Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Irish spelling easy for 7 year old

Options
  • 14-09-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My daughter has just started 2nd class and in week 2 seems to be already struggling with Irish spellings along with several of her classmates. The problem is that they have been taught to read and spell English phonetically which has been a major success, with the level of reading and writing in English at this early stage being incredible.
    She is a very bright child but cannot however phonetically spell the Irish words as they do not sound at all like English eg ceapairí and this is really upsetting her. I have also spoken to a number of other Mums who are having tears and tantrums at home because of this.
    It seems that Irish is still being taught in schools now the same way I learnt it over 30 years ago with no focus on oral before written and you can see already that the kids are taking a turn against the language.
    Does anybody have any suggestions on how to teach small children how to spell Irish and make it actually enjoyable whilst challenging to them?
    Thank you

Comments

Advertisement