Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry wine in progress some questions

Options
  • 13-09-2015 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

So got my fermenting kit-25l bucket with airlock/bubbler tap-and yeast nutrient and camden tabs.

Basically picked 5kgs of blackberries and added 5kgs of sugar and 9.5l of boiling water.with rest of ingredients following accordingly.

now wine started to ferment day after yeast were put in-as bubbler would indicate life,now im sticking to stirring it every 24hrs and its almost day 3 now.

But had a taste yesterday and it was quite yummy more like raspberry wine and very sirupy.

Since i dont really have a warm place atm not using boiler closet since no need for heating in house yet-so its fermenting in the kitchen where temps are around 15-20degrees c with towels wrapped around it.

So worried a bit is it safe that temps aren't quite high ?

Also given that ive followed US recipe everything was in pints and lbs for measuring thus used converter,but not sure now should i have added more water to it,since it comes out 5kgs berries,same amount sugar and 10l water-if its too little would it be safe to buy 2l of water and just pour it in now,or should i wait till second stage when i strain it after a week or so ?

Since its my first time making it,didn't go as far as getting gravity tester,and not sure if id made any mistakes,today ive given it some heat from gas heater and its bubbling like mad,and even without heat there's plenty of gasses inside as lid is quite pressurized.

final goal would be to get around 12% alcohol,dont mind if it will be extra sweet but,if i could make more wine without a lose, id be willing to add water-if it wont affect yeast.

So to sum it up are my ingredients measured correctly ratios given,and should i be worried that temps aren't consistent.Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sounds like a lot of fruit to water ratio to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Temperatures sound perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

just checked the level on outside and must is at 17lt mark exactly-so not sure how much juice will be extracted from berries alone-but id imagine close to 2-3l in total.

So my guess total of 12l after first stage-that would be 1/3 fruit water ratio.

I did add water while boiling it in different pots to account for loss on evaporation on such huge amount,so might actually put in extra litre or so by doing that,thus would explain 17lt mark.

Advertisement