Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with bank surrounding garden.

Options
  • 13-09-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a weed covered 1m high bank with some white thorn and other trees on top, surrounding my garden. It's a 3/4 acre site so a fair amount of bank. I'm looking to clean it up. What's best approach? Weed by hand or spray? Don't want to damage lawn or trees. Then, what do I do to prevent reoccurrence? Am thinking that weed cover sheet stuff with some ground cover plants. What would you recommend? I know nothing at all about gardening so could really do with some advice.

Thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Weeding by hand would take some time but you might uncover some small trees or other interesting plants that might have been killled by spraying. A systemic weed killer also might effect the whitethorn and other trees while something like foliage absorbed round up might be less damaging than others as it is taken up less by roots. Systemic weed killers work by getting into the system of the plant so they can damage plants even when not directly sprayed on them.

I have been working on a new garden and have found by avoiding weed killers I have been able to encourage Ivy, clover, primroses and some flowers I don't know the name of. To avoid weeds growing again it is best to plant with something to fill the space available.

The weed cover sheet over the perimeter of a 3/4 acre site sounds like a bit of work and they have a tendancy to come to the surface and look unsightly if not mulched properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any chance of a pic? Would you think of just strimming it and let it settle into grass and lower growing plants? If you strip it you could find there is so much root (and possibly built up stones) that it is impossible to get anything to grow in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd say strim it and encourage grass.

If it's staying dirty Maybe use a selective weed killer to reduce the weed numbers.

Advertisement