Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labouring Work in Remote areas?

Options
  • 13-09-2015 6:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a 2 year WHV and I'm just looking for some info/advice on labouring work in the more remote areas of Canada. I was talking with someone that recently returned (from Alberta I believe) and he was telling me that while he was over there he was working as a labourer and staying on a large purpose built camp where he had his own dorm with a communal canteen as well as various other facilities.

He said he'd work for 3 weeks straight and then have a week off after which he'd return to the site and the cycle would start again. He implied that he was making very good money and saving almost all of it all as he had no major expenses (accomodation, food, transport, etc was covered by the company he worked for). He saved a considerable amount of cash during his time in Canada and has now returned home to buy a house here.

Can anyone advise on where I would be able to apply for a job like this? Or is it a case of who you know? I have 2 years experience labouring in Ireland although no trade.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

He was probably working somewhere like Fort McMurray. Be aware that it's harder to find casual labouring jobs like this there since the price of oil started going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yeah, pretty bad timing, especially for a TFW. The patch is pretty quiet right now and most likely will be for the foreseeable future.. Good luck though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 27 prideaspunch

Your best bet is to pick a trade, and locate their local Union hall in Alberta or Saskatchewan.
    Then register as a first year apprentice with the Union and follow their instructions as to how best you can get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Your best bet is to pick a trade, and locate their local Union hall in Alberta or Saskatchewan.
    Then register as a first year apprentice with the Union and follow their instructions as to how best you can get to work.

You can't do an apprenticeship or study on a working holiday visa.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

el diablo wrote: »
    You can't do an apprenticeship or study on a working holiday visa.

You can study so long as the course is less than 6 months. You definitely cannot do an apprenticeship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Get an IEC visa and just head over here. Much easier to get a laboring job if you are in country than applying from abroad.

Oil and Gas has gone quiet at the moment. There is a huge project coming up at Williston Lake in BC soon ( C dam). Will be creating about 3.5k jobs (or so I hear). Probably be starting after the winter.

Might be worth your while looking into that! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Arcto wrote: »
    Get an IEC visa and just head over here. Much easier to get a laboring job if you are in country than applying from abroad.

Oil and Gas has gone quiet at the moment. There is a huge project coming up at Williston Lake in BC soon ( C dam). Will be creating about 3.5k jobs (or so I hear). Probably be starting after the winter.

Might be worth your while looking into that! Best of luck.

Site C dam construction has already started. Well they are clearing trees and starting to build roads. The closest town is called Fort St. John. They will be constructing huge work camps for this but not sure if they have started yet. Fort st John was my home town before I moved to Ireland. Have a look at the local news paper http://energeticcity.ca or alsakhighway news

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Manitoba2015

lots of work still in canada boys. go north and when i say go north i mean it.. northern mb, nunavut is where the real coin is at..:)

Advertisement