Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date someone who was overweight ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

pwurple wrote: »
    What is this?

Jumping back a bit, but I just saw that question (about taking after x- members of my family in "body-type sense", which was awkward phrasing!

Me and my brother take after our mother in physical appearance and also in things like being lactose-intolerant. Generally, if two of us shouldn't be eating/drinking X specific thing, it probably applies to the third too. Not exact, but given I have the same mild issues of bloating and lethargy while eating gluten that -stopping- eating gluten worked for them...probably worth a shot :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Absolutely not. Attraction is very important. We live and die by our standards. I am trash to women but I will never go for a girl I am not attracted to. What is the point? Girls with nice personalities are friends!(or would be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    We're sheep for thinking all this therapy stuff might work, maaaaaan.

In most instances, yes. This would certainly be the case.

But hey, some people seem to quite enjoy the protection of the (misguided) herd. Makes you feel a sense of belonging.

And you can get lots of pointless likes on internet forums as a reward for staying fat and unhealthy. :D
    Hi Think Progress. :)

Never said I thought it always worked, but no harm trying it.

Actually, as I explained earlier... there can be lots of harm inflicted by trying it if you're one of the unlucky people that get diagnosed with a BS mental disorder.

There's lots of mentally healthy people walking around believing that they have a mental illness. Do you think this is a good thing for them?
    in the face of overwhelming scientific studies

But you're still left with the question as to why these people are lazy and unmotivated?

Until you can get to the bottom of that question, people will remain too lazy and unmotivated to eat less/eat healthy and exercise/move more.

Their eating, or their nutrition, is disordered, which is the reason why they become or became overweight. Nobody is actually born overweight, they become that way, so you have to [/B]get to the root of why they became that way,[/B] when and how did their eating become disordered, and why! Until you can do that, the same mentality remains, they will still have an eating disorder even when they eat less and move more, and it's only a matter of time before the disordered thinking takes over again, which is why a person puts back on weight.

That's the reason why they fail. Not for any other reason.

TP you have consistently and deliberately twisted people's posts, engaged in a condescending manner, purposely misinterpreted people's posts to put forward the same crap again and again... in fact you've done everything you've accused other posters of doing, and I don't believe for a minute that you can't see what you're doing. You think you're being clever, but unfortunately you're being anything but. If you genuinely had any interest in helping people, you would at least read their posts properly and try and understand where they're coming from.

It's true that most people do not have an eating disorder, but those people that are overweight or obese, by it's very definition, their eating is disordered, because how they think about food and nutrition and exercise and their bodies is disordered. That's why they are overweight or obese.

The eat healthy/exercise mantra is good for people who are already healthy, to maintain their health. It's futile as a starting point for someone who is unhealthy / overweight / obese.

This is a perfect example of the kind of ignorance you're perpetuating in society with your nonsense. You haven't a clue what does or doesn't help the majority of people who are unhealthy / overweight / obese, and your continued refusal to acknowledge the scientific studies which trump your bullshìt talk, makes you no more worth listening to than Gillian McKeith.

Your anecdotal evidence means diddly squat compared to mountains of scientific evidence. For someone who's username is 'ThinkProgress', that has to be some achievement in willful ignorance to maintain that you know better than the whole scientific community who are still conducting research into eating and nutrition disorders. Your attitude and your lack of thought evident in your posts is actually the greatest mental barrier to progress.

It's true, you don't have to over-complicate things to be successful, but in order to come up with successful solutions, you first have to understand how things work, and unfortunately, you don't, and you clearly don't want to, because one would have thought by now when presented with enough scientific evidence that contradicts their opinion, you would have actually gone away and thought about it.

But no, here you are, back again with the same old clap trap about "eat less/move more".

That's why I couldn't be arsed addressing your earlier post, and fair play to other posters who did, because I knew already you were going to come back with the same crap, in spite of people taking the time to yet again present you with scientific evidence which completely contradicts everything you've believed up to this point.

That sort of evangelical devotion to your position is the antithesis of thinking that contributes to any kind of progress. It's lazy and it's ignorant, and it's the very kind of thinking you accuse others of doing.

What's your excuse?

I think it's funny that you're arrogant enough to believe that science is on your side in this discussion and not on mine.

There's plenty of scientific evidence that calorie reduction leads to weight loss. And plenty of evidence that exercise makes you fitter and aids in weight loss too...

Lots of people clean up their eating habits and exercise more... and continue to do so for the rest of their lives. Just by finding the motivation and will power to make the necessary changes. They didn't require therapy and many don't relapse back to their old habits.

So, I think you're wrong. Most are just weak willed and lacking in motivation.

Perpetuating the myth that this thing is hugely complex and multi-faceted, when in the majority of cases it's really NOT... is just preventing many people from changing their lives and making progress!

YOU are the menace to progress. And you seem to enjoy playing that role. (But then, considering the shameless lies you've been spinning about your life on here... that's hardly shocking to me)

Quite honestly, after many of us caught you out telling those ridiculous lies... it's been very hard to take anything you say seriously or even have a modicum of respect for you.

You've done it to yourself. You are completely lacking in any credibility now. I'm convinced you're just trolling for reactions, and I really should deny you any more fuel... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Don't worry Gorm, I'd still give you a chance!

Morrisey? sorry can't listen to him (singing songs about being miserable in monotone no thanks)...sure his cousin is a better singer then him an he is a footballer!

Robbie Keane! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

unreg999 wrote: »
    But you would ASK for the tips & help... Right there is the difference... Get It???

Yes, I get it. I would not make excuses and blame everything else, and everyone else except myself. Which this thread has turned into.

One side with an avalanche of excuses, and other in a state of bemusement underneath said avalanche.

There is no point in me repeating myself. I will just paraphrase Marie Antoinette "grand so, let them get the gateaux cakes into them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think this thread is perfect example why I prefer brains and personality to looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think this thread is perfect example why I prefer brains and personality to looks.

Why choose?

Much rather all 3 myself.

Money ? :rolleyes:

Why choose?

Much rather all 3 myself.

Nah I am fine with the important two. Besides they are not that common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

What I find hilarious is that there are people on this thread who have actually lost half their body weight being dismissed as not knowing what they're talking about! Sure what would formerly obese people who have lost heaps of weight and kept it off know?

Dolbert wrote: »
    What I find hilarious is that there are people on this thread who have actually lost half their body weight being dismissed as not knowing what they're talking about! Sure what would formerly obese people who have lost heaps of weight and kept it off know?

Surely the opposite is the case. The people who have NOT gained half their bodyweight in order to loose it must have been doing something right consistently.

Although I do agree that people who have lost half their body weight have the advantage of being able to show empathy, to their fellow soldiers. Like those former soldiers in Vietnam films who have "seen some-things man".

But that slimmer of the year thing always struck me as counter intuitive. Basically to have a good chance of winning it you have to be the most overweight at the start!

Money ? :rolleyes:

The fact you think only benefit of dating a smart person is money tells more about you than me.

Not to mention I haven't read many more mean spirited replays in this thread than the last one you posted.

The fact you think only benefit of dating a smart person is money tells more about you than me.

Not to mention I haven't read many more mean spirited replays in this thread than the last one you posted.

You did not see the little blue guy :rolleyes:. Look him up there in the smilies and see what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Surely the opposite is the case. The people who have NOT gained half their bodyweight in order to loose it must have been doing something right consistently.

Although I do agree that people who have lost half their body weight have the advantage of being able to show empathy, to their fellow soldiers. Like those former soldiers in Vietnam films who have "seen some-things man".

But that slimmer of the year thing always struck me as counter intuitive. Basically to have a good chance of winning it you have to be the most overweight at the start!

So people who have never experienced being overweight are better placed to give advice than those who've actually gone through it? "Don't get fat in the first place" is hardly much use to someone with a serious weight problem, is it? Also, if you think a thin person automatically has good eating habits then you're seriously deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

As somebody who lost four stone in a year you have absolutely no fecking idea what you're talking about and how easy you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sorry man, that is total nonsense. My ex used to eat a dinner big enough for a man twice his size, then have a half pack of chocolate chip cookies and he was thin as a rake. You could hardly claim he was doing the right thing regarding his diet though. And he didn't have a physically taxing job, or an active hobby, or go to the gym; but he did have a metabolism you could fry eggs on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freenow

Wow, this thread is illuminating!

I just wanted to chime in here - I'm currently almost 2.5 years into recovery from a life threatening restrictive eating disorder.

Unfortunately (I say this because of the negative assumptions that come with having a large body) I have gained a massive amount of weight (although a huge % of this is actually water retention which is essential to the healing process and appears in almost every recovery) and it has been both eye opening and utterly distressing to discover first hand how large people are treated.

I have no choice but to keep going until my body (and mind) and fully healed and the swelling goes away and I go back to whatever size I am naturally supposed to be but in the meantime I deal with people staring, looking at me with contempt, laughing in my face and just generally behaving as though the mere sight of me is totally disgusting and abhorent. I can see in some peoples' eyes that they are making instant judgements about my lifestyle and health and it is beyond painful to navigate a world where I am assumed to be "less than" someone with a smaller body.

I have suffered physical pain and discomfort that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy because of the damage I caused to my body when I was restricting food and exercising like a loony. In the first 6 months of recovery I had terrifying heart palpitations, orange hands and feet and kidney pain which are all signs of organ damage being healed. I have been pretty immobile because of the water retention but also because of excruciating hip and back pain caused by deterioration to the Sacro-Illiac joints. Every step would be so horrible that for 2 years when I had to walk I also had to concentrate on not vomiting from the pain.

The thing is, that no-one would have known any of this unless I told them, yet even my close friends who knew what was happening, still had trouble even looking me in the eye when they spoke to me. I recall each time someone took the trouble to laugh in my face. One day a women at the school where my kids attend looked me up and down, curled her lip in disgust and then looked back at me and laughed. I was having great difficulty walking that day and was kind of dragging my right leg along because it hurt too much to walk normally. The shame bubbled up when she laughed and I felt as small as a mouse. And I still had to drag myself into the school yard and collect my kids wondering who else was looking down at me.

The way I have been treated since starting recovery has been so painful that if I didn't have to take my 3 kids to and from school and go grocery shopping I would be a recluse by now. I can't even put into words how hard it has been to try and overcome the mental shame and noise from the eating disorder whilst knowing that I am being judged at every turn because of the size of my body.

You absolutely cannot ever know someone's health status unless you are privy to their medical history. You cannot know that a fat person is automatically unhealthy. If you are interested and care to google for a few minutes you can find lots of information on how BMI was skewed to deliberately bring more people into the "overweight" category, how people who are overweight or even obese have better outcomes after heart attacks/surgery than their thinner cohorts and how it is now thought that diabetes actually causes people to gain weight as a protective measure long before they know that something is wrong.

I'd love to see an end to all of the black and white thinking and fat people being treated like they are some kind of lesser species than thin folk. I have had my eyes opened to what it is like to be fat and I have every respect for people, who like me, are just trying to live in a world where it feels like everyone else wants us obliterated.

And in answer to the OP's question - I would definitely date an overweight person if I liked who they are - I normally like guys who are stocky looking with a bit of a tummy but I have a huge crush on a thin guy just now - he is a beautiful person and that's what I find sexy. And when you take the time to get to know someone's mind and soul, then they become more attractive and their outward appearance (although we need to still find them attractive) stops being the most important part of what makes someone appealing. I'm glad I've had this experience because it has taught me to look beyond physical appearance which is exactly how I would like people to see me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

kylith wrote: »
    Sorry man, that is total nonsense. My ex used to eat a dinner big enough for a man twice his size, then have a half pack of chocolate chip cookies and he was thin as a rake. You could hardly claim he was doing the right thing regarding his diet though. And he didn't have a physically taxing job, or an active hobby, or go to the gym; but he did have a metabolism you could fry eggs on.

+1

My fiancé eats ginormous amounts. And it's not like he only eats one huge meal a day and nothing else. He eats a normal sized breakfast, then his lunches and dinners are always huge. And he snacks a lot and loves his sugar.

He has an office job and his exercise consists of football once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

You're purposely trolling aren't you? :rolleyes:

Almost everything in that comment, is just ridiculous

Do you not think being slimmer of the year deserves recognition?
    Do you think the person intentionally gets fat in order to lose a load of weight & get a round of applause?
    Do you think it's easy to lose weight?
    Ever do something you know is bad for you but do it anyway?
    Ever eaten a processed meal?

Are you a smoker? Could you give up sex? Alcohol? Chocolate? Ciggies?
    If yes to any of those things, you are far more disciplined than I am! (Of course you are, you're not overweight!)

Life isn't easy. I don't find losing weight easy. I'm glad you have the discipline to remain at a reasonable weight (although how do we know that?!) but maybe there are other things you're NOT good at, that I excel at! ;)

+1

My fiancé eats ginormous amounts. And it's not like he only eats one huge meal a day and nothing else. He eats a normal sized breakfast, then his lunches and dinners are always huge. And he snacks a lot and loves his sugar.

He has an office job and his exercise consists of football once a week.

My partner's mother battled her weight her whole adult life. But she was also told by her gp that people like her who watch what they eat (even if with little success) have often a lot lower cholesterol or sugars than those slim people with more active metabolism.

• Advertisement

Dolbert wrote: »
    So people who have never experienced being overweight are better placed to give advice than those who've actually gone through it? "Don't get fat in the first place" is hardly much use to someone with a serious weight problem, is it? Also, if you think a thin person automatically has good eating habits then you're seriously deluded.

I think both can often have solid advice to give. People who have been thin and healthy all their lives tend to make more sensible choices consistently than perhaps people who yo-yo up and down in weight over their lives...

It's rarely just a fluke of nature or genetics to be thin and healthy. Many of the healthiest people I know are subject to the same stresses/cravings/weaknesses as anyone else. It's just that 99% of the time, they find the will power to make the right choices.

You can learn a lot from both sections I think. Not just people who have lost weight.
    MrVestek wrote: »
    As somebody who lost four stone in a year you have absolutely no fecking idea what you're talking about and how easy you have it.

lol... This tired old BS again.

It's NOT automatically harder for you. It's basically just as difficult for EVERYONE!

The reason it probably feels harder for you, is because most fat/unfit people got that way by being lazy to begin with and consistently taking the path of least resistance!

People who never got out of shape, they put effort and work in consistently while you were slacking off and going easy on yourself.

It's insulting when people suggest that things are harder for THEM, even though the whole reason they got out of shape to begin with... was because they took the EASY/LAZY option in the past.

The punishment fits the crime! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I think both can often have solid advice to give. People who have been thin and healthy all their lives tend to make more sensible choices consistently than perhaps people who yo-yo up and down in weight over their lives...

It's rarely just a fluke of nature or genetics to be thin and healthy. Many of the healthiest people I know are subject to the same stresses/cravings/weaknesses as anyone else. It's just that 99% of the time, they find the will power to make the right choices.

You can learn a lot from both sections I think. Not just people who have lost weight.

It's NOT automatically harder for you. It's basically just as difficult for EVERYONE!

The reason it probably feels harder for you, is because most fat/unfit people got that way by being lazy to begin with and consistently taking the path of least resistance!

People who never got out of shape, they put effort and work in consistently while you were slacking off and going easy on yourself.

It's insulting when people suggest that things are harder for THEM, even though the whole reason they got out of shape to begin with... was because they took the EASY/LAZY option in the past.

Do you have any vices ThinkProgress, do you smoke or drink alcohol or gamble? Is there anything that you do that you know is not the best for you but you find it difficult not to do?

So pushing your body when it's four stone heavier than anyone else's equals the same amount of energy output during a workout?

Do you even biology bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

So pushing your body when it's four stone heavier than anyone else's equals the same amount of energy output during a workout?

Do you even biology bro?

Ah yeah but eating at a calorie deficit for years to lose weight is just punishment for being lazy. Duh, why don't you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My husband eats a ginormous breakfast with peanut butter and ham on bread, half a loaf of bread with nutella for his lunch every day and a huge dinner every night (and whatever is left on my plate) and he's often looking for a treat after that. I've seen him devour a christmas box of biscuits by himself.

He's not even got so much as a belly. He does a slow careful 10 minute cycle to and from work (sometimes, not when it's raining or cold, or dark....or a day starting with T or S.) where he plonks down on his bum for the next 9 hours before coming home and plonking himself down on his bum until he goes to bed.

He's an obese man trapped in a skinny mans body!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ah yeah but eating at a calorie deficit for years to lose weight is just punishment for being lazy. Duh, why don't you know this?

It's what you have to do if you want to lose weight though.

I've been eating at a calorie deficit for years to get and keep my weight down, it's not like it's arduous or anything, and I rarely attempt to devour my own left arm from hunger. Just eat loads of veg; calorifically sparse, full of fibre and nutrients, very filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freenow

I love your logic. Me Good Them Bad. Very caveman.

You might not actually realise that weight gain is so much more complicated than the amount of food we eat and exercise we do. Cortisol has a huge role to play in weight gain and there has been research done to show that stress causes people to gain weight. No, not because they are eating crappy food, but because of hormonal interplay.

After a very quick google I found this: (can't post links but it's from MedicineNet)

"But weight gain when under stress may also be at least partly due to the body's system of hormonal checks and balances, which can actually promote weight gain when you're stressed out, according to some researchers."

It's more widely recognised that some disease processes cause people to gain weight as a protective mechanism - eating disorder recovery and diabetes are 2 I can think of from the top of my head. Some people gain weight on certain drug regimes. The effects of poverty on health and weight has been documented and there are even studies looking into the fact that artificial lighting can mess with hormonal balance, especially for people who work night shifts causing weight gain.

Don't even get me started on how yo-yo dieting has been shown to increases the body's natural set point, thereby making people bigger. I know plenty of adults who had their food restricted as children by well meaning parents setting them on a path to complete misery.

Also, 2/3 of people with active eating disorders are either a normal or overweight BMI.

But do continue to play the "lazy" card if it helps you feel better about yourself. Your posts are shockingly lacking in any level of awareness or basic empathy. But everyone loves a good old fattie bashing, right?

Do you even biology bro?

More physics, I would have though.

Personally I find it interesting that as obesity levels continue to rise, a parallel 'fat-apology' industry has grown too, dedicated to selling people the narrative that 'it's not your fault'.

More physics, I would have though.

When talking about pure energy terms then yes but I was talking about muscle mass pushing a heavier weight, it's still harder on the muscles than it would be for a thinner person.

That's biology, pedant.

• Advertisement

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Do you have any vices ThinkProgress, do you smoke or drink alcohol or gamble? Is there anything that you do that you know is not the best for you but you find it difficult not to do?

Why? If I have some dirt on me, you'll respect my views more and give me some pointless internet forum 'likes'? :rolleyes:

This thread is an echo chamber for people of that ilk. You hardly need another addition. ;)

Do you even biology bro?

Fitness is hard for everybody.

You have no right to chastise anyone about "how easy they have it" relative to you... because there's likely no one else to blame for your predicament other than yourself.

It's ignorant and insulting to have a pop at someone, just because they had the self discipline and dedication to keep themselves in shape and you didn't.

Suck it up and live with the consequences of your actions. (or in-actions) ;)
    Sure! :rolleyes:
    Personally I find it interesting that as obesity levels continue to rise, a parallel 'fat-apology' industry has grown too, dedicated to selling people the narrative that 'it's not your fault'.

Great point.

It's classic marketing methodology...

Tell people it's not their fault and how everything is unfair and stacked against them. Do a good enough job of convincing them how fcuked up everything is....

Then when you have them nodding in complete agreement, jump in with your revolutionary new product/gimmick/diet plan etc which will save the day! (which of course it almost never will) :(

These people pray on the weak. And they only get away with it, because they are masters at displaying the EMPATHY that so many people seem to value so much around here!

Sometimes their empathy can be real in some cases - but that doesn't mean their gimmick is real too!

The cold hard truth is better than empathy for these people... although as this thread proves, it won't make you a very popular person. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Why? If I have some dirt on me, you'll respect my views more and give me some pointless internet forum 'likes'? :rolleyes:

This thread is an echo chamber for people of that ilk. You hardly need another addition. ;)

No, I am trying to help you understand that everyone has different vices, be it a sweet tooth or a penchant for betting on the horses or smoking 50 cigarettes a day. It is incredibly easy for me to say to a smoker, ''just stop smoking, it's bad for your health, you are causing other people harm with your passive smoking, it is as simple as not lighting up''. It is easy for me to say that as a non-smoker, because I'm not addicted to nicotine, and I could just as easily tell someone who enjoys having a drink to put the bottle of vodka down, because I don't feel like I desperately need a drink.

Everyone has to try to exercise self-control when it comes to eating, of course they do, but for some people it is more difficult than for others, as food is their particular vice, the thing that they do to relax/comfort themselves/ as a form of socialisation (meeting people and going for a meal), recreation - cooking and enjoying what you make.

However, I am not saying that this means that it is impossible for someone who is overweight to lose weight, as I have lost a lot of weight myself, even though food is definitely one of my vices, so I am not excusing people who are overweight, I am merely trying to explain to you that people have different vices and it affects how difficult it is for them to remain dedicated to a healthy eating plan.

kylith wrote: »
    It's what you have to do if you want to lose weight though.

I've been eating at a calorie deficit for years to get and keep my weight down, it's not like it's arduous or anything, and I rarely attempt to devour my own left arm from hunger. Just eat loads of veg; calorifically sparse, full of fibre and nutrients, very filling.

You'll notice you got barely any likes on your comment there... most on this thread don't want the truth. They want lies, gimmicks and empathy!
    freenow wrote: »
    But do continue to play the "lazy" card if it helps you feel better about yourself. Your posts are shockingly lacking in any level of awareness or basic empathy. But everyone loves a good old fattie bashing, right?

lol... Telling people the truth = "fattie bashing"!

And I'm the neanderthal? :rolleyes:

Just because you want it to be complicated, doesn't mean it is complicated.

Almost anything can be complicated if you want it to be. Just like almost anything can be simplified too!

I'm fully aware of all the complicated theories on weight loss and fitness. So aware in fact, that I know most of them are pointless and counter productive.

Are you getting the prosecution complex now? Nobody likes me because I tell it like it is?

It's not that what you are saying is that insulting, or thought truth, it's just mind bogglingly ignorant. I actually can't comprehend how someone can write so many posts saying so little of value. And that not because I disagree with you but because you managed to ignore so much scientific research that I have no doubt you would make a great creationist teacher.

It's ignorant and insulting to have a pop at someone.

Irony - thy name is ThinkProgress.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    This is the only warning that is going on this thread, card and bans from henceforth.
    Keep on topic please.Attack the post not the poster.
    Yes, I said 'henceforth'.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭unreg999

One side with an avalanche of excuses, and other in a state of bemusement underneath said avalanche.

I'd like to see this 'avalanche of excuses' as you put it... I don't see any excuses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

My husband eats a ginormous breakfast with peanut butter and ham on bread, half a loaf of bread with nutella for his lunch every day and a huge dinner every night (and whatever is left on my plate) and he's often looking for a treat after that. I've seen him devour a christmas box of biscuits by himself.

He's not even got so much as a belly. He does a slow careful 10 minute cycle to and from work (sometimes, not when it's raining or cold, or dark....or a day starting with T or S.) where he plonks down on his bum for the next 9 hours before coming home and plonking himself down on his bum until he goes to bed.

Everybody knows somebody that is skinny even though they eat so much, thing is though the differences are small for most people, about 200 kCal which isn't a big amount, couple of biscuits one chocolate bar one pack of crisps.
    Some people do have a faster metabolism and some people have slower metabolisms but unless your in the exceptionally slow end of metabolism and your husband is in the highest end, it shouldn't be noticable, e.g there is a 1/200 chance you and him have a difference of 600kCal plus in metabolic rate
    Most likely explanation is he is male (higher calorific burn), more muscular (burns more calories), is twitchy (burns more calories), doesn't snack ever (apart from after dinner)

TLDR it could be his metabolism but its not that likely and even then it shouldn't be as noticeable unless you also have an exceptionally low metabolism

http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

Edit: and this is the problem with these sorts of topics is we let the exceptional rather than the normal dictate how the issue is viewed

I'lk change the subject a bit but it is something that I am entertained by for a while now. I think HSE ads aimed at parents giving them advice about habits of kids are good idea. What I don't get is that spaghetti bolognese add about portion sizes for kids. Why suggest smaller servings and then plonk on the table also four huge slices of garlic bread. I love pasta and I love bread but surely I am not the only one in thinking that they really shouldn't be eaten together. Surely some salad would be better (or nice red wine :D).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

My OH is the same.

How a 5'2" 8 stone woman can eat so much & not put weight on is a mystery to me :confused:

In fairness, she walks the dog twice a day & swims 10 lengths of the pool every day, she still eats more than 6'2" 17 stone me :eek:

Are you getting the prosecution complex now? Nobody likes me because I tell it like it is?

It's not that what you are saying is that insulting, or thought truth, it's just mind bogglingly ignorant. I actually can't comprehend how someone can write so many posts saying so little of value. And that not because I disagree with you but because you managed to ignore so much scientific research that I have no doubt you would make a great creationist teacher.

I'd never really consider it my place to suggest someone stop posting in a thread, but ThinkProgress, haven't you said enough now? You're just repeating yourself with no progression, and the points weren't that great to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I'lk change the subject a bit but it is something that I am entertained by for a while now. I think HSE ads aimed at parents giving them advice about habits of kids are good idea. What I don't get is that spaghetti bolognese add about portion sizes for kids. Why suggest smaller servings and then plonk on the table also four huge slices of garlic bread. I love pasta and I love bread but surely I am not the only one in thinking that they really shouldn't be eaten together. Surely some salad would be better (or nice red wine :D).

I was shocked at what size a portion of pasta should be so I do have a lot of sympathy for those trying to cut down, on the flip side I know people hate potato's but boiled spuds sort of surprised me on how low on calories they are (I know high GI and stuff but in terms of calories quiet low)

I was shocked at what size a portion of pasta should be so I do have a lot of sympathy for those trying to cut down, on the flip side I know people hate potato's but boiled spuds sort of surprised me on how low on calories they are (I know high GI and stuff but in terms of calories quiet low)

Yeah, potatoes are grand, calorie-wise. You can have a very decent portion for 150 calories. Much easier to overeat pasta, rice and bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yeah, potatoes are grand, calorie-wise. You can have a very decent portion for 150 calories. Much easier to overeat pasta, rice and bread.

Is there a good website for this/calculator which gives a rough guide??

The MyFitnessPal app gives fairly good calorie calculations of food that you input into it :)

• Advertisement

The MyFitnessPal app gives fairly good calorie calculations of food that you input into it :)

I know I asked this before but I never had a dayscent phone before lately to try this...but how do you figure out the weights or just estimate the amount like 150g spuds??

Loads of info out there. Make sure it's the calories of the raw products you're using if you're weighing things out before cooking them.

Loads of info out there. Make sure it's the calories of the raw products you're using if you're weighing things out before cooking them.

I have a very unexciting diet (also terrible-getting better though) so I guess I need only weigh the stuff once :pac:

I know I asked this before but I never had a dayscent phone before lately to try this...but how do you figure out the weights or just estimate the amount like 150g spuds??

You get a small kitchen scales and weigh them :P

You get a small kitchen scales and weigh them :P

Like the drug dealer ones :pac:

*in all seriousness....thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement