Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No correspondence after interview

Options
  • 14-09-2015 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I went to an interview with a medium sized IT firm two weeks ago come Tuesday. I was told that I would receive correspondence by Friday however I haven't heard anything back from them. What's the best way to approach this? Should I call / email the HR manager I had a interview with? What's the best way I could phrase the email also. I don't want to come across as desperate!

They were pretty fast when it came to processing my application up to this point. I think I maybe botched the interview as when the HR manager asked if I am interviewing for anywhere else and I said yes (oops!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hey all,

I went to an interview with a medium sized IT firm two weeks ago come Tuesday. I was told that I would receive correspondence by Friday however I haven't heard anything back from them. What's the best way to approach this? Should I call / email the HR manager I had a interview with? What's the best way I could phrase the email also. I don't want to come across as desperate!

They were pretty fast when it came to processing my application up to this point. I think I maybe botched the interview as when the HR manager asked if I am interviewing for anywhere else and I said yes (oops!)

Why would interviewing anywhere else be a "oops"? I don't get that culture of spining yarns, on both sides, when it comes to interviews.

I've happily answered questions like that honestly and if it goes against me then its their loss really. If I'm looking for a job, I'm looking for a job.

I'd contact the e-mail address or phone number that you were contacted by, and enquire about the situation as you would like to continue on with the job search.

I did a number of interviews when I was last looking and a large organisation called me 2 months after an interview to ask me to the next stage. Told them politely I'd accept another position and I found their timely correspondence to be poor.

Some companies think that everyone just sits in eagerness waiting on their call. Typically I'm after a company to act like they really want me, and sell me their company and position.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Agreed with TheDoc, no need to be spinning yarns. Interviewing elsewhere isn't a bad thing unless you've told the company that you're actually really happy where you are right now. It's usually an indicator to the company that they need to get a wiggle on.

My general rule of thumb is that you should give anyone a day's grace. OK, so if you say you'll come back to me on Friday, then you should come back to me on Friday. But in reality every now and again things happen, if people are busy they get dragged away and don't get a chance to follow up on things. So if someone says they'll come back to you on day X and you haven't heard from them by 5pm on the following day, then give them a quick call or an email. You'll either get an update from them straight away or you'll be top of the pile on their to-do list tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

seamus wrote: »

My general rule of thumb is that you should give anyone a day's grace. OK, so if you say you'll come back to me on Friday, then you should come back to me on Friday. But in reality every now and again things happen, if people are busy they get dragged away and don't get a chance to follow up on things. So if someone says they'll come back to you on day X and you haven't heard from them by 5pm on the following day, then give them a quick call or an email. You'll either get an update from them straight away or you'll be top of the pile on their to-do list tomorrow.

+1 on this, believe it or not (and most people don't!) HR are usually busy people, things get away occasionally... But an extra week is alot. I would send a short, polite email asking for an update on the process to the contact details of the hr person who invited you for interview.

Also, interviewing elsewhere is expected! I'd be more worried if someone was presuming they were getting the first job they applied for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had an interview with a company this year. They were quick getting me to attend the interview but even after contacting the HR Manager and receiving an apology for not getting feedback from the interviewers I still heard nothing.

Same with Irish water. A year later and I still don't know if I didn't get the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Same with Irish water. A year later and I still don't know if I didn't get the job :)

You did, and got promoted last week. Congrats! :);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rgmmg wrote: »
    You did, and got promoted last week. Congrats! :);)

Thanks.....I think :)

Advertisement