Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about buying a preowned Xbox One

Options
  • 13-09-2015 5:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market now to buy a Xbox One, at long last, it's the only one of the current gen systems I don't own and I am spurred on by Rare Replay and Halo 5.
    My question is this, if I pick up a second hand one and I see many are advertised with games already installed, do the games stay on the console even when I use my own XBL sign in as primary?
    Or will it all just disappear?
    I would surmise I have to keep the original owners XBL profile on the console to use them, and deleting that will cause the installed titles to be erased.
    Is this the case?
    Please let me know ahead of my investing!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

If the profile is deleted the games will remain on the Xbox One, however you won't have the licence to play them.

When you click a game it will open a screen prompt that states "do you own this game?" and a link to the Xbox store to purchase it.

Be careful with buying an Xbox One with someone's profile included in the deal. I wouldn't pay a penny more for that privilege. Yes you'll be able to access their games while their profile remains on the console but if they ever change their mind they could report unauthorised access to their Microsoft account. They can then reclaim their account and Microsoft could possibly ban your console.

If there is a profile on a console you purchase I recommend deleting it. Game installs are fine, if you choose to you can buy these games later and you have saved yourself a download.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

with the deals going on in argos i think youd be crazy to buy second hand these days you can get a brand spanky new Xbox one for 350 with a game.

if you are lucky they have dropped as low as 330 in argos but you need to be quick they fly off the shelves.

last week they were doing a deal where you buy the gears of war bundle and you got MGS free

the current offer isnt the best you get evolve free with it (which is a poor game) but the deal changes almost every week
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2585530/c_1/1|category_root|Video+games|14419738/c_2/3|19780877|Xbox+One|37328270/c_3/4|cat_37328270|Xbox+One+consoles|37328802.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can get a Xbox One for €250 or less on Adverts.
    And there's only a game or two I want, owning a PS4 and a WiiU as well.
    I have no interest in the installed games at all, just reckoned it was a ruse to get eejits to spend more money than they should on a second hand console.
    I'm in the gaming lark for a long, long time and I know the advantages of buying new, I know all about Argos and their various deals.
    Anyhow, I'm sure I'll find a good one, and be ready for Halo 5!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Provided the previous owner's account is still on the console and it's set as their home console you'll be able to play the games on it, but they will have the power to take away the privilege at any time so unless it's someone you know and trust I wouldn't have it as a deciding factor in a purchase.

Advertisement