Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden chalet / granny flat

Options
  • 13-09-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a company that does good value garden chalets / granny flats, something that would be warm and well enough insulated to sleep in now and again and with a mini kitchen and bathroom with shower. I'm thinking of something for the occasional visit from relatives and friends so the odd few days or weekends here and there.

My garden is 13m long by 8m wide, so I'd be looking for something around 7m wide and 4 or 5m deep. I've heard of -snip- but they're pretty expensive by all accounts.

The existing waste drainage from the house should be easily accessible, and I'm not sure but I'm hoping I can tap into the house electricity also.

Some questions:

- How much extra would need to be spent on top of the chalet cost, for stuff like concrete base, waste and electricity connection, etc.
    - Do granny flats and these type of structure require planning permission?
    - Are there any companies outside Ireland that sell these, maybe some kind of flat pack? If so would it make financial sense to import and then get a local builder to assemble it?

All tips, info, ideas, advice, views, thoughts, or wise words greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

No adds thanks, please read the forum charter.

Any recommendations by PM

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

BryanF wrote: »
    Any recommendations by PM

Ok no worries, happy to take recommendations by PM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ok no worries, happy to take recommendations by PM

Have you got planning permission already?

1- How much extra would need to be spent on top of the chalet cost, for stuff like concrete base, waste and electricity connection, etc.
    2- Do granny flats and these type of structure require planning permission?
    3- Are there any companies outside Ireland that sell these, maybe some kind of flat pack?
    4- If so would it make financial sense to import and then get a local builder to assemble it?

All tips, info, ideas, advice, views, thoughts, or wise words greatly appreciated :)
    1. No idea
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. probably not

kceire wrote: »
    Have you got planning permission already?

No, one of my questions is if a structure like this would need pp.

• Advertisement

1. No idea
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. probably not

Thanks, very helpful :rolleyes:

Maybe I should rephrase my questions:

- What else would I need and how much would need to be spent on top of the chalet cost - stuff like concrete base, waste and electricity connection, etc.
    - What are the planning permission requirements for granny flats and these type of structures? Are they exempt if under a certain size?
    - Does anyone know any companies outside Ireland that sell these, maybe some kind of flat pack?
    - If someone has specific examples of costs would it make financial sense to import and then get a local builder to assemble it?

All tips, info etc etc.. :)

1 - What else would I need and how much would need to be spent on top of the chalet cost - stuff like concrete base, waste and electricity connection, etc.
    2 - What are the planning permission requirements for granny flats and these type of structures?
    3 a Are they exempt if under a certain size?
    4 - Does anyone know any companies outside Ireland that sell these, maybe some kind of flat pack?
    5 - If someone has specific examples of costs would it make financial sense to import and then get a local builder to assemble it?

1. No idea. get a drawing done and get 3 quotes
    2. Get drawings and apply for planning. It's classed as a habitable building that is not connected to the main house for sleeping in - so it needs planning
    3. No

- What else would I need and how much would need to be spent on top of the chalet cost - stuff like concrete base, waste and electricity connection, etc.
    - What are the planning permission requirements for granny flats and these type of structures? Are they exempt if under a certain size?
    - Does anyone know any companies outside Ireland that sell these, maybe some kind of flat pack?
    - If someone has specific examples of costs would it make financial sense to import and then get a local builder to assemble it?

You need a builder to price for the works. So you need construction drawings after you have obtained planning. The base and foundations will depend on size and on site ground conditions. Electric connection is to the existing dwelling.

Granny flats are classed as domestic extensions and they must be connected to the main dwelling itself. There are no exemptions for a granny flat as they do not fall under the exempted class.

The extension needs to meet Irish building regulations which includes CE Certification so wherever you see these 'kits' make sure they comply.

1. No idea. get a drawing done and get 3 quotes

What I had in mind is more of a pre-built wooden shed or chalet rather than a custom concrete build, so not sure if I need drawings for something like this.

With this in mind can anyone give me a ball park idea of what extras *might* be needed for a 7m x 4m chalet with bathroom and mini kitchen, again stuff like concrete base, plumbing, electrics, etc.

All I'm looking for at this point is a rough cost of the extras required.

What I had in mind is more of a pre-built wooden shed or chalet rather than a custom concrete build, so not sure if I need drawings for something like this.

With this in mind can anyone give me a ball park idea of what extras *might* be needed for a 7m x 4m chalet with bathroom and mini kitchen, again stuff like concrete base, plumbing, electrics, etc.

You cannot do this as it will. It meet building regulations. It has to be properly built (can be timber framed) and connected to the existing house.

I think you have misconceptions of what a granny flat is and what is allowed in legal terms with regards to the planning and development act and also the building regulations.

7m X 4m extension is 28 Sq. M in total so I would budget about 30k give or take depending on spec and detail of finish picked.

Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I'm pricing a steel garage/shed at the moment and -Snip- do a garden room/ home office that sounds like something similar. 6mx4m for around 13000 or so
    -snip-/

I'm pricing a steel garage/shed at the moment- snip-do a garden room/ home office that -snip- url]

Does it comply with building regulations and how does it connect to the existing house and keep the main access through the existing dwelling which is a development plan requirement (here in Dublin).

kceire wrote: »
    Does it comply with building regulations and how does it connect to the existing house and keep the main access through the existing dwelling which is a development plan requirement (here in Dublin).

I have no idea if it complies to building reg's or not Kceire. It's not my area of expertise.
    Like I said, I'm looking at different companies for a garage or shed for my own home and I remembered that crowd had something like he was describing.
    I was only being helpful when I linked to the site with the price.

No adds thanks

I have no idea if it complies to building reg's or not Kceire. It's not my area of expertise.
    Like I said, I'm looking at different companies for a garage or shed for my own home and I remembered that crowd had something like he was describing.
    I was only being helpful when I linked to the site with the price.

No problem there. My question was more aimed at the OP to show he cannot just plonk up a shed and expect it to comply with our regulations. For a shed or garage they are fine as they are exempt from the building regulations (garage will have to comply with some fire safety regs if connected to house though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Yup, what kceire said. From my short time on here said poster is very knowledgeable.

Apologies BryanF , It wasn't my intention to advertise a particular company's product. It's just in another area of the forum I actively post on we frequently post links to products , brands etc.
    thanks again.

I'm pricing a steel garage/shed at the moment and -Snip- do a garden room/ home office that sounds like something similar. 6mx4m for around 13000 or so
    -snip-/

Hi Mitch, I'd really appreciate if you could send me the name of the company in a private message...thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

Do you need planning permission for a wooden chalet that will be lived in? is it not a temporary structure thing?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jacksn wrote: »
    Do you need planning permission for a wooden chalet that will be lived in? is it not a temporary structure thing?

Yes you do.

"temporary structure" exemptions are a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

reading the FAQ on a website that supplies them, they say

The vast majority of studios are exempted from planning under Class 3 of the General Exempted Development provisions of the planning regulations. The size limit for no planning is 25 square metres (268 square feet).

Yes. All habitable space in the rear garden requires planning. And it will most likely be refused.

The vast majority of studios are exempted from planning under Class 3 of the General Exempted Development provisions of the planning regulations. The size limit for no planning is 25 square metres (268 square feet).

You are reading the exempted limits for sheds and studios and home office and gym etc

Once you plan on living in it, it then changes from Class 3 and is no longer exempt.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

big difference between a room thats used for the enjoyment of the house ie studio / gym etc...
    and an independent habitable space which you refer to when you say "lived in"

Advertisement