Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security Advice

Options
  • 13-09-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Had a salesman from Phonewatch out yesterday doing the hard sell.
    While I don't doubt the quality of their system and backup I think the monthly fee is very expensive.
    Has anyone installed the system and then cancelled the monthly monitoring fee and worked the system via the app? Having the alarm box on the front of the house would be a good initial deterrent I think. I know that I would be liable for call out fees etc.
    Against this can anyone recommend a good alternative wireless system for a private dwelling. I have no issue with the installation fee etc but would have with exorbitant monitoring fees.

Many thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A few facts:
    The app will not work without their monitoring.
    Their system works on PiRs , it will only activate after someone has broken in. Most systems activate on an attempt to gain entry.
    This system can only work with PW monitoring station & can only be maintained by PW. You will be tied to them for all service & maintenance of the system for the life of your alarm system.
    The PiRs have cameras which will transmit pictures from inside your house in the event of any alarm activation.
    If you want an alarm with app services etc there are plenty of free options with much better protection.
    As always my advice is shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

And as already been mentioned but IMO is the issue that most people don't realise is that if you decide to cancel your Phonewatch contract you can't get another alarm company to take over that system. You will have to buy another complete system if you want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP just have a look through this forum and count the amount of posters that have been on here to see what their options are after getting PW systems installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Thanks for the feedback lads.

I asked the salesman that specific question about what happens the system when I cancel the monthly monitoring fee and he told me that the app still works so I would still get updates from the system itself to my phone but I wouldn't get the phone call to the guards etc.
    so was he outright lying to make a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Salesman you say....mmmm.
    Get it in writing and then make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi again,

Looking for some follow on advice.

Looking for a stand alone security system but don't really know much about them.
    Had a read through a few different threads on here to get a better idea.
    What recommendations would people make if they were setting up their own system from scratch.
    I have a stand alone 2 storey house. 3 doors-front, back and patio.

Are most systems based around connect points at windows and doors and is the shock type sensors a step up on this? Is there much point installing motion sensors after when ya have used the shock type sensors.
    When getting quotes for the job what else should I be asking to be included?

Is it a good idea to have all the upstairs windows on sensors or is this a waste? Should I be looking for a control panel on both floors and I have also read on here about a panic button type remote for the bedroom.

Apologies for all the questions, really not clued in on this but it is something I want to sort out in the next couple of weeks. Have left it on the long finger for long enough at this stage!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most good systems would cover all ground floor & accessible windows with sensors & contacts to detect opening & forced entry. After that a couple of PiRs in the hall/landing areas.
    If you are looking for a good stand alone system I would recommend SPC(Siemens) , GSD or Risco. These all offer free apps with free notifications & no running costs.
    There is a good sticky on it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782
    But follow it through to the end as many features have improved since that thread was started.

Advertisement