Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't see a LIONS Thread?

Options
  • 14-09-2015 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Are there (m)any Lions fans in here?

What do you think of that 2nd half collapse?

At least Ameer looks good?

But why so few passes to Megatron?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

Don't think there's too many of us knocking around.

Second half collapse was really disappointing, but Abdullah looked really good which at least is a positive. Was trying to not get caught up in the preseason hype and hopefully he'll stay injury free and have a good rookie season. Defense really missed Levy with woodhead bursting through with his rushes.

No idea why megatron was targeted so little.

Hopefully they can improve because there's a really tough run of games coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Newish fan here. The collapse was absolutely sickening only saw what they showed on redzone so can't analyse it too much. We did seem to be missing Levy massively (although Bynes was the top graded player according to PFF) as well as Warford and Waddle. I'd love to know how much of Stafford's second half performance was due to injury. I'm a fan of his so hopefully he can show more in the next game.

I've been slowly building expectation about Abdullah since reading about him and seeing college clips after he was drafted. Obviously it's still incredibly early to tell but he seems quality. Another slight positive was that at least Ebron contributed some positive plays and should take a number of strides forward.

Here's looking to next week, hopefully we can make a statement and stop the hype surrounding the Vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Gday lads, can't believe so many teams passed on Abdullah, he reminded me of our beloved LT at times, he even wears his #. The Chargers were beating themselves in the 1st half. Once our O got its act together it was lights out. Loved how our secondary did against Megatron and Tate. Having said that Stafford was disappointing. Good luck the rest of the way.

Is it time to start panicking yet? Only 2 games in, but the next three are rough!
    Broncos, seahawks in seattle and cardinals. Offensive line has been absolutely terrible and the misfiring offense can't make up for it at the moment. Stafford may end up being decapitated by that broncos d this Sunday :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

I thought Detroit was going to catch their 1st win.
    But man, i have never seen them get destroyed in their home stadium like that.

Maybe the Cardinals really are the hottest team in the NFL right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 locaoimh

I though last week was going to be their 1st win. I stayed up to watch it and felt they were very close on lots of fronts. Even taking the bad call out of it.

Last night was just a disaster. It's hard to see where the failings are. Caldwell? Lombardi? Stafford?

The defense was always going to be weaker with Suh going but it's just no good atm. I'm inclined to forgive Stafford because it looks like he is getting no time in the pocket at all.

It's all very depressing.

(You'd think that as a Chelsea fan I'd be used to it)

Well thank God it won't be another 0-16. Nice to see a number of deep throws from Stafford.

That last deep ball to megatron was beautiful. Reminiscent of the td pass to golden tate against the Falcons in London last season :-)
    Some very lucky calls this week, but there was some fight in the lions too. They really dug in to get that win when it mattered

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

The Lions are firing Joe Lombardi, along with a few assistants.

About time too. The man has been a complete disaster since arriving.

Hopefully the guys stepping in can improve things, but they've a tough task ahead of them. Surely can't be any worse!

• Advertisement

Zoton wrote: »
    Hopefully the guys stepping in can improve things, but they've a tough task ahead of them. Surely can't be any worse!

Yeah, apparently Cooter who is stepping up from QB coach to OC, is going to change a few things schematically. Hopefully this will result in more man blocking on the offensive line & ditching the zone blocking scheme which they can't seem to execute at all.
    Also Stafford should get an opportunity to throw a few more shots downfield, rather than this awful short passing game which doesn't suit him at all.

Did any of you watch the full game on Sunday? I was following the first half or so on NFL.com and then had to go out so wasn't really able to gain any proper understanding of the collapse. Seemed the defense had the problem they've had all season of giving up loads of big plays on third down but the offense seemed to start really hot before collapsing. Was it just the usual protection issues from this season?

Hopefully the coaching revamp will make a big impact in the right direction.

My admiration for Stafford is massive at the moment purely from a toughness point of view. The amount of punishment he's taken and yet he keeps getting up.

Did any of you watch the full game on Sunday? I was following the first half or so on NFL.com and then had to go out so wasn't really able to gain any proper understanding of the collapse. Seemed the defense had the problem they've had all season of giving up loads of big plays on third down but the offense seemed to start really hot before collapsing. Was it just the usual protection issues from this season?

Yeah, the defense just couldn't get off the field. The Vikings didn't have to punt till well into the 2nd half.
    The OL got progressively worse as the game wore on which effectively lost the game. One particularly awful moment was where Stafford was taking a snap from under centre & was sacked before he even finished dropping back.

Megatron contemplating retirement

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618342/article/detroit-lions-wr-calvin-johnson-mulling-retirement

Hopefully this is just an offseason hype story that won't come to fruition after (yet) another disappointing season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Zoton wrote: »
    Megatron contemplating retirement

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618342/article/detroit-lions-wr-calvin-johnson-mulling-retirement

Hopefully this is just an offseason hype story that won't come to fruition after (yet) another disappointing season
    I think he'll retrire. He clearly can't play to his best given the injuries he's had and there's no point playing for the sake of it. He was the best reciever in football for a few years , no point tarnishing that for another 6-10 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

He still had a good season. I don't see why he wouldn't keep going unless he really is badly injured and it is hurting. Hopefully he reconsiders after a long offseason.

He was the best reciever in football for a few years , no point tarnishing that for another 6-10 season.

We have a cupcake schedule next year in comparison to this seasons, so I'd be very disappointed if we somehow managed to regress to 6-10. If JBC is still on board as OC next year, we'll finally have a competent offence for a whole year & hopefully the defence won't take a step back after the likely departure of Teryl Austin.

Next year is a great opportunity to make the playoffs & I just hope Calvin will put off his retirement plans for at least one more year to help us get there & maybe even pull off a victory once there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Lionbacker wrote: »
    We have a cupcake schedule next year in comparison to this seasons, so I'd be very disappointed if we somehow managed to regress to 6-10. If JBC is still on board as OC next year, we'll finally have a competent offence for a whole year & hopefully the defence won't take a step back after the likely departure of Teryl Austin.

Next year is a great opportunity to make the playoffs & I just hope Calvin will put off his retirement plans for at least one more year to help us get there & maybe even pull off a victory once there.

Doesn't Megatron have a ludicrous cap hit next year (in excess of $20 million). Will ye carry him with that or look to restructure?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Doesn't Megatron have a ludicrous cap hit next year (in excess of $20 million). Will ye carry him with that or look to restructure?

24 million next year but it goes down significantly the year after. It's one of the reasons I think a trade isn't on the cards. Presume whoever the new GM ends up being will at least have a look at restructuring.

Been some talk about this maybe being a ploy to keep Caldwell in Detroit but that seems unlikely given the type of person he appears to be and Nate Burleson dismissed it out of hand.

I'm optimistic about next year if we keep JBC, it just seems to suit Stafford down to the ground and our schedule is a lot easier as Lionbacker already said. Still the offensive line needs massive improvement, there needs to be another DT and Whitehead has to be ahead of Tulloch.

• Advertisement

Could the open mulling of retirement be his way of saying "don't even think about asking me to take a pay cut, or restructure contract"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Am v disappointed that with a new GM the best RB coach we could come up with was ex-Caldwell when in Indy eho's been out of football since...

It's a very sad day for the Lions.

Unfortunately I was only able to see the tailend of Megatron's career but even then he was something else.

Classy player, classy guy.

Unfortunately didn't get to see him play in the flesh as he was injured when they played the Falcons in London in 2014. Would've loved to have seen him in action. Outstanding player and an upstanding citizen too, a rare breed in the NFL. So long Calvin :-(

So what do people think of the Decker pick? I didn't watch any college games this year so all I have to go on is what the analysts have said. I always felt we needed to go o-line preferably getting a LT and shifting Reiff over to the other side. However Decker seems to be viewed as being most likely a RT at this level and not a particularly great pass protector. PFF in particular are lambasting the pick but they're also saying we addressed tackle with the addition of Schwartz so I'm not really ready to trust their analysis on this one.

So basically would you have drafted Decker? If not who? Lawson? Kelly? Traded up for Tunsil?

So what do people think of the Decker pick? I didn't watch any college games this year so all I have to go on is what the analysts have said. I always felt we needed to go o-line preferably getting a LT and shifting Reiff over to the other side. However Decker seems to be viewed as being most likely a RT at this level and not a particularly great pass protector. PFF in particular are lambasting the pick but they're also saying we addressed tackle with the addition of Schwartz so I'm not really ready to trust their analysis on this one.

So basically would you have drafted Decker? If not who? Lawson? Kelly? Traded up for Tunsil?

It fills a need which is what was wanted. Hopefully we don't have to watch Stafford running for his life again against any half decent D-line. Reiff is fine at LT. Completely average, but still our best O-lineman last year. With Tomlinson getting a year of experience under his belt & becoming more acclimatised to the NFL, I'm sure the left side of the line will be better this year.
    I wouldn't take much notice of PFF. I've seen other writers elsewhere saying it was a great pick. Opinion does seem to be split on him though judging by this

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/4/29/11534970/2016-nfl-draft-grades-detroit-lions-taylor-decker

I'm happy enough with him.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    It fills a need which is what was wanted. Hopefully we don't have to watch Stafford running for his life again against any half decent D-line. Reiff is fine at LT. Completely average, but still our best O-lineman last year. With Tomlinson getting a year of experience under his belt & becoming more acclimatised to the NFL, I'm sure the left side of the line will be better this year.
    I wouldn't take much notice of PFF. I've seen other writers elsewhere saying it was a great pick. Opinion does seem to be split on him though judging by this

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/4/29/11534970/2016-nfl-draft-grades-detroit-lions-taylor-decker

I'm happy enough with him.

Yeah, fair enough. I think the line will improve anyway as like everything on offence it got better with JBC but I agree we needed an o-line pick and tackle was the position we needed most (even if Swanson does seem to be pretty poor). I'm just trying to ascertain if the tackle we got was the right one. I generally take everything PFF say with a pinch of salt especially in regard to the Lions but have generally found them to be good for o-line analysis compared to most other sites I can find.

Is there anyone you're hoping for tonight? Reckon we go DT in round 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Decent, unflashy draft by the Lions I reckon, building the o-line nicely. Trying to protect Stafford is a crazy tactic but it just might work.

Slay has been signed on until 2020 for 50 million.

Pretty happy with it. Quinn is doing a great job so far. This and the Boldin signing are tidy bits of business.

Unfortunately however Levy was placed on the PUP list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I'm only fairly new to following NFL, and had to choose a team without any thought or research....

Some crazy endings to games so far. Looks like we've a difficult 2nd half of the season with some big games away to other teams chasing playoffs (Saints & Giants) along with a trip to the Cowboys, as well as hosting the 3 return divisional games. Can we keep riding our luck with these insane 4th quarters?

Slay should be back after the bye week, but from what I read, it looks like Levy has no certain date for return.

Advertisement