/micros) as whatever tiny little plastic container for six euro you get in the supermarkets.

Yup! Quantity wise, I eat easily twice as much food as I used to. It just so happens to be mostly veg, eggs and meat instead of potatoes, chips, bread and pasta. Tastes better too tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Would you ?

I don't mind an extra stone or two. But not beyond that.

Yup! Quantity wise, I eat easily twice as much food as I used to. It just so happens to be mostly veg, eggs and meat instead of potatoes, chips, bread and pasta. Tastes better too tbh

hey now, nowt wrong with spuds :) actually are quite low cal and one of the most nutritious foods around. well, so long as you don't horse six of them into you with dinner after drowning them in butter. that's still quite nutritious but would probably cause any sort of fat loss effort to backfire hilariously.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Yes i'd date them, i just wouldn't lift them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Basically, I tend to find heavier men attractive, I don't go for the lean look, it does nothing for me personally.

Each to their own, and thank god we are all different, otherwise we would all be wearing the same clothes and find the same people attractive.

Is about being happier in yor skin, no matter what you weigh.

It's not about marraige, kids, sloth, etc.... Etc... Etc.... And as for making excuses for others that's nt the issue here.

It's personal preference,

If my other half puts on too much weight, I am comfortable telling him, it's usually several things and we step up our exercise. How someone can say nothing to a person they live with, I don't know.

...as for saying they have affairs because the other half is no longer attractive, is just an excuse for the problems they have, I realise throughout the years things happen and you have to bid your time to be honest with the person you are living with.

I personally find fat bald men attractive and sexy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

RWCNT wrote:

Kind of. I went from 10 to 11 stone in the year or so after I got married. I'm 5' 7" so it wasn't like I was in Mr. Blobby territory but it was driving me mad and I was constantly moaning about how fat I was. My husband finally got sick of me complaining about it and snapped "So stop whinging and just do something about it then" one day and I was like "He's right." And that was the end of my marital weight gain.

That was in 2008/2009. I did the ice bucket challenge in my wedding dress last year and the amount of people who were like "Oh my God, you still fit into your dress!" was a bit mad. The wedding day should not be the last time a woman can get the dress on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I'm a skinny guy, but I only really like "overweight"/chubby/fat girls. More cushion for pushin' and all that. Like Dors Feline.

http://i.imgur.com/60Henf9.jpg
    http://41.media.tumblr.com/606c0bfe375111071192a23f7dfa1085/tumblr_mjnsoglOAo1qdf1qno1_500.jpg

I wouldn't mind letting her sit on my face for an hour or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

RWCNT wrote: »

Why would you not!

Otherwise there's more than one elephant in the room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm so glad my current partner doesn't share the same opinion as others here!
    I don't mind that some men wouldn't. Personal preference. I don't fancy blonde men.
    It's when they start making derogatory comments that it's not okay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement