Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appliance upkeep

Options
  • 14-09-2015 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Heya

Just a quick one, is the landlord responsible for services and maintenance checks on gas boilers for example. Such as yearly boiler service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Heya

Just a quick one, is the landlord responsible for services and maintenance checks on gas boilers for example. Such as yearly boiler service?

yes - s/he owns it and therefore should get it serviced... yearly may not be necessary however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

yes - s/he owns it and therefore should get it serviced... yearly may not be necessary however.

Is it not a legal requirement here?

Is it not a legal requirement here?

the yearly thing? What legislation?

the yearly thing? What legislation?

Dunno twas a genuine question, it's a legal requirement in most places I've lived for rentals - dunno about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

From what I was told and I am a landlord you must have it serviced yearly or else every 2 years but no longer then that and its the responsibility of the LL to get this done plus provide smoke detectors and a carbon dioxide detector in the property.

• Advertisement

Pac2015 wrote: »
    From what I was told and I am a landlord you must have it serviced yearly or else every 2 years but no longer then that and its the responsibility of the LL to get this done plus provide smoke detectors and a carbon dioxide detector in the property.

You sure?

and I'd watch out for Carbon Monoxide I would....

Yes definitely yearly I get mine done every year and also have carbon monoxide alarms installed on the premises its in case there is a leak from the boiler the boiler I have is fairly new only installed in 2006 but Bord Gais ring me every year to book it in and also I checked with another guy who said yes get it done yearly but some people including my own LL leave it go to two years.

Yes spelling mistake I meant Monoxide

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

LL's are responsibile for boilers sevice http://www.rgii.ie/safety/renting-tenants-landlords.2710.html

Not sure if there are requirments to have it done yearly or bi-annually etc. It most likely wont get done unless you request it though.

I asked to have our boiler serviced at the start of last winter (I was a year in the house) but when checking it noticed its last service was 2005 I think so was about 8 years between services if that sticker is correct.

I wont bother requesting a service this year as I think every two years should be fine particularity as we don't use the heating much at all.

Not sure if there are requirments to have it done yearly or bi-annually etc. It most likely wont get done unless you request it though.

I asked to have our boiler serviced at the start of last winter (I was a year in the house) but when checking it noticed its last service was 2005 I think so was about 8 years between services if that sticker is correct.

I wont bother requesting a service this year as I think every two years should be fine particularity as we don't use the heating much at all.

As a LL I would say to get a boiler serviced every year and also to have the necessary detectors in place also, if your boiler was done last in 2015 and you had it done in 2014 that is 9 years !
    For safety reasons on older boilers I would ask for it to be done every year it costs about 99 euro or a little more and the LL should pay for this.

• Advertisement

Pac2015 wrote: »
    As a LL I would say to get a boiler serviced every year and also to have the necessary detectors in place also, if your boiler was done last in 2015 and you had it done in 2014 that is 9 years !
    For safety reasons on older boilers I would ask for it to be done every year it costs about 99 euro or a little more and the LL should pay for this.

Yeah if the sticker was correct it was 9 years, its possible of course it was serviced and the sticker was just not put on from a subsequent service though.

Personally I think every second year is enough particularly for our very low usage. It basically hasn't been used since about April and only gets used a few hours a week even during the winter.

Which detectors are you referring to?

Cant you get one of these €9 a month jobbies that includes a service and repairs?

I had something like that when I was a LL in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    LL's are responsibile for boilers sevice http://www.rgii.ie/safety/renting-tenants-landlords.2710.html

Vague wording from a trade association! Of course they will tell you need to get something done as often to benefit their member. They have also made it impossible to buy anything gas boiler related without being a RGI. Yet you can buy whatever like you electrical related

I use a third generation plumber. He will tell you annual boiler services are a money making scam. Gas burns completely clean. There is no soot left behind like oil or coal, where the boiler actually has to be cleaned often enough.You are literally cleaning barely anything off the boiler

Do people get their oil boilers serviced annually even though they are far more dirty than Gas? No, as there is no trade association or large oil company (like gas companies) telling people they need to do so for "safety reasons". If a gas boiler, was so unsafe that it needed to be serviced annually. Do you think they would be allowed to put it on the market?

The whole point of a service really is to ensure no carbon monoxide is leaking into the house. Just buy a carbon monoxide alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

minimum standards are a fixed heating appliance, working

This must be maintained in good repair and safe working order.

Thats all.

The auld fella changes the oil filter and injector for a parafin boiler every 5 years or so. gas is advertised as clean so no need to change any filters or maintain anything like that.

How often do people service a hob for example?
    It'd be some swizz if you had to get a gas plumber in to clean your cooker for example...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cant you get one of these €9 a month jobbies that includes a service and repairs?

I had something like that when I was a LL in Scotland.

Yes. €9 for servicing up to €15 for full repairs are what BGE offer and there's others.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I was trying to get some info on this for myself. Recently moved into a place and im skeptical as to whether the gas boiler has been serviced in years. Since moving in we've discovered the house hasnt been maintained well by the landlord (various appliances required fixing, place wasnt cleaned etc but I wont get into that), so I have my suspicions the boiler wasnt serviced recently. The sticker on the boiler says the next service is due in 2012, and when I questioned the landlord I was told it was serviced a few months ago. Unfortunately ive no way of actually checking was the boiler serviced or not.

Until we moved it, the attitude seemed to be of complete ignorance that these issues ever existed in the first place.

Advertisement