Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to do vet but I also want to do home ec

• 13-09-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I want to do veterinary medecibe but in my school it is a choice between home ec chemistry and construction. I need chemistry for a vet but I also want to do home ec. Is there any way to do both?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

Hey.

It's great that you know what you want to do, the fact that you know what requirements you need helps as well. As far as doing both in school is concerned, I would imagine that you're out of luck. Schools very rarely if at all change what they plan to offer. If you're absolutely dead set on doing vet. then you will have to do chemistry at the expense of home ec.

That said, you could always opt to study home ec. outside of school and sit the exam. I personally wouldn't really recommend it (I'm doing the same with business and it's not as easy as one might think). You also have coursework with home ec. which complicates things a bit.

The people best equipped to advise you are your guidance councillor and a home ec. teacher. I hope they can help you to make the right choice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

DA7800 wrote: »
    Hey.

It's great that you know what you want to do, the fact that you know what requirements you need helps as well. As far as doing both in school is concerned, I would imagine that you're out of luck. Schools very rarely if at all change what they plan to offer. If you're absolutely dead set on doing vet. then you will have to do chemistry at the expense of home ec.

That said, you could always opt to study home ec. outside of school and sit the exam. I personally wouldn't really recommend it (I'm doing the same with business and it's not as easy as one might think). You also have coursework with home ec. which complicates things a bit.

The people best equipped to advise you are your guidance councillor and a home ec. teacher. I hope they can help you to make the right choice for you.

I have a second interest in the field of science but I don't know what science job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

If you're sure that you want to do veterinary then you'll have to sacrifice home ec, unless you can find a way that your school will let you do both. Unfortunately both subjects have practical elements and therefore would be difficult to do outside of school, unless you went to a grinds school but that can be very expensive.
    If veterinary's what you really want, giving up home ec for the sake of two year's of chemistry is definitely the way to go.

Any advice on how to get the points for the vet? Can I do a course before it and then do graduate vet medecine? Or how would I study abroad if I have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Any advice on how to get the points for the vet? Can I do a course before it and then do graduate vet medecine? Or how would I study abroad if I have to?

Just study smart and study hard, you're lucky to know what you need early enough so you know what you need to aim for and hopefully that will motivate you.

You can go the grad route but you have to get top grades in your undergrad course, have experience etc. and it's still quite hard to get in to. It's also an expensive route.

To study abroad you can apply to the UK schools through UCAS in 6th year. Many of the UK schools need you to have lots of experience with different species so if you're planning on doing that then start now (small animal practices, equine practices, all the different types of farms, abattoirs, boarding kennels, catteries etc.). Some will also require you to do the BMAT, which is kind of like the HPAT we have here for medicine. Schools in England are quite expensive €12-15 grand a year I think, as well as living expenses, Scotland have "free fees" like us. A lot of Irish students are also applying to Budapest in recent years, though I'm not quite sure what that application process entails I've heard that college there is quite expensive.
    Your school guidance councillor will probably know a lot more about this than I do so it's best to have a chat with them as soon as possible. Once you have a goal it's easier to work towards it.

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement

QCS123 wrote: »
    Just study smart and study hard, you're lucky to know what you need early enough so you know what you need to aim for and hopefully that will motivate you.

You can go the grad route but you have to get top grades in your undergrad course, have experience etc. and it's still quite hard to get in to. It's also an expensive route.

To study abroad you can apply to the UK schools through UCAS in 6th year. Many of the UK schools need you to have lots of experience with different species so if you're planning on doing that then start now (small animal practices, equine practices, all the different types of farms, abattoirs, boarding kennels, catteries etc.). Some will also require you to do the BMAT, which is kind of like the HPAT we have here for medicine. Schools in England are quite expensive €12-15 grand a year I think, as well as living expenses, Scotland have "free fees" like us. A lot of Irish students are also applying to Budapest in recent years, though I'm not quite sure what that application process entails I've heard that college there is quite expensive.
    Your school guidance councillor will probably know a lot more about this than I do so it's best to have a chat with them as soon as possible. Once you have a goal it's easier to work towards it.

Best of luck!!

I will study hard and smart!I am in fourth year now but I will start in fifth year.Any tips on studying so I can study hard and smart?I got a bit lazy in junior cert but I would like to work hard for senior cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Just as a note, as far as I'm aware, studying veterinary in England means you can't practice in Ireland. Also, with the course in Budapest, it's a lot harder to get a job in Ireland due to the perceived lower standards (as it has lower standards to get into).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭_Godot_

sup_dude wrote:
    Just as a note, as far as I'm aware, studying veterinary in England means you can't practice in Ireland.

Why's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

_Godot_ wrote:
    Why's that?

I'm honestly not sure. Anyone I know who didn't get into UCD went to Budapest, stating that as a reason

Advertisement