Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German volume Training

• 13-09-2015 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm coming to the end of phase 1 Gvt.
    I was following a program that I was happy with, but they didn't give much info on phase 2. They basically said to continue what your doing but lower the reps.
    I've read other programs where it says to change the excersise, lower the reps, and lift a bit heavier.
    Any reccomendations welcome please. So far I've been doing

Chest/back
    10 x 10 flat bench press
    10 x 10 lat pull down
    3 x 10 cable crossover
    3 x 10 seated row

Legs
    10 x 10 squat
    10 x 10 lying leg curl
    3 x 10 calf raise
    Abs

Shoulders/arms
    10 x 10 upright rows
    10 x 10 dumbbell shoulder press
    3 x 10 bicep curls
    3 x 10 triceps cable push downs

So should I continue this with more weight less reps or mix it up a bit and do 10 x 6 sets.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'd follow what ever variant of the program you have says to do.

Generally though, there's a few points to note:

- You're supposed to take a break (of 3 cycles or whatever split you choose) where you reduce the volume and don't do tempo sets before going onto phase two.
    - The 10 x 6 is second phase is supposed to be with a heavier weight, ~12RM.

Again I'd say follow the program for the recommended exercises but if they don't give any then just choose a variant e.g. DB bench instead of BB bench, chins instead of lat pull downs etc.

Also 20 sets of pressing a week (bench press plus OH press) in addition to 10 sets of upright rows sounds like a recipe for shoulder pain. Most variants of GVT I've seen have day 3 as being predominantly about biceps and triceps i.e. they are the 10 x 10 exercises. The delts/traps are usually the 3 x 10 exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I'd follow what ever variant of the program you have says to do.

Generally though, there's a few points to note:

- You're supposed to take a break (of 3 cycles or whatever split you choose) where you reduce the volume and don't do tempo sets before going onto phase two.
    - The 10 x 6 is second phase is supposed to be with a heavier weight, ~12RM.

Again I'd say follow the program for the recommended exercises but if they don't give any then just choose a variant e.g. DB bench instead of BB bench, chins instead of lat pull downs etc.

Also 20 sets of pressing a week (bench press plus OH press) in addition to 10 sets of upright rows sounds like a recipe for shoulder pain. Most variants of GVT I've seen have day 3 as being predominantly about biceps and triceps i.e. they are the 10 x 10 exercises. The delts/traps are usually the 3 x 10 exercises.

Cheers thanks for that.
    No shoulder pain as of yet anyway. Ive been taking longer rest days simply because there's only certain days I can get to the gym.
    I'm gonna cut out the upright rows and concentrate more on arms for this phase.
    Do I do my 10 x 6 sets and do the other 3 x 10 sets too?

Advertisement