Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV Guidance

Options
  • 13-09-2015 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

I am in my final year of university and want to create a CV to apply for graduate positions.

My issue is that it will have taken me 7 years to complete my 4 year course. This is due to me failing a year and then leaving that course to try out different things but then subsequently returning to complete the degree.

I started my degree in 2009, then left it for 2 years as I didn't feel it was the right choice but then returned in 2012 to complete it. How do I show this on my CV? I was considering just writing my graduation date on my CV but surely employers will pick up on the 7 year gap between my leaving certificate and graduation.

In the 2 year gap, I attempted different courses and was in employment for a little while but nothing of consequence. I realise it is important to be honest but does anyone know the best way to present this on my CV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I would just put the graduation date on it. If you get a good final grade it will matter less.

But, if they do ask why you took 2 years out, then put a positive a spin on it. I don't think many will think a young person taking two years out of study will bother them. Do try and give positives - even if the jobs you did are not relevant to your degree they can still show you achieved something... Think hard! :)

Advertisement