Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppy food

• 13-09-2015 12:17pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi guys ,

Have a 9 week old German shepherd , who has been eating his own poo ! I am feeding him the champion puppy food from dogsfooddirect. Is this because he's not getting enough nutrients in this food ? For the price I can easily change him to taste of the wild etc , Also I can never seem to keep him full !

Cheers !

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How does he look condition-wise op? Is he chubby and cuddlesome, or do you find it hard to keep weight on him?
    What are his poops like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

There a few different Champion puppy foods, which one are you using?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

His poops are nice and formed , haven't had a runny one yet . His condition is good and he's active , coat etc is fine . I'm using the lamb sweet potato and asparagus one , in general is champion a good food to be using ? Also he is 6kg

I actually use the grain free Champion & find it excellent. It is a high meat content. I also feed raw chicken & tins of sardines/oily fish.

One of mine has skin issues since spaying & it is the only food that does not give her issues.

How many times are you feeding?

I'm feeding roughly 400g a day broken into 3 times a day , should I add something else to this even at such a young age ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    I'm feeding roughly 400g a day broken into 3 times a day , should I add something else to this even at such a young age ?

At 9 weeks, I'd be offering him a 4th meal... if he eats it, it means he needs it!

Have a read of this current thread too... measuring/limiting such a young pup's food is not something myself (or other posters) would support:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057492342

Dubs1990 wrote: »

I would say he needs a bit more then 400g. To give you an idea my 4.5kg 5 month old Border Terrier puppy gets more then that a day. She is very lively though.

Okay brilliant ! Thanks for the help guys ! All a learning curve he's my first big dog so unsure of certain things !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wonder would an anti-gulp/go-slow bowl help as well as feeding the 4 meals? I've visions on the pup wolfing the food down and it's maybe just moving thru his system too fast? I had 2 for Lucy - the first one got too small for her and she couldn't get the food out lol :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animal-Instincts-Anti-Skid-Medium/dp/B003YGPVNI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442225224&sr=8-3&keywords=anti+gulp+bowl
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Slow-Feed-Bowl-1-5/dp/B003TOQ0CG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442225258&sr=8-2&keywords=go+slow+bowl

That could do the job because he does wolf it down , he's going the poo at least 8 times a day ! Really unsure if I should change his food and also to what brand ! The little guy just had a burst of energy for 15 minx and is out for the count now 😂 ! What's people's views on ACANA vs CHAMPION ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement