Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Recommendation for Parents

Options
  • 13-09-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey everyone,

I've been in the states for 7 years and have no clue whats what at home anymore... i need to get a phone for my Mother so i can send her pics and videos from here. She has no wi-fi and the location is Gowran Kilkenny. She currently has an old Nokia 3210.

** What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)

Just need to be able to receive/send pictures and video. I myself have owned a Galaxy and an iPhone, so i can help her set up Android or iOS.

** Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.

Touch

** Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE

Yes, Very, she has no Wi-Fi

** Operator - have you an operator preference

Whichever one has the best coverage in that area of Kilkenny, i would think.

** Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either

Either would work, i'll be paying anyway.

** Price range

I know iPhones are expensive, but whatever works i'll consider. Like if its 100 a month, then i suppose that's what it is.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The phone she uses at the minute, is that Payg or billpay and how many minutes would she be using?

No need to pay for an iPhone, ant android or windows phone will do what you want with skype, viber or WhatsApp. Plenty of options for under €100 on payg and €15/20 topup a month.

One option:> http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=283

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

I would get a Lumia 640, can buy it unlocked from the Microsoft Store for €179 and then go with any provider you want, meets your criteria above plus has offline maps with here maps.
    While the windows store is not as big as iOS or Android it has the messaging apps mentioned above.
    I got Windows phones for both my parents (a Lumia 620 and 720) and they find them very easy to use and seem happy with them.
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-640-LTE/productID.316648100

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

First question is whether there is a good mobile signal at her house. If not, then if she has a landline getting broadband might be wise and maybe even a tablet rather than a phone. If the signal is good then above advice is helpful.

Advertisement