Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] wet suit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I never personally tried any but when I mentioned I'd like to get the ORCA one friend that has it told me that he's not really satisfied, it's not the most comfortable one he tried. I do still plan to at least give it a test try so if you end up buying it it would be grand if you could post a review...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

barrabus wrote: »

Both of these are entry level suits and at that price there will not be much between them and also probably not be the most flexible on the market. Your best bet is try both of the on as it is the fit that will make the difference. Some suits will fit better on you that other suits. Both of them are manufactured by company's (Orca and Huub) that get good reviews on there higher end suit.
    But as I said it's the fit that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ceepo wrote: »
    Both of these are entry level cheap suits
    they are not entry level.

Let me explain why:

They are designed as cheap suits, the Orca at least tells you what it is for. Designed as an Openwater wetsuit it is uses by experienced and accomplished swimmers who want a little bit more warmth.

The 3mm neoprene is not buoyant it offers a small bit of heat retention / protection from the cold, think in terms of an extra 10 mins in September seas swims for most.

If you are a beginner looking for an entry level suit you will need a suit that offers more buoyancy and more heat retention which is why the Orca S5 is the entry level triathlon suit, not the Openwater.

The Planet X I am not familiar with but would presume similar.

No issue with buying to suit your budget but do not get conned by thinknig that the Openwater is an entry level suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    I never personally tried any but when I mentioned I'd like to get the ORCA one friend that has it told me that he's not really satisfied, it's not the most comfortable one he tried. I do still plan to at least give it a test try so if you end up buying it it would be grand if you could post a review...

If your friend got the Openwater, see my post above as to what he wouldn't be satisfied with it.

Good swimmers would possibly use it as a 2nd suit for training in and reserve their good suits for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I hate Planet X stuff but it looks like the better suit of the 2
    I would not recommend either but answered you question.
    As for heat retention that is usually more important for skinnier athletes and this are often( not always of course) the more advanced athletes .but yes for females this s overal a good point
    barrabus wrote: »
    Has anyone got ant opinion on the better open water swimming wetsuits between these 2 ?

But on the heat thing I set a 3.8 k pb with a 110 euro wetsuit

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/triathlon-wetsuits/orca-open-water-wetsuit-2015.html

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WEPX/planet-x--wet-suit

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    they are not entry level.

Let me explain why:

They are designed as cheap suits, the Orca at least tells you what it is for. Designed as an Openwater wetsuit it is uses by experienced and accomplished swimmers who want a little bit more warmth.

The 3mm neoprene is not buoyant it offers a small bit of heat retention / protection from the cold, think in terms of an extra 10 mins in September seas swims for most.

If you are a beginner looking for an entry level suit you will need a suit that offers more buoyancy and more heat retention which is why the Orca S5 is the entry level triathlon suit, not the Openwater.

The Planet X I am not familiar with but would presume similar.

No issue with buying to suit your budget but do not get conned by thinknig that the Openwater is an entry level suit.

Extreme apologise to the OP for any confusion caused so.
    I remember reading a few reviews earlier this year when I was in the market for a new suit. Sorry can't link to them from my phone but i remember Slowtwitch 220 and Startfitness described the Orca as entry level.
    I guess you can believe everything you read on the Internet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Ceepo wrote: »
    Extreme apologise to the OP for any confusion caused so.
    I remember reading a few reviews earlier this year when I was in the market for a new suit. Sorry can't link to them from my phone but i remember Slowtwitch 220 and Startfitness described the Orca as entry level.
    I guess you can believe everything you read on the Internet ;)

your problem is that if you read and 220 tests your are doomed ;-)

peter kern wrote: »
    your problem is that if you read and 220 tests your are doomed ;-)

Lol.
    Seen as I didn't buy one I just might be saved
    ;)

Advertisement