Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock cylinder security upgrade

Options
  • 14-09-2015 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi

Id like to upgrade my lock cylinders on the front and rear doors but the choice is bewildering and every company sells the best.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier?

Thanks, i would be happy to install myself if I found a good product.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I researched it some time ago and the Avocet ABS looked good. You need to measure the distance between the lock outside and inside and but one with this size so that it's harder for the thieves to get leverage. Not sure if there's Irish suppliers, I assume there is...

http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I researched it some time ago and the Avocet ABS looked good. You need to measure the distance between the lock outside and inside and but one with this size so that it's harder for the thieves to get leverage. Not sure if there's Irish suppliers, I assume there is...

http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

Thanks a mill for that, I am going to measure up and order from the UK I think as there seems to be quite a variation in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭intro

Try lockandkey.co.uk. they have a good range of eurocylinder locks (as well as other stuff).I have got the avocet , yale superior and multilock xp locks from them (not all of these were for myself!). They will key alike etc. Not all the sizes are available in the yale superior,which are about 30% cheaper than the others although its a one star ts007 standard. I cant see what the major difference between the one star and three star is. Be careful measuring the cylinder as it is easy to get it wrong! I used parcel motel to reduce the postage.

intro wrote: »
    Try lockandkey.co.uk. they have a good range of eurocylinder locks (as well as other stuff).I have got the avocet , yale superior and multilock xp locks from them (not all of these were for myself!). They will key alike etc. Not all the sizes are available in the yale superior,which are about 30% cheaper than the others although its a one star ts007 standard. I cant see what the major difference between the one star and three star is. Be careful measuring the cylinder as it is easy to get it wrong! I used parcel motel to reduce the postage.

Cheers

Do you recommend removing the cylinder before measuring? I was going to use a calipers. Im replacing one with an internal thumb lock with key both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

amadablam wrote: »
    Cheers

Do you recommend removing the cylinder before measuring? I was going to use a calipers. Im replacing one with an internal thumb lock with key both sides.
    Yes remove the barrel and measure. When measuring take note of the way the lock goes ie outside and inside. As these could be different. As in 40 inside 50 outside. Always measure for the center of the screw hole.

• Advertisement

Ordered some of the Avocet ABS Snap Secure MK3 locks and was guided to measure from the centre of the retaining screw to the face of the handle/lock plate.

Just said Id post in case anyone was ordering from them.

Here is the link they sent me and migth just be for their lock measuring guide:

LINK

Update :

Orders some of the Avocet ABS Snap Secure MK3 locks on Tuesday from the UK and they arrived by parcel motel today and were fitted tonight, great job.

Just a tip for anyone buying them, follow avocets guide in the link above. The guy I spoke to told me that measuring the existing cylinder for their locks is good only if the existing one is the optimum length.

They measure to the face plate and my locks protrude less than 1mm beyond the face plate externally which is great.

Thanks for the help all

Advertisement