Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiking with dog.

• 14-09-2015 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post...if not, sorry!

My OH and myself have recently discovered a love of hiking/hill walking. Our little JRx loves it, no problem with energy and we don't take him anywhere where his little paws might suffer.

My question is. As our hikes get longer (3/4 hours)we will take energy bars, some trail mix etc. for ourselves, but apart from water, should we take some food to give the little man extra energy? He's a little rocket and never slows down. I hadn't given any thought to this, but hubby thinks it might be necessary.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Keep an eye on his weight, I personally would up his food intake before and after the trail. For 3-4 hour hike I'd probably bring some high quality snacks packed with calories like peanut butter snacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I do long distance treks with the huskies, and find high fat snacks work best, as dogs use fat for energy. Sausages are a real favourite. Make sure he's well hydrated, I bait their water about an hour before we work, usually with tinned fish, just put a bit in the water, to get the fish, they drink the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Melendez wrote: »
    Other people have dogs who will whine, bark and scream at the fish until someone removes it from the water for them.

It was a great suggestion. Certainly not my dogs, they have great craic removing the goodies from the water & drink the water while doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Melendez wrote: »

Everybody that I know with working sleddogs baits their water in this way :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

muddypaws wrote: »
    Everybody that I know with working sleddogs baits their water in this way :)
    Interesting .. I recall when I was up in Sweden dogsledding that the dogs drank no liquid water at all, except from the warm water that their morning kibble was soaked in. They got a lot of water from their other meals which were chunks of meat or fish in the form of frozen blocks, but I also learnt from the guide that they are able to create a good portion of their water intake internally as part of the metabolic process of burning up of the fats in their food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

Thanks for the great advice everyone. So much great information here.

Adding something to his water will suit him perfectly, he loves playing with his drinking water....and blowing bubbles!

I really appreciate all your help.

Advertisement