Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 2020, European Capital of Culture Bid

Options
  • 13-09-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Does anyone think they have a chance of winning the bid, Honestly I think Galway already has it in the bag. The other bidders are Limerick and the Three Sisters (Wexford, Waterford and Kilkenny). I'd love to see the Three Sister win it but I doubt it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Galway's got a serious chance alright; their bid is pretty much the only one I've seen being promoted on social media for example.

The others don't seem to have got going properly; I've no bias on the matter but the 3 Sisters would be my local group; that said, growing up the Three Sisters meant the Rivers Barrow, Nore & the Suir so quite why Carlow has been omitted is beyond me; it could've formed a treble bid with any two of the three or a quadruple bid perhaps if that's not too messy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've seen a few events and things attributed to being for Dublin 2020 but I'm not sure how it works, how the final city is chosen? Are they supposed to be showing what they can do in advance of the real thing?

I did enjoy this though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why is there so many Irish entrants, is it already decided that it will be in Ireland for 2020?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Why is there so many Irish entrants, is it already decided that it will be in Ireland for 2020?

I've just looked it up there...both Ireland and Croatia have been designated for 2020 so cities in each compete then to be named as the City of Culture for that year. I think one from each country will be chosen.
    Designation of European Capitals of Culture in EU member states
    Six years before the title-year the selected host member states publish a call for applications, usually through their Ministry for Culture. Cities interested in participating in the competition must submit a proposal for consideration.

The submitted applications are reviewed against a set of established criteria during a pre-selection phase by a panel of independent experts in the field of culture. The panel agrees on a short-list of cities, which are then asked to submit more detailed applications.

The panel then reconvenes to assess the final applications and recommends one city per host country for the title. The recommended city will then be formally designated as European Capital of Culture.

From here.

Advertisement